Streamer width (preferably Mylar)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

rklapp

NAR# 109557
Reaction score
Saw this in the Uline catalog. They keep mailing me their thick catalog so perusing it for interesting materials. It probably wouldn't crinkle from the heat but you have to buy about a mile of it.

1625339948489.png

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
Saw this in the Uline catalog. They keep mailing me their thick catalog so perusing it for interesting materials. It probably wouldn't crinkle from the heat but you have to buy about a mile of it.
You don't want these. They are for laying on a surface and using hot lettering, transfer print to the object. The print is wax and will melt and stick to everything in a rocket.

Gus

Reaction score
1 mil aluminized kapton in a wide variety of widths from a company in Canada. EXTREMELY expensive but very heat resistant and just the ticket for very specific projects. This tape is extremely reflective and so heat resistant that it can be launched without wadding with an Estes motor/ejection charge and won't melt. Almost as expensive as the material is the shipping from Canada. https://www.caplinq.com/1mil-cm-pol...red-aluminized-coating-pit1n-alum-series.html

SkyFire

Reaction score
Flew my Ibex 54 over the weekend using a 2" mylar streamer with the drogue chute. Used grommet and nylon string to attach. Worked great! Much better visibility tracking the rocket before the main deploys.
Ibex 54.jpg

RocketTree

Reaction score
The bird tape rips easily, so it’s really only good for one time use unless you reinforce the edge with some clear tape. Space blankets can be hit and miss (some brands tear easily, others don’t). If I remember correctly, recommended streamer size is 1:10 width to length in case that also helps.

Last edited: