STUDY SUMMARY- "Feasibility of A-12 (SR-71) for Air Launched Reconnaissance System"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke strawwalker

Reaction score
Here's a study I picked up relating to modifying the SR-71 Blackbird to launch a Polaris missile-based orbital spysat on "once around" reconnaissance missions...

While technically feasible (which is pretty interesting in itself) I can see a lot of downsides instantly with the idea... a lot of them similar to the idea of launching ICBM's or SLBM's with precision guided conventional warheads instead of nukes-- of course the enemy or any adversary at which this thing might be launched would have NO WAY OF KNOWING that the missile carried a conventional precision-guided warhead versus a nuclear weapon, and thus would be quite likely to respond as if they were being attacked with a nuclear weapon inbound, and respond in kind... not good!

There's also the downside that the bomber-launched ICBM's, like the Skybolt missiles in the 60's... it has the drawbacks of both a bomber and a missile (bomber is a launch platform that is particularly vulnerable to attack on the ground and in the air, mechanical difficulties add to reliability concerns, and the missile has the disadvantage of not being able to be recalled, unlike a bomber dropping gravity bombs). Of course not being a weapon delivery system, this is partially negated, but still... if you're going to need a rocket and have to put the payload into orbit (even one only 80 miles high) then why not just launch it from the CONUS or a suitable base elsewhere, from the ground, and forego the difficulties of air launch altogether?? Or, if you're going to have a hypersonic aircraft, why not use it to perform the mission and forego the use of the high-altitude, short-mission duration missile-lofted cameras altogether?? Basically the drawbacks of BOTH the manned hypersonic aircraft AND an orbital satellite platform, with few real benefits... PLUS the risk of it LOOKING to enemy radars or missile detection systems to be an SLBM launch, or even if they understand the spysat mission, there would always be the suspicion it might be a first-strike weapon, if the missile were weaponized with a nuclear warhead in place of the once-around spysat...

At any rate, it's an interesting study... gives one something neat to do that nobody else on the range will have, if you have a spare Estes SR-71 kit laying around-- modify it with a BT-50 size Polaris missile slung underneath it!!

Here's the summary... pics will be coming shortly...

Later! OL JR :)

View attachment STUDY SUMMARY- Feasibilty Report- Modification of A-12 for Air Launched Reconnaissance System.txt

sr71missilelauncheraq.jpg
sr71missilelauncherar.JPG
sr71missilelauncheras.JPG
sr71missilelauncherat.JPG
sr71missilelauncherau.jpg

A few more, including a drawing of the NOT recommended "top mount" version with the Polaris missile being carried on the BACK of the SR-71 rather than slung underneath-- basically it required rails to allow the missile to "slide" out/off the back of the aircraft for launch, which caused a huge aft CG shift as this occurred, making the plane susceptible to any disturbance causing a severe and violent "pitch up" just as the missile was sliding clear to the rear of the aircraft... not a good situation to be in...

Last edited:
sr71missilelauncherav.jpg
sr71missilelauncheraw.jpg
sr71missilelauncherax.JPG

I love the letter from Kelly Johnson above... VERY cool.... (he designed the SR-71/A-12).

The "petals" on the back of the missile were part of the modifications necessary to air-launch the Polaris from the SR-71... basically they provided "shuttlecock stability" (just like the "Birdie" rocket-powered badminton birdie shuttlecock does, only with a ballistic missile on the front) for the separation and launch phase of the missile. Once the missile was free and clear of the SR-71, the missile motor would fire up, (five seconds after separation from the aircraft at Mach 3.2) and the tail fairing, including the "shuttlecock" drag fins, would be jettisoned as the missile then flew under liquid injection thrust vector control, as in the regular Polaris missile...

Last edited:
So, NOBODY cared about launching a POLARIS MISSILE from underneath an SR-71?? WOW... didn't see that coming!

Oh well, maybe something else will be more interesting... Later! OL JR :)

Somehow never saw the post! It would be interesting to see how much damage the missile would have sustained from repeated mach 3 flights...I know they are designed to take one, but what about heat cycling?

rick

I know they tried and succeeded in launching drones, didn't know they wanted to launch missiles too!

I know they tried and succeeded in launching drones, didn't know they wanted to launch missiles too!

Well, actually what they were shooting for was a small satellite launch-- specifically, a small spysat that they could launch quickly (in the event of say international tensions, or the detection of an imminent test of a new missile or rocket or something of that sort) that would basically overfly the enemy territory and be recovered after a single orbit or even a partial orbit... This wasn't technically speaking a weapon system, though of course the possibility that it could be adapted to that role certainly existed...

The D-21 drone program took this proposals place, I'd suppose. It was canceled after an attempted launch destroyed the SR-71 carrying it and killed the crew. Of course, that drone was launched off the back of the SR-71, which this study dumped fairly early on as "too risky"...

Interesting stuff to be sure... similar to the study for launching modified Minuteman missiles as space launchers from underneath B-58 Hustler aircraft I posted recently... I have on on the B-1 bomber as well I need to do when I get a chance... stay tuned!

A B-58 would need extensive modifications to take off with a Minuteman. In the early 1970s, a Minuteman missile was dropped out of a C-5A and launched.

Luke,
I agree..the letter from Kelly Johnson is VERY cool....talk about a genius! What did he design? as a kid out of college he designs the P-38 (classic)...he designs the F-80 (classic)...he tries thinking out of the box and designs the U-2 ...in what? a year? then for giggles...he designs the SR-71...probably still the greatest aircraft of all time...and heck, lets just invent production methods for the Blackbird along the way....just unbelievable. I heard somewhere that he was tough to work for..kinda irascible...but all in all....just an unbelievable career.....and that's just the stuff we know of!
another excellent find! Thank you for posting and sorry for my late response!
Rick

View attachment 143688
View attachment 143689
View attachment 143690

I love the letter from Kelly Johnson above... VERY cool.... (he designed the SR-71/A-12).

The "petals" on the back of the missile were part of the modifications necessary to air-launch the Polaris from the SR-71... basically they provided "shuttlecock stability" (just like the "Birdie" rocket-powered badminton birdie shuttlecock does, only with a ballistic missile on the front) for the separation and launch phase of the missile. Once the missile was free and clear of the SR-71, the missile motor would fire up, (five seconds after separation from the aircraft at Mach 3.2) and the tail fairing, including the "shuttlecock" drag fins, would be jettisoned as the missile then flew under liquid injection thrust vector control, as in the regular Polaris missile...

Back