Storing casings (again)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iter

HPR Glider Driver
Reaction score
I'm trying to organize my garage. Motor casings are some of the most puzzling items to store. I now own too many (21 and counting) to simply dump them into the range box, and some are quite large (75mmx5G). Some are really odd shapes (AT 38/1320) that defy container form factors. I am reluctant to build a completely custom case. I hate to go to the trouble of building one, only to run out of space if I buy more casings. Ideally, I want a storage solution that lets me keep them on a shelf and also transport them to a launch in the same container.

I would love to see pictures of what people are using to store their casings.

Ari.

I saw a wooden rack with the appropriate size holes drilled in it somewhere. I keep mine in a Craftsman rolling tool box that I took the casters off of and bolted in place in my trailer. Everything up to 75/3500 case goes in there and the longer ones go in a long plastic tub that I got around Christmas time for storing wrapping paper.

I started with gun cases, and similar things, until I realized just how much space that wastes, especially as they get larger. Not only that, but I never need my entire collection (complete CTI 24 through 54, plus 2 each in 75 and 98; full set of AMW 38 & 54, plus a 75) at a launch, so one container to haul them is a waste of time, space and energy.

Mine lay on shelves, in a pile, where I can find what I need. I then take what I need for a given launch (except the really big ones) and drop them into a 5 gallon bucket, on end, to bring to the launch.

-Kevin

I haven't found a solution for mine yet, either. I keep the smaller ones in a clear plastic tackle organizer, but like Ari, I'm getting more and bigger cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to Gander Mountain and get you a rifle/shotgun case. Get the good ones not the cheap plastic ones. I have 2 full of hardware, I am nesting all my cases, 24 into 29 into 38 and so on. I have 24mm thru 54/2550 in them.

Yeah, I helped take jimzcatz's hardware out of the car at freedom launch, and I was freaking amazed at how much hardware he could stuff into that tiny box. He started looking for a 29/180 casing, and he took a 75mm casing, and dumped out a 54, and out of that dumped a 38, and out of that dumped 2 24mm casings, and i was just like :jawdrop:

:)

Yeah, I helped take jimzcatz's hardware out of the car at freedom launch, and I was freaking amazed at how much hardware he could stuff into that tiny box. He started looking for a 29/180 casing, and he took a 75mm casing, and dumped out a 54, and out of that dumped a 38, and out of that dumped 2 24mm casings, and i was just like :jawdrop:

To be fair, they are not "tiny" boxes, and the biggest I have in them is 54mm. But I do have a lot of hardware!!

OK, that is what it looked like, at least...

It looked like a set of russian dolls...

How about a coat rack design hanging on the wall horizontal, w/wooden dowels pointing outwards at a slightly upward angle so the motor casings don't fall off.

Actually, I really like that under the seat truck box for myself. Until I found out it's only 22" long.

Last edited:
I use the leftover sox that the dryer doesn't eat to slip the cases into then a soft toolbag from Harbor freight. My 4 grain CTI case has a clear plastic tube. The toolbag goes with me when I go out and I haven't had the chance to use the CTI case...yet :)

Try this protective Polyethylene-sleeves from McMaster-Carr. It works really well when you nest casings.
It comes in various sizes and colors plus it will wrap around the end of the casing for protection. I dropped a 54 mm casing with this wrapped around it in a concrete parking lot with no visible damage and the closures still fit perfectly.

Try this protective Polyethylene-sleeves from McMaster-Carr. It works really well when you nest casings.
It comes in various sizes and colors plus it will wrap around the end of the casing for protection. I dropped a 54 mm casing with this wrapped around it in a concrete parking lot with no visible damage and the closures still fit perfectly.

I've been looking for something like that. I just ordered some.

Back