Stuck forward closure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donaldsrockets

Reaction score
Hey all

Recently I sold a member on here a like new 24/40 casing. Unfortunately he is having a bit of a hard time getting the forward closure off.

He has tried WD-40 so far without success. I told him to try heating it up slowly and see if that helps.

Anyone else here have any good ideas?

Get a length of PVC tubing - probably half inch for that size motor, and perhaps a foot long. Stick it in the tube. Holding motor, slam PVC onto something solid. Have hand capping top of motor to keep from launching the bulkhead.

Gerald

PS - Heating aluminum destroys the temper and renders it potentially unsafe as a motor tube.

Get a length of PVC tubing - probably half inch for that size motor, and perhaps a foot long. Stick it in the tube. Holding motor, slam PVC onto something solid. Have hand capping top of motor to keep from launching the bulkhead.

Gerald

PS - Heating aluminum destroys the temper and renders it potentially unsafe as a motor tube.

Not sure that will work for a 24/40 motor, other then totally destroy the thread on the case and the forward closure.

I've used a strap wrench on the tube and the forward closure in the pipe part of a vice. It doesn't do good things to the forward closure, but it is still usable. It's just ugly after.

No suggestions for freeing it up, but a little advice on how to prevent it in the first place- clean after use, grease the threads like instructed, and be careful of cross threading. Have to take care of those expensive cases/closures!!

Update, the forward closure has been liberated!

I stuck it in a just boiled water bath and did something else for awhile. Came back and it unscrewed like a dream

Latest posts

Back