Sub min J270 build and flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Model_rockets

Reaction score
Just a little post on the build and flight of a submin j270 I flew at Mini Midwest Power. This just started out as a bad idea and after a friend said I could have his j270 for cheap I was ready to go. being a Jr L1 it was a lot to take on but over about a year of on-and-off work, I was able to get it done. first is the sim. After roughing out that and making a rough cad model I was ready to start making parts. I started by drilling and tapping the forward closure on the motor. after that I got some fins cut from Wildman. Then I did three layups for the Nosecone, coupler, and body tube. I don't have any photos of that sorry but this is what they look like after some sanding. Then I started work on the Av bay which was just a flat sled with a hole in the middle. The av bay is the main thing I would change if I were to do this again I would have used the threaded rod to hold in place the coupler and place the nosecone over that and remove the body tube. but you live you learn. Then I tacked on the fins with extra control super glue. ( I really like this stuff as it gives a few more seconds than normal to get everything perfect. Then came fillets. sadly well drying it fell and all of these had to be redone :(. but in the end, I am happy with how they turned out. So with the rocket ready to go for the most part, I needed a tower. I will most likely make another thread for this as for smaller rockets this is by far the cheapest I have seen it done and a lot of people like it. So the plan was to launch this at Midwest power however due to weather and some wires I was unable to do that and so it was pushed back to Mini Midwest Power. so on the day of the launch, I was very nervous but ready to launch. I wired it all up and packed up my custom Trans tie dye chute that a friend made for me and got ready to go and put it in the tower. Then after so much work and a lot of stress, we had lift off. After quickly jumping my car. we got it back. in the end, the rocket named Zoom zoom did 12339ft and well over mach one. Overall I am very very proud of this flight and it is my highest to date. plan to go to 35k at balls but we will see.

Attachments

• j270 screenshot.jpg
    j270 screenshot.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 0
  • j270 cad model.jpg
    j270 cad model.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
  • EE4E4FEC-CE92-432D-AD45-9F95F1E3B4B3.jpg
    EE4E4FEC-CE92-432D-AD45-9F95F1E3B4B3.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3320.jpg
    IMG_3320.jpg
    816.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3630.jpg
    IMG_3630.jpg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3619.JPG
    IMG_3619.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230527_205522762.jpg
    PXL_20230527_205522762.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Untitled video - Made with Clipchamp.mp4
    47 MB
Great flight! Couple questions though (just for clarification)
being a Jr L1 it was a lot to take on….
If you’re a Jr. L1… how did you fly a J motor? Did you turn 18 and get L2 during the year of off and on work?

Overall great work! You say 35k at balls? 12k to 35k is a big jump… what flights are planned between now and then

Great flight! Couple questions though (just for clarification)

If you’re a Jr. L1… how did you fly a J motor? Did you turn 18 and get L2 during the year of off and on work?

Overall great work! You say 35k at balls? 12k to 35k is a big jump… what flights are planned between now and then
well tmp and no flights are planned inbetween the two.

Good luck with the higher flights! If possible, I would recommend doing some flights between the 12k and 35k as having more experience is never a bad thing.

But still, as I understand it, tmp is like NAR’s jr.L1 program in that you can only launch up to I motors. Did you fly the J in someone else’s name (I.e under a parent or mentor’s L2 cert)? I’m still confused on that

Good luck with the higher flights! If possible, I would recommend doing some flights between the 12k and 35k as having more experience is never a bad thing.

But still, as I understand it, tmp is like NAR’s jr.L1 program in that you can only launch up to I motors. Did you fly the J in someone else’s name (I.e under a parent or mentor’s L2 cert)? I’m still confused on that

The Tripoli Mentoring Program allows the Junior flyer to fly whatever motors the mentor is certified for, since the mentor's name is ultimately on the flight card. It's kind of a level 1 because when the Junior turns 18 they receive Level 1 certification automatically.
Edit: my mistake corrected by Conway, below.

Last edited:
The Tripoli Mentoring Program allows the Junior flyer to fly whatever motors the mentor is certified for, since the mentor's name is ultimately on the flight card. It's kind of a level 1 because when the Junior turns 18 they receive Level 1 certification automatically.
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying.

Actually that's incorrect. There is a L1 certification that a TMP can do with their mentor. you can be TMP but not L1. You dont automatically become L1 unless youve done a L1 cert flight.

