Successful 2-Stage HP Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketclar

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This has been my big winter project. I read many posts here that have helped. I built the Eggtimer Proton (and a spare) and tested them with a vacuum bottle. The rocket was a LOC Sandhawk w Terrier and in my style, I lengthened both so that the entire rocket is 96" tall. This was to get the electronics in and to replace some damaged AF in the original package. I ran many sims with RockSim. Last month at our clubs launch, I launched it with everything in place except the sustainer motor in order to check out all the parameters (sustainer was just a powered dart). I used JL chute releases for both the sustainer and booster. I did have the Proton fire an ematch in that test and the data matched well with the sim. Our site waiver is only 6000' so I am working with that constraint plus I just like watching the rockets so super high isn't that important to me. The technical challenges were. This last Sat, I launched it again but with the sustainer motor. I used an AT DMS I-175-0 in the booster to a CTI G46-0. Flight to 2975 ft. The JL's were set at 400'. Everything worked well. I need to set a little more delay between BO and sustainer ignition as I didn't have drag separation...or go with a separation charge. I did put dog barf in the ISC so it didn't suffer any damage except for a little discoloration when the sustainer lit. From the on board video, I had a little more roll with the sustainer than I would like. The video is the up boost as the down is too dizzy. I used an Eggfinder GPS in the sustainer too. The booster deployment was with a RRC2+. Worked well!

Attachments

• 2-Stage Flight Up.mp4
    17.2 MB
  • IMG_20210417_142134356[1].jpg
    IMG_20210417_142134356[1].jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 72
The two hardest parts of two-stagers are 1) lighting the second stage, and 2) getting it back in one piece (well, two actually...). If you do both, then you done good.
Thanks! A shout out to Eggtimer! Cris, the Proton is great and the writeups you provided were extremely helpful! I did put CA glue on the sustainer ematch and rolled it in a little 4F. Oh, and I did get both pieces back!

Last edited:
Congratulations, you're on your way to bigger and better things. I've given up with drag separation a long time ago and just set it just after booster burnout.

Back