Striping tape!! Neat Stuff

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pinstriping tape is good for 2 reasons:

1) For masking off complex curves and/or curved surfaces. Care has to be taken not to get a high build of paint against it though...

2) For hiding boo-boos in paint jobs where you mask multiple colors together. Get a little bleed through or have a slightly crooked line? Pinstriping not only hides those flaws but it often makes a great accent on the rocket!

Way to go flying_silverad!

is the tape itself the black line? or was the tape used to make the stripe?

Originally posted by Ryan S.
is the tape itself the black line? or was the tape used to make the stripe?

The tape is the single black line. It actually comes in a double pin stripe roll. A thick strip next to a thin strip. I simply cut it down the middle and used the thicker of the two. I can always save the other half for another project.

The rocket was painted with Krylon White and then masked with 3M Auto masking tape and regular masking tape. I then went over the adjoining line with the pin stripe. I really like the three colors. Having just red and white looked a little barren...

:cool:

Good job, John!

I've been using automotive pinstriping tape for years. Ever since I worked in the auto biz. I always had some laying around.

The trick is NOT to stretch it too much (or at all if you can avoid it).

Otherwise as soon as you bring your model into the sun the stripe will shrink and come loose.

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Good job, John!

I've been using automotive pinstriping tape for years. Ever since I worked in the auto biz. I always had some laying around.

The trick is NOT to stretch it too much (or at all if you can avoid it).

Otherwise as soon as you bring your model into the sun the stripe will shrink and come loose.

sandman

I still need to do the future floor polish treatment to her (him)...think it will hurt the tape?

Future will go fine on anything...EXCEPT!!!

Never on paper or bare wood.

That is the only thing that Future reacts badly to.

Says so on the label...not for hardwood floors. I think it reacts to wood or wood products (paper).

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Future will go fine on anything...EXCEPT!!!

Never on paper or bare wood.

That is the only thing that Future reacts badly to.

Says so on the label...not for hardwood floors. I think it reacts to wood or wood products (paper).

sandman

...and silver paint...right?

I have a roll of 1/4" pinstriping masking tape. I use it to build up thrust rings on single use motors. It works great because of it's narrow profile.

Pactra also makes very nice pinstriping tapes. They come in a variety of colors, and a "can" of it has about 6 different widths in it (all the same color.) You can find it at your hobby shop near the RC cars - I think it's marketed for use on those lexan bodies for accents. Works good on rockets, though! I have some yellow Pactra stripes sed aside for when I get around to building my Executioner - I intend to use it in principal just like John did on his Hank above.

that would be awesome if it came in different colors, this may have just made a paintjob I am doing much much easier!

The Pactra stripes come in all sorts of colors - including gold and silver.

OK, I found it. The Pacra stuff is called Trim Tape. It comes in the following colors: black, white, royal blue, sky blye, red orange, yellow, silver, and gold. Each pack comes with a 72" long roll with 8 different widths, from about 1/32" wide up to about 3/8" wide.

Here's a pic of some in red:

TT24.jpg

Originally posted by Fore Check
OK, I found it. The Pacra stuff is called Trim Tape. It comes in the following colors: black, white, royal blue, sky blye, red orange, yellow, silver, and gold. Each pack comes with a 72" long roll with 8 different widths, from about 1/32" wide up to about 3/8" wide.

Here's a pic of some in red:

TT24.jpg

Okay..found it. Lots of colors!! LQQK!
Pactra Stuff!!!

Originally posted by lalligood
1) For masking off complex curves and/or curved surfaces. Care has to be taken not to get a high build of paint against it though...

It does an superb job as masking. Seems sort of expensive at first, until you've tried to and place cut masking tape to a consistent width for masking off a spin pattern helix. I believe the stretchiness helps it break the paint bonds and come off cleanly. You can get the same stuff in big sheets and cut out all kinds of things. I've even used it as fold-over-the-leading-edge fin covering.

Latest posts

Back