Streamer width (preferably Mylar)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreggS

Reaction score
I'm looking for a source of streamers that are wider than 2" for a MPR. I found "Bird Scare" tape, but only up to 2" wide... that'll work for low power, but my mid powered ships weigh a lot more. I'm experimenting on a dry lake in CA.(Lucerne) , and the winds can be a bit high at times. Thanks!

Header says 3" but the description says 2"... I'll see if I can get hold of someone and see what they have... Thanks!

Mylar is a trademarked name... look for polyethylene terephthalate film (also known as PET film). Other trade marked names for the same material are Melinex and Hostaphan.
Industrial sources will not use the trademarked name(s) unless selling the actual brand.
Ebay, Amazon, etc....all bets are off what it actually is.

As a Reference this is 27 inch wide x 12 feet long aluminized PET Film (Silver) from McMasterCarr.
7538T11 is .002" thick $ 9.94
7538T12 is .005" thick $ 18.05
You could slit it to smaller width and test.
YMMV

I have some. It's 2" wide. I use it in my 18 mm sub-minimum diameter rockets. 2" x 18" very visible at 3-4K feet. (18 mm full F.) The longest is 10" of propellant and is a 80 N-s F23-10. The next is 9" and is a 72 N-s F20.
18mm grains 2.jpg

asp-rocketry has a lot of different sizes of the silver dura-lar streamer material and kits.

Reflective Mylar has got to be available on a roll, greater than 2" wide but less than a foot!

Somewhere?

These things. Survival blankets. they cost about $2 at Dicks or Walmart. Just cut off what you want. They are extremely thin. 83x52"
View attachment 469754
Thats what i have, i just layed it out on the floor, marked it, then cut it with a straight edge razor," a new one". Mine is for a mpr drouge and is about 3 1/2" w x 20' L and taped to a wooden dowel with a string looped and taped on the same dowel with a swivel for connecting to the rocket. One side is gold, one side of silver and boy can you see that thing from a mile away!

I think Apogee Components sells 10" wide streamer material, and Tim's got a video out that tells you how to use it....= )

The survival blanket is surprisingly resilient. I also use the thicker 2” roll but tends to rip at the ends. I just cut off a couple inches with scissors. I couldn’t say which works better at reducing the descend speed.

Someone must make 3" or 4" wide bird scare tape...
Doubtful. Birds have good eyesight (they fly, after all), so wider isn't needed to serve the purpose. People don't want large pieces of tape flapping in the wind when a smaller one will do. Small tape can look decorative, large tape would be an eyesore. There is no market for it.

If you have the room in the rocket, just use two 2" streamers, one attached below the other. Fold, don't roll, the streamers.

Thats what i have, i just layed it out on the floor, marked it, then cut it with a straight edge razor," a new one". Mine is for a mpr drouge and is about 3 1/2" w x 20' L and taped to a wooden dowel with a string looped and taped on the same dowel with a swivel for connecting to the rocket. One side is gold, one side of silver and boy can you see that thing from a mile away!
Got a picture of it?

Thicker is better for MPR (and even LPR comp). I use 2 mil now; it's commonly made for grow rooms. Width is not a problem, 4ftx50ft for $20 here:
https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Horticulture-Highly-Reflective-Mylar/dp/B018VI76JA/. For $4 more you can get 100 ft.

Add a bunch of creased accordion folds 1/2 to 1" wide to greatly increase drag. Attach *nylon* line using 1 - 2" wide mylar or kapton tape with the line in a serpentine pattern under the tape. Dowel works too but really isn't necessary. Avoid thin kevlar line as it will zipper right through the tape and streamer much more easily.

The stuff marketed as "party streamers" is usually thinner, and sometimes the thickness isn't specified...I wouldn't bother except for casual LPR.

I'm looking for a source of streamers that are wider than 2" for a MPR. I found "Bird Scare" tape, but only up to 2" wide... that'll work for low power, but my mid powered ships weigh a lot more. I'm experimenting on a dry lake in CA.(Lucerne) , and the winds can be a bit high at times. Thanks!
Try some "House Wrap" like Tyvek
You can probably pickup some scrap from a builder at a new home site.

Worked some more with the silver Mylar from Amazon. If there is *any* damage to the edge it will tear. Plenty thin. Used for visibility rather than competition so amount is not optimized. Thicker and creased would be better for competition. This does crease well. Put it in some F23 powered 18 mm rockets. Mylar streamer, ready to put in rockets, and 4 rockets with 9" F20-10s
18mm rockets 5.jpg 18mm rockets 6.jpg 18mm rockets 4.jpg

Last edited:
I use the cheap stuff and overlap the edges with lightweight skinny clear tape so it doesnt rip. Ill post a pic tomorrow.

Hey @GreggS .. go buy a space blanket for $2 and try it out. cheapest option. if it doesn't work for you, you're not out a lot of time and money. And you can make parachutes out of it. Or use it on your grapes to scare birds or whatever.

Back