Streamers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecretSquirrel

Reaction score
The last launch I went to was on a very windy day. I replaced the chutes in a couple of my rockets so they wouldn't drift too far. One came down fine, the other came down a little too hard. Is there a good rule of thumb for what size streamer replaces a given chute?

well, that's a tough call.... depends on field conditions too. Different answer if you are flying in a parking lot vrs a grassy field, for example. But here are some pointers that will help you with your next flight in a small field or on a windy day...

For streamers, your length to width ratio should be 10:1 (make your streamer 10" X 1" or 20" X 2", etc)

Anything smaller or larger will reduce its drag effect (per MIT wind tunnel testing)

Avoid the smooth plastic streamers as they *slide* through the air. Crepe streamers, with the rough surface, provide greater drag. If you *do* use a smooth material, fold pleats in it that are about 1/2 the width of the streamer (for a 2" wide streamer, make the pleats no more than 1" apart) for the whole length of the streamer (see figure)

Attach the streamer to one end, in the center of the streamer. Place one length of tape along this one, narrow edge to keep it out flat during recovery.

Now, for parachutes:...

Two things you can do here. One is to REEF the chute like this: hold the shroud lines and the center of the chute and pull into a spike. Using masking tape, tape all the shroud lines together half way between the canopy and the end of the shrould lines. For windier days, you can reef it closer to the canopy. You will still get the chute to fill, but it is a much smaller target and lower drag.

Two, you could cut a SPILL HOLE. Cut out the logo in the center of the chute (some day our chutes will put the logo elsewhere so you don't have to cut IT out... LOL). This will allow air to *spill* out of the canopy. This does two things. One, it reduces the effect of thermals lifting the chute. Two, it prevents wind from colapsing the leading edge of the chute (picture a cross section of a parachute). This collapsing forms the cross section of a chute into an airfoil and will produce lift in the wind stream. The spill hole prevents this.

Also, you can combine the reefing and spill hole together.

Many choices... *S* hope this helped more than bored...

ESTES rockets, IMHO usually have parachutes that are too large. Since I fly in a field that is completely bordered by trees,I use soill holes an have found them to be very effective. I have never had a grass landing that has broken a fin or caused any other damage due to the spill holes.

Back