Stuck in Cincinnati

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Well, long story short. On Tuesday we were driving back from my parents house in TN. We were half way between Louisville and Cincinnati when my Trailblazers transmissions decided to call it quits. The RPM's immediately shot up to around 4K and I let off the gas. Realizing I lost power train I start pulling over. Do a bunch of diagnosing. No movement fwd or backwards. Wont stay in first, goes immediately to 2nd. I tried the 4WD modes see if those work. No joy. It won't let me put it in 4 Lo. I check Trans fluid. Had fluid. So Jess and I were sitting on the side of 71 N for about 5 hours until the tow truck came and got us. We dropped it off at a shop within range of my covered towing, and my brother was waiting for us at the shop. After a quick meal at Waffle House, we got home finally at around 1:30 am. Today finally got a diagnostic and made a decision what to do. Driver side tie rod was broken, which wasn't the case before the tow. We had them order a remanufactured transmission. It was not the cheapest option, but it was warrantied for 5 years, and had the shortest time table on getting the parts. Last time I had a car that had tranny issues I opted to just trade it in. But with the way things are nowadays... finding a good used affordable car is next to impossible. I had to borrow money and made the $2500 down payment. Total price is about $4100. Was planning on going home on Monday, but it looks like it will be up to 2 weeks from now before my car is ready, Fortunately I already have next week off, and I should enough vacation time to cover beyond that. I can work remotely too. What a good start for the new year.

Well, long story short. On Tuesday we were driving back from my parents house in TN. We were half way between Louisville and Cincinnati when my Trailblazers transmissions decided to call it quits. The RPM's immediately shot up to around 4K and I let off the gas. Realizing I lost power train I start pulling over. Do a bunch of diagnosing. No movement fwd or backwards. Wont stay in first, goes immediately to 2nd. I tried the 4WD modes see if those work. No joy. It won't let me put it in 4 Lo. I check Trans fluid. Had fluid. So Jess and I were sitting on the side of 71 N for about 5 hours until the tow truck came and got us. We dropped it off at a shop within range of my covered towing, and my brother was waiting for us at the shop. After a quick meal at Waffle House, we got home finally at around 1:30 am. Today finally got a diagnostic and made a decision what to do. Driver side tie rod was broken, which wasn't the case before the tow. We had them order a remanufactured transmission. It was not the cheapest option, but it was warrantied for 5 years, and had the shortest time table on getting the parts. Last time I had a car that had tranny issues I opted to just trade it in. But with the way things are nowadays... finding a good used affordable car is next to impossible. I had to borrow money and made the $2500 down payment. Total price is about $4100. Was planning on going home on Monday, but it looks like it will be up to 2 weeks from now before my car is ready, Fortunately I already have next week off, and I should enough vacation time to cover beyond that. I can work remotely too. What a good start for the new year.
That blows, sorry to hear of the trouble.

I have a 2017 Hyundai Tucson with 68K on the clock currently at a dealership in IL with a broken engine. Might be done in the next 4-6 weeks, and we are already 4 weeks into this fun. Woof...

I love Skyline Chili. Price Hill Chili is also good D:

Seriously, this setback is going put a damper on rocket flying in 2023....

Worst chili I ever had was in Cincinnati.

You're lucky you survived 5 hours in that weather! Stay warm.

$4000 is sure a lot of HPR motors. Oh well.

I love Skyline Chili. Price Hill Chili is also good D:

Seriously, this setback is going put a damper on rocket flying in 2023....
so sorry to hear all this and I know all too well about car repairs as our alternator went out last week in the SUV and they wanted $1,200 to replace it :eek:

so sorry to hear all this and I know all too well about car repairs as our alternator went out last week in the SUV and they wanted $1,200 to replace it :eek:
$1,200 for an alternator? Someone is ripping you off. I had my alternator replaced earlier this year, as well as my AC compressor and battery. Before this Trip I replaced the variable timing solenoid (which includes an oil change) and had the car inspected for issues that may cause me problems during this trip. Results of that, got my tires rotated and Water Pump needed replaced. My Mechanic lets me order my own parts so the Water Pump was confirmed bad because it failed three days after I ordered it. So I just borrowed a work vehicle until the new water pump came in :).

Of course, these inspections can't detect everything. My transmission showed no signs of failing until it just decided to go at little over 170,000 miles.

Well, long story short. On Tuesday we were driving back from my parents house in TN. We were half way between Louisville and Cincinnati when my Trailblazers transmission
Sorry to hear that- broken cars are the worst. (I hate to have problems with my cars which I find ironic since my father owned a garage for 60 years and made a living repairing car problems.)

About 10 years ago I was coming back from a 400 mile trip with my daughter and halfway back the transmission went out in my SHO. We could add fluid and get it to go but it was pumping the fluid back out pretty fast. We called my wife and told her to come get us, and I called my nephew to come get the car with the tow truck. I had the transmission rebuilt at a shop and when I picked it up the shop assured me that they don't have problems with them. About 10 months later I sold the car, and 3 months after that the transmission went out again, 1 month past the end of the warranty. I tried to get the new owners let me send the tow truck to get it and have a discussion with the trans shop about their work, but they wanted to mess with it on their own. I don't think they ever repaired it and it probably ended up being scrapped. I bought a car with manual transmission so I wouldn't have automatic transmissions fail of me, but now I'm back to a vehicle with an automatic.

Publix grocery stores in SE Georgia carry frozen Skyline sauce. Used to live near Cincinnati (near King's Island) and used to visit the restaurants also their competitor Empress Chili.

Well the expected date the shop is going get the transmission is the 9th. Could be sooner. Could be later.

