Streamer Recovery for 38mm Minimum Diameter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After lots of test fittings, and experimentation I've decided that I'm simply not comfortable with using the JLCR in my 38mm minimum diameter project. Going to go with apogee deployment and a streamer instead to try to bring the rocket down close.

The foundation for the build will be a Wildman Rocketry Blackhawk 38 kit, built for dual deploy. But I'll be making some mods as well. Additive Aerospace 3-D printed fin can, fly-away rail guides, and Aeropack motor retention.

I'll be flying two trackers. A BRB RF tracker, and a Tracksoar GPS unit.

While I've flown a lot of streamer rockets, they've all been lightweight low-power kits. No experience with using streamers on HPR at all.

Any recommendations or references on a streamer for this rocket? Width? Length? Material? How about wadding, dog barf, etc?

Advice welcome and appreciated.

Why not use a small parachute? Less packed volume, easier to get desired decent rate.

If the decent rate is the same the drift is the same. The reason people think a streamer drifts less is because the decent rate is usually higher. If a steamer drifts less than a parachute at same speed that would mean the streamer is aware of wind direction.

M

While I've flown a lot of streamer rockets, they've all been lightweight low-power kits. No experience with using streamers on HPR at all.

Any recommendations or references on a streamer for this rocket? Width? Length? Material? How about wadding, dog barf, etc?

I've been toying with large HPR steamers (2-8" in width) lately.
You can use OR to model the desired rocket descent rate for a given streamer width and length.
One source of large streamers is here:
https://topflightrecoveryllc.homestead.com/page2.html

The challenge you will likely have is packaging folded streamer inside an MD airframe.
Streamers are usually rolled or Z-folded onto themselves, and the resulting bundle might have a larger diameter than a small chute.

Other than that, long streamers are awesome for spotting a rocket in the sky, and longer ones can generate "steamer whip" sound that can be heard for miles.

A Top Flight thin mill chute takes up less space than a streamer.

Perhaps, but a long streamer is MUCH easier to spot in the sky than a small chute!

YMMV,
a

Hi there

We can make any size streamer that you'd like that's not listed on our website...either made from 1.7 ounce or 1.1 ounce rip stop nylon fabric.

Preston

Back