Streamer Egg Loft Duration

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexBruccoleri

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone think it is feasible to have streamer recovery as an event for egg loft duration? The streamer would need to be quite large but this could be an option for smaller fields.

Does anyone think it is feasible to have streamer recovery as an event for egg loft duration? The streamer would need to be quite large but this could be an option for smaller fields.
Just use smaller motors, or launch two eggs at a time. Eventually BTCs would figure out how to thermal an egg on a streamer.

Last edited:
My concern with smaller motors is the limited choices. As the motors get bigger there are more choices. Another thought would be to time only the egg and allow staging.

A streamer simply doesn't slow the egg down enough. To Alan's point, I've thermalled away a B-impulse egglofter on a 50" parachute before. The trick is getting it into the air with such a large parachute. Also, the motor selection in the lower classes isn't awful, especially with the new Q-Jet motors. We've flown eggloft on B6-2/4/6 motors and C6-3/5/7 motors for decades. A C12 or C18 may be more appropriate now that they're available. Just pick the delay commensurate with your skill level.

Hi Brian, That is a good point regarding Q-Jet motors. I just looked at their website and between Estes and Aerotech, there are a few choices, which is great. Regarding streamers, I think it would be possible to bring an egg back safely but challenging. I also drifted away a lot of parachute duration rockets back when I competed. Maybe the better approach is altitude in the smaller fields in the north east.

Hi Brian, That is a good point regarding Q-Jet motors. I just looked at their website and between Estes and Aerotech, there are a few choices, which is great. Regarding streamers, I think it would be possible to bring an egg back safely but challenging. I also drifted away a lot of parachute duration rockets back when I competed. Maybe the better approach is altitude in the smaller fields in the north east.

I find both Eggloft Altitude and Duration a lot of fun, myself. Both have their unique challenges. To your point of Altitude being better, I will just say this: I learned competition rocketry on the small fields of the Northeast. Remember that if you're holding just a local event (excluding NRC specifically here), everyone has to fly on the same field. Part of the challenge of Egglofting is that you are required to get the model back. As long as you go into the day with this in the back of your head, you can pick the motor/recovery device combination that gives you the best chance of both getting a good time and getting the model back. It's not all just about the best time.

Streamers have been used in the past (1970's) to recover high altitude egglofters. They were first mentioned in the 1971 article in Model Rocketry Magazine during the Montreal Canada Annual convention, to some success. We duplicated this during an Alberta contest in 1978 flying a D12-0 to an FSI E5-6. The trick was using a CMR Egg capsule, good rubber padding, doubled over crepe paper, 3-4 inch wide and the lowest mass air-frame you could build that would handle the motors. Also fly in a field with nice soft cut grass. ;)

My aforementioned D to E flight managed to hit the only rock in the field, and cracked the egg for a DQ, it did not obliterate itself. So careful experimentation may be in order.

Garth Illerbrun
NAR 26894L2
CAR S04 L3

Streamers have been used in the past (1970's) to recover high altitude egglofters. They were first mentioned in the 1971 article in Model Rocketry Magazine during the Montreal Canada Annual convention, to some success. We duplicated this during an Alberta contest in 1978 flying a D12-0 to an FSI E5-6. The trick was using a CMR Egg capsule, good rubber padding, doubled over crepe paper, 3-4 inch wide and the lowest mass air-frame you could build that would handle the motors. Also fly in a field with nice soft cut grass. ;)

My aforementioned D to E flight managed to hit the only rock in the field, and cracked the egg for a DQ, it did not obliterate itself. So careful experimentation may be in order.

Garth Illerbrun
NAR 26894L2
CAR S04 L3
Hi Garth, Thanks for sharing this! This is exactly what I was thinking. Cheers, Alex

Back