StormCaster CP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmhiii

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know the CP for the Estes StormCaster? I looked on EMRR but they didn't have this rocket listed.

What I have done is convert the StormCaster to a StormCluster by putting a 3x18mm motor mount in it. This added exactly 1 oz. of weight. If I don't know the CP, could I just add an oz. of weight to the nose? It kinda makes sense to me but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

bmhiii

Oh, I've attached a pic of the business end...

Can't answer your question on CP but, I think you'll also have to figure in the added weight of 2 more motors to that extra 1 oz. of MMT.

bmhiii,

I did the same thing to the stormcaster..and I have a rocksim v.6 file attached

the cp is 22 5/8" from the nose cone tip...(or where the fin leading edge meets the body tube)

according to Rocksim it should get over 1,200 ' on c6-7's

I did add some noseweight to mine..I don't rtemember how much .but I added untill the CG was a little over 1 caliber ahead of the CP..

I havent had the chance to fly mine yet ,,have fun with it !

Heres a pic of mine...mabey I can fly it today ..I'll let you know the results if I get the chance

I built a 3X18 stormcluster also. I did not know the CP either. I happened to have a stock stormcaster. (They are a cheap buy at Micheals for 40% with coupon). I put in a motor in the stock version and found the cg. Then I added nose weight for the cluster version to bring the cg to the same location as the stock version. So the logic was the cp/cg relationship would be the same. And if the stock was stable the cluster should be stable. I have lauched it twice and am very pleased. Be prepared for a long walk as it really puts it up there.

bmhiii

I can't tell from the picture of your stormcaster, but I stuffed toliet paper soaked with white glue into the spaces around the 18mm motor tubes. This was to prevent any leaks through the rear from the ejection charge.

Thanks,

Greg

Well, you know, I forgot about motor weight. You see, that's one of the beauties of this forum, somebody will always point out the obvious when you can't see it. Thanks!!

Oh, and I did plug up all the holes with tissue/glue balls.

I believe I will use the CP that stymye supplied. That ought to do it.

Oh yeah, I'm anxious to fly this baby. I did my first cluster in a Big Betty (2x18mm) and just love it!! And of course I have a Deuce in the paint shop and really look forward to flying it also. So little time...

Thanks everybody!!!

bmhiii

When I built my stormcluster I rocksimed it and it said that it was stable so I didn't add any weight. I have flown it 5 times so far and it has been stable.

Originally posted by stymye
bmhiii,

I did the same thing to the stormcaster..and I have a rocksim v.6 file attached

the cp is 22 5/8" from the nose cone tip...(or where the fin leading edge meets the body tube)

So can I take these and put them on EMRR????? (not to mention why they weren't there to begin with :) )

Nick

..oops ....thanks for the reminder Nick..(ouch).I'll send the maxi V2 rsim file also .I need to touch them up first .. also the stormcaster fins don't seem just right in the rsim I posted ..close .but not right...

Back