Subscripts and Superscripts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

jqavins

Gone beardless since then
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know that BBCode in general supports subscripts and superscripts, but they do not seem to be supported on the forum here. Is that a limitation of XenForo?

In talking about specific impulse, for example, I've used smaller type as a substitute, and I've tried inline LaTeX, and neither is really satisfactory:
The symbol for specific impulse is ISP, which can be rendered as \( I_{SP} \).
See what I mean? The smaller type looks better, not right, and that doesn't work for superscripts:
The only way to do "v squared" is \(v^2 \), with its unwanted italic and serifed typeface.

Am I missing something? ISP and v2 ought to work, but don't.

Last edited:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Let me check on it.

neil_w

Tenet Rocketworks
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
BB Code for superscript and subscript seem to be working now.

jqavins

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive.....

View attachment 452225

And when you click on math.

View attachment 452226
Well, that's one of the ways I was using, that didn't seem really satisfactory. It makes things inline look like this:
1614257752705.png
which is exactly the less-than-satisfactory result that led me to ask the question.

BB Code for superscript and subscript seem to be working now.
Uh, yeah, that does appear to be the case. I wish I had a screen shot of my OP to prove that it wasn't working, but it sure is working now. And I swear it wasn't.

Angie, are you messin' with me? Write the one answer in a post and quietly fix the other way when I'm not looking? Whatever you did, thanks.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
It was not working. So I asked the tech to make it work for the forum, and he also made that math icon work. All for you.

Kelly

Usually remembers to get the pointy end up
Reaction score
Go forth and formula
So, I use this, and LOVE it, but I just noticed in this post that if someone quotes you, the beautiful formula turns back into ugly LaTex. Is there an easy fix to this?

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Copy it with right click and paste. You can use the quote marks to make it a quote. or put around it to make it a quote.

neil_w

Tenet Rocketworks
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, I use this, and LOVE it, but I just noticed in this post that if someone quotes you, the beautiful formula turns back into ugly LaTex. Is there an easy fix to this?
Hmm, that seems like a bug in the LaTex plug-in. I can't think of any reason it *should* behave like that.

jqavins

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've also, since originally bringing this up, that for numbers and a few letters there are subscript and superscript unicode characters that one doesn't need any BBCODE or LaTeX to use. Look at the bottom rows of the second worksheet of the attached. so v² and x₁, x₂… xₙ are easy. (Though in Chrome for Windows I can't directly enter 16 bit alt codes; they're easy enough to type in Word then copy and paste into the message composition space.)

Attachments

Latest posts