Stupid mother $&@?ing! TLP Pershing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk8Xedge

Reaction score
Started working on my TLP Pershing yesterday everything was going great was psyched to work on it today. Yesterday I tested the fit with the shrouds and main body tube and the shroud went over it which I want so I can cut the excess so it looks seamless once I add a little filler now the god damn thing isn't going under the shroud and it pissed me off that after trying to get it to work I threw it on the floor and kicked it like a damn soccer ball...I'm done with it

I'm walking away from it for a bit before I do serious damage that I'll regret.

Wow, That's a bummer. I would'a contacted the vendor and queried them. The might've given you some additional tips and sent some needed parts replacements gratis. Now you have nothing.

It's been awhile since I've had this experience but I now make it a habit to set aside whatever I'm doing and go to something else to take my mind off of it for while. After the high emotion has settled down, I can think a little more clearly
and you'd be surprised how some vendors will react. Sometimes they suggest a remedy for little or no cost. Kurt

Yesterday the main body tube slid perfectly into the 3rd shroud and then I was going to cut the excess 1/16-1/8 off but now it doesn't and there is a slight over hang which is aggravating me to no end.

I'm going to sell my Indigo kit that is still in the package now. I didn't know that you have to cut the fins out of a piece of balsa.

Don't get wrong I love these kits. I can't even look at an Estes kit without giving it the stink eye but I always put it together without gluing just to see everything fits how I want it to and I did but that was yesterday.

It's unclear exactly what didn't fit today but it would have been better to regroup and come up with a fix later. Paper shrouds, especially big ones never seem to fit perfectly for me. I'm sure that is user error since I never have perfected those skills.

I'm going to sell my Indigo kit that is still in the package now. I didn't know that you have to cut the fins out of a piece of balsa.

I know I am almost old as dirt but when I started building model rockets that was part of the process cutting and sanding fins to shape.

...the god damn thing isn't going under the shroud and it pissed me off that after trying to get it to work I threw it on the floor and kicked it like a damn soccer ball...I'm done with it...

Xanax is your friend..:cool:

I know I am almost old as dirt but when I started building model rockets that was part of the process cutting and sanding fins to shape.

+1 on that. I now prefer laser cut on kits but haven't figured out how to do that on my scratch builds :)

+1 on that. I now prefer laser cut on kits but haven't figured out how to do that on my scratch builds :)

Costs a bit of money but can be done, if the design justifies it. It's a somewhat fun process in and of itself (like 3D printing), if you're comfortable with the computer side of things.

Back on topic: I have felt that kind of frustration many times, although (thankfully) not too often with rocket builds (yet). The hardest thing can be to just take a slow, deep breath, put it down and walk away without doing anything you'll regret. I usually allow myself a few loudly uttered expletives to release a bit of the energy, hopefully not within earshot of my daughter. :)

Started working on my TLP Pershing yesterday everything was going great was psyched to work on it today. Yesterday I tested the fit with the shrouds and main body tube and the shroud went over it which I want so I can cut the excess so it looks seamless once I add a little filler now the god damn thing isn't going under the shroud and it pissed me off that after trying to get it to work I threw it on the floor and kicked it like a damn soccer ball...I'm done with it

I distinctly remember getting physical with an uncooperative Estes Shrike... when I was, like, 12 ! (and my Dad gave me hell for it too). Live and learn... and next time kick the soccer ball, not the rocket. There are many TLP build threads here and a recurring theme is building several shrouds as an exercise as well as backups.

XActo Razor Saw and a steel straight edge have served me well over the years :)

[video=youtube;BQ4yd2W50No]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No[/video]

Costs a bit of money but can be done, if the design justifies it. It's a somewhat fun process in and of itself (like 3D printing), if you're comfortable with the computer side of things.

I was referring to the fact that I am challenged when it comes to cutting out and positioning lots of paper parts. Money won't help...requires more practice. My paper rockets often end up looking good at 10'.

Back on topic....I end up trimming a lot one one end and filling/patching on the other. Or building up a tube on one end and trimming/sanding the overlap on the other. Om paper shrouds, a little overlap is your friend.

Last edited:

Wow, that's old school. Alpha's used to come with a sheet of balsa and you cut the pattern for the fins out of the instructions, kinda like the tri-fold shock cord mount is now. They never were quite the same, so you had to stack and sand to get them even. Ah, good times...

The TLP should be changed to TLC....cuz that's what you need.

I built the TLP Pershing, took a good long while to complete it, I put it aside when I needed to reenergize and returned to it later - I have to say it is one of the nicer TLP kits when finished.
My gripe was the paper fold over fins do take a beating over time, I've had to repair them more than once after flights and transporting around.
Someday I may strip them off and go solid balsa.

If you need to make a new shroud/transition, use the original one as a guide, make an adjustment, - or there are online shroud calculators you can experiment with.
https://rocketry.newcenturycomputers.net/shroudcalc.html

Too good not to finish this one!

Last edited:
Whenever you are working on a kit that requires shrouds, it is ALWAYS a good idea to make copies of the shroud patterns before you start the build.

You could always try sending it my way, and seeing if I can figure it out... :wink:

and for a modest builder fee(and shipping) one might get it back someday :).
Rex

This would all be moot if just one old company could remake the molds for the glorious two part nose cone. The molds for the fins are fine. The BT 101 would be reborn. Some nice decals and the reissue kit could retail for at least $100.00, a third of the average Ebay price for an old, opened kit. But this is just a pipe dream, clouds in my coffee. Maybe a new Honest John Maxi Brute? That is more likely. Until then all we have left to do is to curse at TLP kit. Where is my orange and black electrical tape? Where are the stick-on white and red vinyl letters and numbers? Who is the lucky guy with and old OOP kit from any manufacturer? Can I get some cool vinyl cut small enough? Scratchers? I need my MGM 31! The Rocket that built my home town! IRBMs forever! Pershing must fly!

Well, I'm a dufus...my comment was on the wrong thread :facepalm:

Last edited:
Not knowing anything about these kits would using index card stock as a replacement for the paper shrouds be of any benefit? You might also check out "Shapeways" and locate what parts you might need as replacements. If they are not initially offered in the scale you require, (I'm guessing 1/10.5) just ask the manufacturer. Most of them can offer you the parts in your desired scale as it's all 3D printing.

Back