Streamers for camanchee 3 booster's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicStorm

Reaction score
Ok i know somone on here has thought about putting streamers on the booster stages of their camanchee 3. I was thinking if i could add a little compartment to the booster that holds a mylar streamer and protect it somehow, maybe have the motor push out the streamers at seperation through a small vent hole?? Lmk your ideas, thanks!

Also i have some 24mm motor mounts left over from a couple builds i upgraded to 29mm. Think that would be too much weight? Im sure you would have to have the perfect combo to make it work

So i have a friend that owns a 2000 acre sod farm and we have a little runway cut out for rc airplanes (main hobby). Hoping that should be enough field to secure a recovery. Also going to have a loooong mylar chute in the main bt. For clarity and atleast 5 people there to watch the different stages.

I cut the kit open last night to look through it, thinking about starting on it right now but i havnt decided if im going ttw yet and i havnt designed the streamer compartments for the boosters

Putting streamers in the booster stages of a Comanche 3 will be tough as there is litte room to work with, interested to see what you come up with.

Started sanding the fins today, went ahead and mounted them to the airframes with tight bond quick & thick. Usually use tb 2, but i think i can get better thicker fillets alot quicker, we'll see. Decided im going to upgrads both of the 18's to 24's. I can always use an adapter if i want a easy low flight. Haven't came up with the idea on streamers yet for the boosters because everyone just wants to see me do it but doesnt have any idea how.lol may try to copy another design of a larger rocket that has them idk, but we'll finger it out. Sry my chi chi like to photo bomb lol

Attachments

• IMG_20210508_124828.jpg
    IMG_20210508_124828.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210508_161335.jpg
    IMG_20210508_161335.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 33
If you glue a small section of 13mm tube on the 2nd stage and 3rd stage , when stage one is kicked off by stage 2 , stage one pulls a streamer out of the pod on stage 2. Same for the third stage.
Wow, all i could thank about was how to vent the delay charge into a secondary apparatus that would eject the streamers but heat shield would take up too much room. But this idea, this idea may just work.

Make a couple little pods with little nose cones that glue to the second and third stage next to a fin on each stage. Attach a streamer to the OUTSIDE of the stages and pack it in the pod in the stage ABOVE where it mounts. When the stage separates it will pull it's steamer out of the pod above.

Image for illustration (and as Doc Brown says, "Please excuse the crudity of this model")

Attachments

• StreamerPod.jpg
    StreamerPod.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 14
So i glued all the fins on yesterday with the estes fin alignment guide and let me tell you this. Dont ever ever everrrrr get the estes fin alignment guide!! The fins are more crooked then my d****!!! Waisted 20 bucks on the alignment tool and another 20 on a camanche 3!! It made me sick on my stomach when i put all the fins together and tried to line them up, ive been wanting this rocket over 20 years now, i finally get it and this happens!

Cut fins off, block sand tube, and reglue fins. Be sure to draw lines on tube before glueing. You are correct, the Estes fin alignment tool is crap, but great for indexing.

I have used the Estes fin guide and didn't like it too. I print a fin guide from payload bay and glue it to a foam board. Then cut out the guide and use that to align my fins.
I have a two stage rocket that I did what was suggested by Aslansmonkey. I put two pods on the side of the booster and put the chutes in there. A string goes up to the sustainer and is held by a rubber band. When the stages sperate the string pulls out the chutes.

Attachments

• 20210509_204017[571].jpg
    20210509_204017[571].jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 23
Make a couple little pods with little nose cones that glue to the second and third stage next to a fin on each stage. Attach a streamer to the OUTSIDE of the stages and pack it in the pod in the stage ABOVE where it mounts. When the stage separates it will pull it's steamer out of the pod above.

Image for illustration (and as Doc Brown says, "Please excuse the crudity of this model")
instead of using say a bt-5 body tube to hold the streamer, just use a 3/16" x 1" length launch lug.........a 1/4" mil streamer rolled up will easily fit in that. use a piece of modeling clay to create a little nose cone and glue it on.

Last edited:
I have used the Estes fin guide and didn't like it too. I print a fin guide from payload bay and glue it to a foam board. Then cut out the guide and use that to align my fins.
I have a two stage rocket that I did what was suggested by Aslansmonkey. I put two pods on the side of the booster and put the chutes in there. A string goes up to the sustainer and is held by a rubber band. When the stages sperate the string pulls out the chutes.
This works, but........one difference between

staging deployment of a chute and

apogee (or single stage or sustainer) deployment of a chute.

in the latter case, assuming your delay was close to right and the rocket didn’t weather cock too badly, the rocket has likely slowed down from max velocity when the chute deploys. and if you are smart, you still have a decent length of shock cord and maybe some elastic to reduce the “shock” of deployment even if the rocket IS still hustling along, which for us non-electronic guys sometimes happens if ejection is early, late, or bad weathercocking.

