Styrene gluing question..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Howdy,

I posted in another thread that I was building a Quest Tomahawk, and that I replaced the card stock shroud with a styrene duplicate. Much nicer and cleaner looking.

I used Maxi-Cure Cyanoacrylate glue and it bonded instantly to seal the shroud, then I used Great Planes Wood glue with Aliphatic resin to glue the shrouds internal centering ring onto the MM.

So, before I screw up here, my question is:

Which glue should I use to glue the balsa fins onto the styrene shroud ?

I could use Super Glue, laying down a base coat on the balsa first, then drop each into position on the shroud...( touchy situation using this method because I've seen how fast the super glue bonds to the styrene - instant is too slow.) lol

or I could use Bob Smith Industries Epoxy.

I'd try wood glue but I've a feeling it won't bond to the styrene properly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

R.S.

Hi
A lot depends on how thick the styrene is, if it is .015 or less I use CA but rought up the surface first and use PVA fillets. If the styrene is over .015 thick I use plastic cement as used in model aircraft kits, the stuff in tubes,and againPVA fillets.
If you have any scraps of styrene over you could try the plastic cement firsdt and see if the styrene melts.
Thats what I use so hope it helps.
David

Back