Directly from the TRA certification page on TMP

TMP Level 1 Certifcation Flight

Upon successful completion of the TMP exam, the Junior member may in conjunction with their TMP mentor conduct a Level 1 certification flight. This will be recorded and the member issued with a membership card noting a new certification level M1.

If the member is still a Tripoli member upon their eighteenth birthday, Tripoli will recognize this as officially having completed their Level 1 certification and a new membership card issued recognizing their Level 1 certification.

The certification flight is to be witnessed by a Prefect, TAP or Director of Tripoli.

Curious, as someone thats flown over 30k several times. Why no other flights in between? I cant recommend highly enough to get experience flying up to those heights. Lots change at higher altitude above 30k jet stream, etc,. Even ejection charges dont work the same at those altitude and higher.

Does your Mentor have experience in flying and recovering from these altitudes? Will you have them as part of the build and recovery set up process?

Last edited:
Actually that's incorrect. There is a L1 certification that a TMP can do with their mentor. you can be TMP but not L1. You dont automatically become L1 unless youve done a L1 cert flight.

Directly from the TRA certification page on TMP

TMP Level 1 Certifcation Flight

Upon successful completion of the TMP exam, the Junior member may in conjunction with their TMP mentor conduct a Level 1 certification flight. This will be recorded and the member issued with a membership card noting a new certification level M1.

If the member is still a Tripoli member upon their eighteenth birthday, Tripoli will recognize this as officially having completed their Level 1 certification and a new membership card issued recognizing their Level 1 certification.

The certification flight is to be witnessed by a Prefect, TAP or Director of Tripoli.

Thanks. I'd always read it as one thing, didn't read the may very well.

Technically the program is set up so the flyer on record and flyer responsible for anything with the flight is the Mentor not the TMP. This allows the TMP flyer to be a part of the flight process. But Technically its not recorded or their specific flight as its listed as a mentor flight so the ability to fly up to the impulse that the mentor is certified for is possible. It does have to also reach approval from RSO and mentor to be flown. This helps to hopefully get the mentor involved into the build process with the TMP. As well as uses the experience of the Mentor.

Here is the mentor rules for TMP program directly from the TRA page.

Rules for Mentors​

The Mentor’s role in this process is very important. Mentors take full responsibility for every mentored flight (i.e. they are the Flier of Record). If you are Mentoring a teen, please take this responsibility seriously. Teach your advisees about rocket and range safety.

Only mentor flights within your competence level, not just within your certification level. Remember that it is your job to ensure that every rocket used in a mentored flight is built with the level of skill necessary for the project.
  • Mentors must be Tripoli Senior members in good standing.
  • The Mentor is the flyer-of-record on mentored flights and is fully responsible and liable for the flight as if it were his/her own. The Mentor must ensure that the flight card on a mentored flight reflects the Mentor’s status as flyer of record and includes the Mentor’s Tripoli number. Junior flyers may be listed on the flight card as the owner of the rocket.
  • The Mentor is responsible for and will handle all aspects of the launch involving all materials which require high power certification.
  • The Mentor must be present with the Junior flyers during the pre-flight safety inspection by the RSO. As the flyer-of-record, the Mentor is responsible for ensuring the rocket meets the criteria for passage of the pre-flight safety inspection.
  • Mentored flights can be made only with motors that the Mentor can legally purchase and/or possess and that follow Tripoli safety codes.
  • Additionally, the Mentor is responsible for direct supervision of Junior flyers while at the pad and in the prep area. The Mentor is responsible for ensuring that Junior flyers are familiar with safe range practices and know how to conduct themselves in a safety conscious manner.

Last edited:
Curious, as someone thats flown over 30k several times. Why no other flights in between? I cant recommend highly enough to get experience flying up to those heights. Lots change at higher altitude above 30k jet stream, etc,. Even ejection charges dont work the same at those altitude abd higher.

Does your Mentor have experience in flying and recovering from these altitudes? Will you have them as part of the build and recovery set up process?
yes they do have experience flying at those altitudes and I already have accounted for bp charges not working the same. And I have do custom body tubes and nose cone and tip to tip that I feel very confident building the rocket. And I have run it through open rocket,ras aero and done damping ratio calculations and fin flutter calculations. All of them come back to the rocket being right where it should be. And yes they will end up helping with the build but majority of it will be done by me.

Back