Stryker - A Barclone design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1590201566951.png
This is a design by C. P. Mcgraw
Barclone page is here:
https://barclone.rocketshoppe.com/proven.htmLots of cool designs with Rocsim files for parts and templates.
This is my first Barclone build.
The Stryker came to my attention when I noticed the laser cut fin set available at erockets.
I was not familiar with a design called the Stryker so I emailed Randy Boadway to inquire.
Comes to find out that it's on the Barclone page at Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe.
Parts:
0522201656[1].jpg
Laser cut fin set, nose cone, ST-10 tube, and EM 7-10 engine mount from erockets (ordered a long time ago, don't know if they're still available).
Other small parts coming from my stash (chute, launch lug, screw eye, shock cord, Kevlar leader, snap swivels, etc.)
Don't remember where I downloaded and printed the instructions from.
Maybe YORF.
TBC

They have some cool plans there. That one might look nice with a little cardstock canopy on the nose cone, like an interceptor.

Assembled the engine mount.
0522202156[1].jpg

Copied the fin alignment guide (overhead type) to heavy cardstock and glued an expended engine casing to it.
0522202156a[1].jpg

A piece of scrap BT-50 tube will slip over this and telescope into the ST-10 main body tube for alignment purposes.

The two main wings are built from 3 parts, the main wing, forward strake, and rear strake.
Arranged the six pieces with the root chords abutting a straight edge on wax paper.
0522201734[1].jpg

Glued the pieces together and covered with another sheet of wax paper.
This is weighted with a heavy object and allowed to dry overnight.
0522201740[1].jpg

Calling it a night.
TBC

The wings came out straight and flat, no warpage.
0523200829[1].jpg

I cut the vacu-form canopy out and wrapped a piece of sandpaper around a scrap ST-10 tube.
Then contour sanded checking the fit frequently.
When the fit was good it was glued with thick CA to the nose cone.
0523200830[1].jpg

Mounted the airframe to the alignment guide and lined up the launch lug line to the spot.
And started gluing the ventral fins
0523200831[1].jpg

The two tail rudders (I trimmed the guide at this point because it was a bit unwieldy).
0523200855[1].jpg

And finally the two wings. They're heavy, so I used my 2 point spot CA tack method.
0523201059[1].jpg

View from the top
0523201103[1].jpg

And from the side with nose cone on.
0523201107[1].jpg

Almost there!
Need to let these dry before filleting.
TBC.

Maybe I should add orange pods on the wing tips?😄
For paint I was thinking red white and blue with contrasting colors on the leading edges of the wings and fins.
That's why I left the edges square. ;)
And thanks to GlenP for the canopy suggestion.
Assembly update later today.

Last edited:
very nice! you don't need tip pods, but could just paint the wing tips orange or just a stripe, maybe, if that fits in with your color scheme.

very nice! you don't need tip pods, but could just paint the wing tips orange or just a stripe, maybe, if that fits in with your color scheme.
Actually I was thinking of gluing my left over Trajector orange plastic pods on the wings.
Just kidding!
I was being facetious when I mentioned pods.

Assembled the engine mount.
View attachment 417802

Copied the fin alignment guide (overhead type) to heavy cardstock and glued an expended engine casing to it.
View attachment 417803

A piece of scrap BT-50 tube will slip over this and telescope into the ST-10 main body tube for alignment purposes.

The two main wings are built from 3 parts, the main wing, forward strake, and rear strake.
Arranged the six pieces with the root chords abutting a straight edge on wax paper.
View attachment 417804

Glued the pieces together and covered with another sheet of wax paper.
This is weighted with a heavy object and allowed to dry overnight.
View attachment 417805

Calling it a night.
TBC
Great weight! I have a copy.

View attachment 417789
This is a design by C. P. Mcgraw
Barclone page is here:
https://barclone.rocketshoppe.com/proven.htmLots of cool designs with Rocsim files for parts and templates.
This is my first Barclone build.
The Stryker came to my attention when I noticed the laser cut fin set available at erockets.
I was not familiar with a design called the Stryker so I emailed Randy Boadway to inquire.
Comes to find out that it's on the Barclone page at Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe.
Parts:
View attachment 417793
Laser cut fin set, nose cone, ST-10 tube, and EM 7-10 engine mount from erockets (ordered a long time ago, don't know if they're still available).
Other small parts coming from my stash (chute, launch lug, screw eye, shock cord, Kevlar leader, snap swivels, etc.)
Don't remember where I downloaded and printed the instructions from.
Maybe YORF.
TBC
Yes, they're at YORF. I'll let Craig know you're building one of his designs. He'll like that. He hasn't been active in a while and he recently said he forgot most of what he knew about RocSim.

I saw a set of plans laying on a desk at eRockets one night couple of years ago and then found out they had the fins already cut, so I bought the parts and built one. Went with a military paint scheme but never got around to applying more than a couple of decals. The cockpit is hand carved from a piece of balsa block. Fly's very well on B6-4's.

Attachments

• 20200810_151556[1].jpg
    20200810_151556[1].jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 12
Back