strengthening with paper and wood glue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanboy

Reaction score
Just curious if anybody else uses thin freebie cardboard rolls (wrapping paper for example) and strengthens them with a wrap or two of copy paper and thinned wood glue. Tubes gain a massive amount of rigidity but still have a bit of give to them, without much of a weight penalty at all. Easy to make, easy to sand, and holds paint fairly well.

Able to make a 134"x2.1" superroc that was light enough to fly on Econojets with this method.

-B

I love doing odd-rocs like that. we use "Bristol Board" to strengthen these kinds of tubes. it takes both yellow glue & CA really nicely and paints nicely too. it's a bit expensive, maybe $0.50 for an 11x14 sheet ($10 a pad) but you could always use 100# card stock to nearly the same effect.

can you post some pix of your superroc?!

I have a whole stack of christmas wrapping tubes.
Just this week I talked to a neighbor that found out about my hobby and she is now saving me empty tubes from her upholstery business.
I can't emtpty a roll of toilet paper without seeing a potential rocket.
HMM I think I might need help:eek:

Originally posted by missileman
I can't emtpty a roll of toilet paper without seeing a potential rocket.
HMM I think I might need help:eek:
What's worse is driving down a country road, looking at a farm silo, and picturing it in your mind with fins. ;)

... driving down a country road, looking at a farm silo, and picturing it in your mind with fins

that's just the first stage of rocket-obsession.

the second stage is when you realize the silo is in the middle of an otherwise totally perfect launch site!

Ive never tried using paper-mache to strenghten rockets before ! Ive seen nosecones made from it though lol !
-Karl

Back