STOP THE MADNESS! (A brief primer/filler commentary)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's available, us slightly off white primer when the rocket is going to be white; it lets you see if you've missed a spot with the color coat.

And filling parts before assembly? Hell Yes!

My local HomeDepot only carries in the grey filler-primer in the store, but I ordered white primer for delivery to the store and pick-up through the website. There are a bunch of colors and variations available. I don't think that this white fills as well as the Rustoleum grey 2:1 in filler-primer, however. But it is sandable, and it does fill to some extent.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...Sandable-Primer-Spray-6-Pack-260737/204707458

don't think that this white fills as well as the Rustoleum grey 2:1 in filler-primer, however. But it is sandable, and it does fill to some extent.

Exactly. I can find several shades of gray to black filler primer at Walmart (auto-section) and other stores, but I haven't seen a white filler primer.

But for that I just do lighter grey filler on the first coat, spot putty, then followup coats in white primer.

I have on multiple occasions painted white top coats over grey filler/primer and it works OK. Nowadays I do try to do a coat of regular primer over the filler/primer though.

My local HomeDepot only carries in the grey filler-primer in the store, but I ordered white primer for delivery to the store and pick-up through the website. There are a bunch of colors and variations available. I don't think that this white fills as well as the Rustoleum grey 2:1 in filler-primer, however. But it is sandable, and it does fill to some extent.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...Sandable-Primer-Spray-6-Pack-260737/204707458

Dang! I have been getting this primer at AutoZone for $8 a can. Thanks for the link, I'm all over that deal!

I have on multiple occasions painted white top coats over grey filler/primer and it works OK. Nowadays I do try to do a coat of regular primer over the filler/primer though.

This is also my preferred method, fill it and then spray white primer over it.

I use Kilz primer from Home Depot. It's supposed to be an interior primer, but it's white, covers well, and hasn't had any reaction to the Rustoleum I use over it. It's about $6 a can. I've been using it for years.

Phil L.

The white Kilz is a nice high-build primer. It's also comparable to Rustoleum 2:1 sandable filler/primer in the way it fills and sands. I'll often use a coat of Rusto 2:1, sand, fill low spots with Bondo glazing and spot filler. Then I'll shoot another light coat of the 2:1(maybe). If its to be a light colored top coat, the rocket gets a good hosing of the white Kilz primer and sanded smooth.

I use Kilz primer from Home Depot. It's supposed to be an interior primer, but it's white, covers well, and hasn't had any reaction to the Rustoleum I use over it. It's about $6 a can. I've been using it for years.

Phil L.

Is it wet-sandable? How is the odor? I wonder if I could use this stuff indoors during the winter.

Is it wet-sandable? How is the odor? I wonder if I could use this stuff indoors during the winter.

I've never wet sanded it but I don't see why you couldn't. The odor isn't as strong as most rattle can primers, as it's made for indoor use. I don't know if I'd paint indoors with it as it seems to be quite messy and the over spray gets everywhere, but that could be just me.

I've never wet sanded it but I don't see why you couldn't. The odor isn't as strong as most rattle can primers, as it's made for indoor use. I don't know if I'd paint indoors with it as it seems to be quite messy and the over spray gets everywhere, but that could be just me.

Hmmm... I wonder if the Kilz primer in a quart tub would work, brushed on, and then sanded.

Last edited:
My easy primer and painting tutorial is to avoid it. Don't do it and let em earn their pain. If they crash, I just saves from cash and time.

... let em earn their pain. If they crash, I just saves from cash and time.

But I've never had a crash!
(and now I'm jinxed and there goes my lucky streak)

I understand that logic but flipping it around: I'd rather make flights worth their while and use a motor in a worthy rocket!

In my case, I don't get to fly very often, so at this point, I'd rather see my colours crash than flying cardboard.

Back