Streamer recovery - Estes Mongoose

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueTrane2028

Reaction score
So, I flew my yellow body tube version (ca. 1998) Estes Mongoose all of once (and only single stage) in its life before yesterday. It came back with what looked like an Estes dent way back then, I put it on the pile and forgot about rocketry soon after for a number of years.

Well, we launched it again yesterday single stage again, this time I had a lengthened shock cord to prevent the dent. I also added a second streamer, one toward the nose cone, the second closer to the body. Tube bent at both ends this time! I'm thinking that streamer recovery is just not a good idea, although it's probably the only way to see a rocket like this again in the fields I fly. I decided "well, you bought this to try two stage, let it do its thing and if it's gone it's already damaged at both ends."

So, C6-0 and C6-5 (didn't have any C6-7 and just rolled with it). Great takeoff, slight weathercocking. 2nd stage, it takes a hard turn into the upper level winds (was calm at field level) and starts travelling more away from me than vertical... right toward a huge forest. I said "well, that's it then" and watch it come down figuring to never see it again. Son of a gun, the winds carried it back just past the trees and onto the grassy field. Success!... except now the body tube was severely bent by the engine mount and crimped at the nose. I straightened it out as best I could and wrapped the areas with a Titebond soaked strip of paper. Not elegant but it's strong enough to fly. Also located the booster, so it can go 2 stage for glory again.

I guess, aside from being thrilled by the flight itself, what should/can I try to get it to land softer, short of tossing on a 'Chute? I know some people do "streamer duration" competitions... I want to redo the shock cord with just a huge length of Kevlar (order is supposed to arrive 6/3),open to anything. Maybe the smallest size parachute Estes makes would be more appropriate? Thoughts?

Also, I read somewhere that the older Mongoose (like mine) have weaker tubes... has that been addressed for sure in newer ones? If yes, I'll build up a new one I guess, and ride this one until it's dead.

Ha! I've flown my old Mongoose many times and come back crimped...I just pull out the crimps and wrap with fiber tape for strength! Good to go again!

Ha! I've flown my old Mongoose many times and come back crimped...I just pull out the crimps and wrap with fiber tape for strength! Good to go again!

I wrapped the tube in Titebond soaked cardstock and repainted. Repair is crude but strong.

I'm now using a 10" parachute with mine, much better.

Back