Streamer width (preferably Mylar)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 mil aluminized kapton in a wide variety of widths from a company in Canada. EXTREMELY expensive but very heat resistant and just the ticket for very specific projects. This tape is extremely reflective and so heat resistant that it can be launched without wadding with an Estes motor/ejection charge and won't melt. Almost as expensive as the material is the shipping from Canada. https://www.caplinq.com/1mil-cm-pol...red-aluminized-coating-pit1n-alum-series.html

Flew my Ibex 54 over the weekend using a 2" mylar streamer with the drogue chute. Used grommet and nylon string to attach. Worked great! Much better visibility tracking the rocket before the main deploys.
Ibex 54.jpg

The bird tape rips easily, so it’s really only good for one time use unless you reinforce the edge with some clear tape. Space blankets can be hit and miss (some brands tear easily, others don’t). If I remember correctly, recommended streamer size is 1:10 width to length in case that also helps.

Last edited:
The bird tape rips easily, so it’s really only good for one time use unless you reinforce the edge with some clear tape. Space blankets can be hit and miss (some brands tear easily, others don’t). If I remember correctly, recommended streamer size is 1:10 width to length in case that also helps.
For MPR I would think you would want something fairly durable. But if your goal is to just come down a little bit faster then you could just size your parachute accordingly.

For MPR I would think you would want something fairly durable. But if your goal is to just come down a little bit faster then you could just size your parachute accordingly.
Correct, I would suggest ripstop nylon steamer for mid power, not bird tape.

Correct, I would suggest ripstop nylon steamer for mid power, not bird tape.
My only streamer experience was very many years ago using crepe paper streamers. I wondered if you could some somewhat stiff mylar and put creases/folds in it so that it would have a shape that would generate more wind resistance.

Don't forget that metalised mylar film will become fully conductive if it hits a power line. Power lines and mylar do not mix.

We got a free dinner at Cracker Barrel while on vacation in Cleveland, TN a few weeks ago when....you guessed it a mylar balloon took out something on the power pole feeding the restaurant. My guess is it popped the fused disconnect requiring the fuse portion to be replaced.

Back