Straight Tube Cuts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those using table saw or cutoff saw to cut larger/thicker tubes, what blades are you using and do they really produce a clean cut?

I just cut a butt ton of 3 and 4 inch fiberglass tubes with a 12" compound miter saw using an 80 tooth fine cut blade. Cuts like a hot knife through butter, as clean as anything wildman/MC/CW ever sent me.

Pro tip, tripple check square and plumb with wood before cutting your tubes!

I just cut a butt ton of 3 and 4 inch fiberglass tubes with a 12" compound miter saw using an 80 tooth fine cut blade. Cuts like a hot knife through butter, as clean as anything wildman/MC/CW ever sent me.

What about paper tubes? Do you get clean cuts on them using the same blade?

I cannot help myself, I know it is a fault that I have. But I gotta ask, how much does a butt ton weigh?? :)

do you use that aggressive of grit paper that lakeroadster does?
I have a similar sander with disk and 4" belt, I've found that the disk spins fast enough that even with 80 grit paper it will remove material from a piece of wood very quickly.

I recently used mine to sand some papered balsa fins. In one of the posts above there is a photo showing plywood fins clamped together and being sanded. This appears to rely on your eyes to maintain square against the sanding surface. My sander has a table beside the disk that can be adjusted to be square to the disk. I cut numerous sets of balsa fins for a lot of builds happening at the same time, since I was cutting them I just cut a bit oversize. Then I stack the pieces and pin them together with a couple of sewing pins. I can set the stack on the table and use the disk to sand all of the surfaces square and to match.

For those using table saw or cutoff saw to cut larger/thicker tubes, what blades are you using and do they really produce a clean cut?

Hello, I use Diablo Laminate/Non-Ferrous blades. 10" / 84 teeth in both my miter and table saw to cut glass and paper tubes. It does an exceptionally good job with a proper fence & stop and technique, expect tolerances into the 100th realm on glass tubes. Here is a video on cutting glass and some pictures cutting 10" paper concrete forms.

Attachments

• IMG_9223.jpg
    IMG_9223.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9224.jpg
    IMG_9224.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9226.jpg
    IMG_9226.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9227.jpg
    IMG_9227.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9229.jpg
    IMG_9229.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9230.jpg
    IMG_9230.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
I figured the rollers would make an indention in cardboard?
From my experience, the commercial paper tubes are already compressed enough that it doesn't happen. The motor packaging tubes I cut do get indents, but I don't care about those. At the same time, motor packaging tubes are VERY low quality.
All that said, if you see it indent, cut slower and it won't do it.

Back