in the former case with the booster, there is a VERY good chance you will be at or near MAXIMUM velocity when the rocket stages. Classically this is exactly when you DON’T Want your chute to deploy. Plus, since you want to use as small a compartment as possible, you tend to skimp on the length of shock cord and maybe skip the elastic. Been ’dere, dun dat, got the T-shirt. You guessed it. Chute was packed with 8 shroud lines attached (just the way I make ‘em), came down hanging off one shroud line.

streamers tend to be much more forgiving compared with chutes, plus low power boosters usually don’t need THAT much recovery help. Often as long as they don’t go ballistic (which IS a problem with long gap stages), they will tumble recover fine.

have a great flight!

Before buying or at least before INSTALLING motors for any multistage rocket, figure out what your goals are.

if your main goal is a successful flight, visible staging, and you want ALL the pieces back, then go for the LOWEST thrust recommended motors for the sustainer and and middle stages. For initial first stage booster, make sure your motor has enough ooomph to get it off the rod well. Check the Estes motor chart to make sure your are at or preferable well below the max lift off weight for that motor (and weigh YOUR rocket with all the motors and recovery gear in place, because everybody builds differently!)

rationale: your first priority is to get the stack safely off the rail under thrust. Don’t skimp here, but if you are well under the 170 grams for the 24mm C, go with it. I don’t think you NEED the streamers, but if you go with them remember you are adding both weight and drag, and stagers are notorious for weathercocking.

once you are off the pad, the sustainer is going to go nearly out of sight (versus DEFINITELY OUT OF SIGHT) no matter WHAT you put in it, so putting bigger motors in the mid stage and sustainer only puts the staging further from you and your admiring crowd and means the mid stage and sustainer are far more likely to fall or drift farther from the pad. so go with the B6-0 (or even an A8-0 if you can find one) in the middle stage and an A8-5 in the sustainer (you can even downsize to an A3-4T with an adapter, and they are CHEAPER!)

on the other hand, if your goal is to push it to the max, by all means go D to C to C! You may never “C” your rocket again, but it will be cool!

most important, be safe and have fun.

https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Educator/Estes_Engine_Chart.pdf

Im just going to build this camanche stock because of how the fin jig messed it up, i really dont feel like spending alot of time on a build thats already messed up. Ill just go buy another one in a week so whenever this on gets launched into the next state. Lol

Good fin guides are nice, but not essential, at least for Sport rocketry. Remember, it’s supposed to be FUN!
people have for years and still do build rockets drawing lines with a pencil and a wrap around marking guide or a metal angle or door or drawer edge.

now, if your gonna out a CAMERA on it, that’s another story, then you need (or at least want) straight fins or the up part of your flight video is a swirly.

Good fin guides are nice, but not essential, at least for Sport rocketry. Remember, it’s supposed to be FUN!
people have for years and still do build rockets drawing lines with a pencil and a wrap around marking guide or a metal angle or door or drawer edge.

now, if your gonna out a CAMERA on it, that’s another story, then you need (or at least want) straight fins or the up part of your flight video is a swirly.

True, I didn't say it was essential, just easier.

So i glued all the fins on yesterday with the estes fin alignment guide and let me tell you this. Dont ever ever everrrrr get the estes fin alignment guide!! The fins are more crooked then my d****!!! Waisted 20 bucks on the alignment tool and another 20 on a camanche 3!! It made me sick on my stomach when i put all the fins together and tried to line them up, ive been wanting this rocket over 20 years now, i finally get it and this happens!
I don’t know about the new Estes fin alignment guide, but the old one has dual sided guides which makes a difference what direction you slide them into the base...one way for using 1/16” balsa fins and the other way for using 1/8” thick balsa. Put them in the wrong way and your fins will be off center. Also, since the guide can also use the motor mount somewhat for alignment, if your mount is a little off it can effect the fin alignment too if the body tube is raised by design. The Estes guide I have is from the 90’s, so maybe they changed it. But you really have to watch what you are doing. Sorry you had bad problems using it.

Yeh one side was 3/32 and the other was an 1/8th, plus one of the corners is rounded to help remember as well. Idk if the plastic was bent or what but its definitely off. Who knows, i may get lucky and get a straight flier but im kinda doubting it.

I did actually get a camera for it that is a little less then 1" cubed but it think im going to put it in the vapor or olympus im working on.

Launch it naked (no paint) and let us know how it flies.

Remember you must draw your fin lines before using Estes fin jig. Jig works great if you do so.

Launch it naked (no paint) and let us know how it flies.

Remember you must draw your fin lines before using Estes fin jig. Jig works great if you do so.
I drew the lines but when i put it on the jig, nothing lined up.

Back