Since I am stuck in Cincinnati I wasn't able to make it to my other jobs annual gathering. So I was told to take my wife out to dinner on the company card :D. So we went to Price Hill Chili. We also stopped at Hobby Lobby. I bought my wife a bunch of crafty stuff, and got a couple rockets to build (using my own card of course).
IMG_20230106_212213030.jpg
signal-2023-01-06-19-57-58-387-1.jpg
signal-2023-01-06-19-57-58-387-3.jpgsignal-2023-01-06-19-57-58-387-2.jpg
signal-2023-01-06-19-57-58-387.jpgsignal-2023-01-06-19-57-58-387-4.jpg
signal-2023-01-06-21-01-14-265.jpg

Good news :D Car is finally Done! Bad news, there was some other issues that had to be fixed. Turns out cylinder #2 was misfiring. Now I did have a check engine light come on when I was driving back from TN, and I do have a Code reader in the back of my car, which I tried to get out when I stopped for fuel, but It was burried, and I didn't want to unload the car to try and get to it. I figured it was a evac issue anyway. So I had them go ahead an take care of that. Well they discovered oil in the cylinders and coil number 6 also needed replaced (It hasn't failed yet, but might as well replace it now since #5 and 6 are a pita to get to.) and since everything has to be cleared anyway to replace gaskets to fix the oil leak, might as well replace all the spark plugs. Fortunately, for all the additional work they did, I think they charged a fair price. The Parts were around what I'd pay for them, and their labor was fair. I mean, if I had it done local, my mechanic would do it for labor free or reduced labor cost depending on the job... but the car is 500+ miles from home.
So that being said, the additional work is about $800 above the initial quote. Tomorrow afternoon I will pick up my car, and Wednesday we will finally make our way back home to PA :D.

Yeah, that's how it goes with older vehicles. My 2004 XTerra was showing the "Service Engine Soon" light (their version of the Check Engine light), the code was a bad catalytic converter... just in time for me to have to get it reregistered/resmogged. I just replaced one of the injectors, too. Pouring another $2000 into a 19-year old truck doesn't sound very smart... until you look at the cost to replace it. $35K, at least, probably closer to $40K. I own it, and I'll be damned if I'm going into debt for a vehicle that I only drive about 4,000 miles a year in and only use for going out to launches.

Good news :D Car is finally Done! Bad news, there was some other issues that had to be fixed. Turns out cylinder #2 was misfiring. Now I did have a check engine light come on when I was driving back from TN, and I do have a Code reader in the back of my car, which I tried to get out when I stopped for fuel, but It was burried, and I didn't want to unload the car to try and get to it. I figured it was a evac issue anyway. So I had them go ahead an take care of that. Well they discovered oil in the cylinders and coil number 6 also needed replaced (It hasn't failed yet, but might as well replace it now since #5 and 6 are a pita to get to.) and since everything has to be cleared anyway to replace gaskets to fix the oil leak, might as well replace all the spark plugs. Fortunately, for all the additional work they did, I think they charged a fair price. The Parts were around what I'd pay for them, and their labor was fair. I mean, if I had it done local, my mechanic would do it for labor free or reduced labor cost depending on the job... but the car is 500+ miles from home.
So that being said, the additional work is about $800 above the initial quote. Tomorrow afternoon I will pick up my car, and Wednesday we will finally make our way back home to PA :D.
Quite an ordeal

If you break down again ( heaven forbid!) near Columbus / New Albany, at least I can buy you dinner. Here for a couple weeks of work again.

Got stranded in Bamberg going to the last launch and missed it. Ended up having a tow back to Statesboro - 80 miles. The van is only 5 years old with 27K miles. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Where do you get a code reader for a Dodge minivan? If I get stranded again I will have no choice but to buy a different van.

BTW, used to live north of Cincinnati near Kings Island and would eat at Skyline whenever possible. Hilton Head Island, SC had a restaurant for a while, ate there a couple times. Publix super markets here in GA carry frozen Skyline sauce. Buy, heat and put over pasta. Add onions, cheese, and/or beans to make 3, 4, or 5 way. Just built a new Publix (open 1 month) and they *do* carry Skyline. Wal Mart carries canned Skyline but it's *not* the same.

Well, got my car back but not without issues. First of all I topped the fuel off at the first gas station I saw, Then in a short while, I had to turn around at the next exit and take it back the shop. Billowing smoke looks cool behind rockets, not cars. Turns out one of the new gaskets sprung a leak and was spraying oil onto my hot engine. So we sat in the shop while they fixed the problem. I asked them to make sure they check the oil level afterwards. and they said they had to add a quart. That's quite a bit oil loss. So on the way back to Cincinnati, I was watching for significant smoke as long as I could, and then after a while I pulled into a gas station to pop the hood and check to see if there was any signs of oil being sprayed all over the place. Looked nice and clean. I checked the oil level and it looked fine. Now I was also a bit concerned about the mileage, at first it was consuming gas quickly, but with the leak that would of meant a loss of vacuum which would kill gas milage. Also, I did have a check engine light come on which was said it was running rich. I cleared the code and it did not come back. It may of been related to the vacuum leak or the oil getting everywhere, I am not sure. But when I got back to Cincy, I topped the tank of again and crunched the numbers again and the milage was no worse than it was before I got all the work done. I figured the milage was really bad before I got the gasket fixed (again) and then then when we finally headed back the milage improved and it averaged out. So I will crunch the numbers when I top the tank off again and see if the numbers improve. But I would expect my mileage to improve with al the work that I had done to the car recently.

Just topped off the tank at my first stop. Crunched the numbers and the milage is back to where it should be. Hope I have a repeat performance between now and the next fillup

Back