Strange Parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunstar

Reaction score
I have a Broadsword kit that I've had sitting around for years waiting to be built, and I'm finally doing it, but it seems the engine hook and E to D spacer were missing (opened it long ago, my bad). I went digging into my loose parts, and I found what I needed, but I also found an engine hook and spacer that are only 3/4 of an inch longer than what a D would need rather than an inch longer like what you would need for a E/D engine mount. What engine would that be for? Were E engines only 3/4 of an inch longer than a D long ago or something?

Yes, the old Estes E15 motors were shorter (89mm) than current E motors (95mm).

I would leave out the thrust ring and use an Estes retainer.

I botched this up on my Broadsword, I didn't realize the MMT was designed for slightly shorter E engines. I eventually just straightened out the engine hook and use masking tape to secure the engine to the hook.

Yes, the old Estes E15 motors were shorter (89mm) than current E motors (95mm).
OK, that explains it. The directions with the kit look like they are for the shorter engine (1/2 inch of the motor extending past the tube, engine hook covers 3 inches of tube) My strange parts may be the originals from the kit.

Thanks

I had a couple of these 'weird size' hooks in my parts box.

DSCF8410 (FILEminimizer).JPG

Don't throw it away!

Just bend the tang that hold the rear of the motor until it is straight, measure to 95 mm and re-bend at right angles. Cut off the excess.

DSCF8533 (FILEminimizer).JPG

That's how I made the hook for my 'E' Spacemonkey V2.

Back