Storm Caster Report Brief

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LtSharpe

Reaction score
Launched it today on two c11-3's Both took it straight up as an arrow with no spin. However it was still going straight up during the smoke 'coasting' phase and never reached an apogee point. It blew the chute out the top on both occaisions while it was still coasting upwards. I suspect a D12-5 would be more adequate. Height appeared to be good, although not quite what I was expecting I think. I will try a d12-5 in it soon. I had taped my chute for storage in the rocket and forgot to remove my tape so it came down a bit fast the first time, landed on a fence rail but didn't suffer any damage. Next launch used the chute... Could have caught it it landed so close. I want to setup my digital camera(has movie mode) on a tripod to try and film my better launches. As some of you know I use a wireless launch system so I can do this pretty easily. I can press the button on the camera to start it recording and then fire the rocket or I could look through the lens, press the button on the camera and fire it with my toe on the throttle control of the remote. I figure if I film around 350 feet back or maybe 450 I should be able to get a nice launch clip. Many possiblities for glee...I want to build a small fm tracking transmitter with a 'beep beep' as well to put in these. I've built wireless mikes from scratch before so this should be no trouble. Found some lovely schematics on the net. I intend on using 3volt lithium button cells for power. All very lightweight.

I have two stormcasters that i launch often...

I find they fly just fine on C11-7 engines.. opening just after apogee

I've even placed 2nd with one of them at our clubs 20" chute duration launches on a D12-5.

be VERY careful about the upper level winds when launching on a d12-5 unless you dont mind watching it float to rocket never-never land..

hope you like walking to get it... lol

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by LtSharpe
Launched it today on two c11-3's Both took it straight up as an arrow with no spin. However it was still going straight up during the smoke 'coasting' phase and never reached an apogee point. It blew the chute out the top on both occaisions while it was still coasting upwards. I suspect a D12-5 would be more adequate. Height appeared to be good, although not quite what I was expecting I think. I will try a d12-5 in it soon. I had taped my chute for storage in the rocket and forgot to remove my tape so it came down a bit fast the first time, landed on a fence rail but didn't suffer any damage. Next launch used the chute... Could have caught it it landed so close. I want to setup my digital camera(has movie mode) on a tripod to try and film my better launches. As some of you know I use a wireless launch system so I can do this pretty easily. I can press the button on the camera to start it recording and then fire the rocket or I could look through the lens, press the button on the camera and fire it with my toe on the throttle control of the remote. I figure if I film around 350 feet back or maybe 450 I should be able to get a nice launch clip. Many possiblities for glee...I want to build a small fm tracking transmitter with a 'beep beep' as well to put in these. I've built wireless mikes from scratch before so this should be no trouble. Found some lovely schematics on the net. I intend on using 3volt lithium button cells for power. All very lightweight.

I think I might use a streamer or a very small chute with it's hole cut out for a D I didn't think of using c11-7's I don't think my michaels store has them, hobby shop does but they're too much there.

Originally posted by LtSharpe
I think I might use a streamer or a very small chute with it's hole cut out for a D I didn't think of using c11-7's I don't think my michaels store has them, hobby shop does but they're too much there.

I scored a bunch of C11-7's from the clearance isle at the local Hobby Lobby... 4.99 per pack of 3 ;>

there were 8 packs.. and i've been snatching them 2 at a time when we go... 2 left in the store... i told my wife i was gonna buy them all... she's just making me suffer several trips to get them..haha

Back