Streamer design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktango22

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen attempts to develop streamers with, for example, a series of “cups” along the sides that would slow the descent? Or other features like that. Point being to avoid the need for shroud lines/parachute some smaller rockets.

I've not heard of anything like that, but it's worth trying. Maybe cutting some small slits into the streamer that are perpendicular to the length of the streamer might help, too (so it looks kinda like a cheese grater).

I hate the hassle of parachutes, but streamer don't provide the slow-down effect I need/want. So if someone can create a better streamer, I'm all ears.

I just ordered a 30 inch wind sock for $9.00 on Amazon. I will see how and if it can be folded/fit in body tube sizes. Looking for alternatives at least for low and some mid power machines.

I had one I got somewhere that had "cups" at the end.
Made it flutter a bit less which limited the flapping noise most make and I prefer as the noise sometimes help you locate the rocket in the sky

Has anyone ever seen attempts to develop streamers with, for example, a series of “cups” along the sides that would slow the descent? Or other features like that. Point being to avoid the need for shroud lines/parachute some smaller rockets.
Did you mean "cuts"?
When I first read it, I thought you meant actual cups strung together (a foam version seems fun to me).
However if you mean something like pockets that makes it almost like a hybrid, then that sounds cool and doable, but questionable as to whether it takes up less space than a chute (and would cost a lot more or require a lot more time and work to make).

Did you mean "cuts"?
When I first read it, I thought you meant actual cups strung together (a foam version seems fun to me).
However if you mean something like pockets that makes it almost like a hybrid, then that sounds cool and doable, but questionable as to whether it takes up less space than a chute (and would cost a lot more or require a lot more time and work to make).

Cups are doable. For fun cut out some “cups” and then just used glue to place them on the streamer. All nylon. It was a messy mock up but got me thinking. I will continue to fool around with this as I find parachutes a bit of a pain to work with.

Cups are doable. For fun cut out some “cups” and then just used glue to place them on the streamer. All nylon. It was a messy mock up but got me thinking. I will continue to fool around with this as I find parachutes a bit of a pain to work with.
Please report back your results.

I fly mostly BT-20 rockets and like you, I find parachutes to be a hassle. I'm tempted to go streamer, but I build my rockets heavy and fly with altimeters (Estes might say their BT-20 rocket should weight 15 grams and mine ends up weighing closer to 25).

I'm just curious as to what you'd use as cups. If I could find soft cloth or plastic "cups" that were the size of thimbles, that would be great. But I don't know where I'd find such items or how to attach them to the streamer while still keeping weight and size of the streamer low.

You can combine a long streamer and a parachute flap at the top….it works well with medium to smaller rockets. the streamer is tapered wider to meet the diameter of the parachute At the top.

You can combine a long streamer and a parachute flap at the top….it works well with medium to smaller rockets. the streamer is tapered wider to meet the diameter of the parachute At the top.
Do you have a pic of how this might look?

Back