Stickershock23--High Prices--Joke Warranty

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madsen

Reaction score
Looking at the Stickershock23 website--I tried to order some decals--until I read the fine print. Buyer beware! First of all--Price--are these decals printed on gold paper? For example: I wanted a sheet of Der Red Max decals for a 5.5" rocket. In the past, I would have gone to Hobby Town--and bought some neat looking decals for $6.00-$8.00 a sheet. Stickershock23 wants $54.00 for a sheet (5 usable decals) to fit a 5.5" rocket. What a deal! The decals are the most expensive component of the rocket! And now--the good part--WARRANTY!! Stickershock23 prides himself on his warrranty--who can blame him--it is no value to the customer. First, there is the "Crash Protection Warranty"--sounds good--sort of--until you get into the details of the warranty. First, you must have the original receipt--who keeps a receipt for a decal? Does Stickershock23 not recognize his own work? Second, you pay "only1/2 the original cost of the decal--plus shipping." In my example of a Der Red Max decal for a 5.5" rocket--that would mean that I would have to pay $27.00 for a replacement decal sheet plus shipping. Wanna guess what Stickershock23 charges to ship a decal sheet that weighs about 1/28 of an ounce? So first Stickershock23 charges $54.00 for a decal that cost him about 50 cents--and if you have it replaced under his warranty--you get to spend another $27.00 for another 50 cent decal--wow! And it gets better: "Stickershock23 will not cover decals that come off in flight (especially at high speed)". Hello!!--what does he think that I am going to do with the decal? I guess the Stickershock23 warranty will cover a decal on a rocket that never flys. Perish the thought that I would ask that one of his decals to travel at "high speed".

Last edited:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion and if you believe his prices are high, then feel free to try someone else.

With that said, I've had 2 sets of stickers from him.... both of them of the highest quality. These are not your regular decals. I have no problem recommending StickerShock to anyone.

Secondly, I have had great service from Sticker Shock.. Both times I've ordered, it was in the mail and I had it within a few days.

I don't know what all is involved in making these decals. I can only imagine that it is not as simple as just hitting the 'PRINT' button. The effort to get these printed has to be figured into the price.

With that said, I fully recommend StickerShock. :cheers:

Last edited:
Hey guys, I appreciate the input.

Let me start here. go to any professional sign shop ask them what they charge for custom work.

Most charge $75.00 for any graphics design work they have to do. that means you bring them an image (say a set of estes decals) they charge to make them into a cutable file. then they charge per square inch of cut decal, plus extra for each extra color.

There is none of that with stickershock23.com. I NEVER CHARGE for design work. I have spent days designing custom decals for people, and never charged them for my time. I do it like that because I like to do it. it is enjoyable.

Next COST. again I charge by size. again check with any sign/decal shop. my prices are 20 to 50% cheaper than any of them charge just on size alone.

Warranty. I don't recall saying I wont replace them if they come off during flight. I 100% cover my decals. If you are not happy with them in any way contact me I will do anything I can to make you happy. SERIOUSLY I WANT YOU TO BE HAPPY WITH YOUR DECALS. I have replaced decals no questions asked and I have never heard back from anyone being unhappy with their finished product.

So bottom line on warranty I want you satisfied, and I'll do anything in my power to make you that way.

Also my crash protection warranty covers you forever. as long as you have your rocket its covered. period. I have a copy of your receipt. so if you loose it or toss it, no biggie I have it too. the only reason I ask for one is to cover me from someone trying to pull the wool over my eyes.
I have done crash protection on several rockets, and I have NEVER asked to see a receipt.

If you have not used a vinyl decal, then you need to try one. they are not just a few seconds to print on a printer. they take time and effort to make, they are easy to apply they look great and are easy to install.

Rocket man, if you think my decals are a ripoff, I'll stand behind my work. you want a set of 5.5" Der red max. You got it, give me your address, I'll send you a set for free. YEP FREE. try them out. take them to a sign shop ask them what they would charge to make them from scratch including design time. then try them on your rocket and report back to us.
Now understand. I'm going to be as critical on you as you just were on me. If you say you hate them because they were put on your rocket wrong (just an example) I'm going to come back and say you installed them wrong.

What do you think, does that sound like a deal?

One more thing. if this is a response to the "Aerotech Delays" thread.. thats cool too. my feelings aren't hurt. I know my product is the best out there. I'll be the first one to stand up for my product. and if I am wrong I'll be the first to admit I am wrong. then I'll do something about it, I won't run and stick my head in the sand.

Mark

Last edited:
Let me add one more thing about Crash Protection.

I think half price is pretty awesome. You show me any other business out there that covers their product if you destroy it? if you buy a TV and you drop it out the back of your truck on the way home, go see if best buy will give you a second one at half price... it ain't going to happen.

If you crash your car on the way home from the dealership the day you bought it and get in a crash will Chevrolet give you a new car? your insurance might but you have to pay for that, and then it goes up! I offer it FREE! no matter how many time you use it!

If you crash your rocket will PML give you a new body tube at half price? will home depot give you a new sheet of plywood at half price? will perfect flite give you a new piece of electronics? (again just an example nothing against PML, home depot or perfect flite )

I didn't crash your rocket, I didn't make your rocket crash. but if it does happen you can feel better knowing its only going to coast you half as much to fix it.

Like Skycopp said: you are entitled to your opinion.

Having received my very first order from Stickershock yesterday, I feel compelled to respond.

Are you claiming that you can go to Hobbytown USA and get a set of multicolor decals for a 5.5" Red Max for $6-$8? I challenge you to do so. Have you tried to get a set of decals for a 5.5" Red Max before; if so what was the quoted price? I'm simply dumbfounded that you question the product and service.:eyepop: I don't understand your rant.

Shipping: $5.85 for Priority; there in 3 days or less. I do a lot of Ebaying: selling and buying: the only thing I can ship for $5.85 or less is the little friggin' Small flat rate box. When I received my order from Stickershock yesterday, the package was about 4' long; I payed $5.85. You think it can be beat: prove it.

Typically I cut my own decals; I spend hours sizing text and graphics on CAD, print them out, transfer them to decal stock and cut them out individually. I enjoy doing so, therefore don't mind the time I spend with it. That said, I can easily consume 3 or 4 hours creating single color basic graphics for a single rocket when all is said and done. To me, that amount of work justifies an occasional purchase of a $50 set of multicolor extravagent decals with backing that makes installation stupid proof.

Crash protection Warranty: I'm uber stupified that you question this. He's offering to help replace decals that are damaged to no fault of his own. How generous of him. He didn't break it, but he's willing to help fix it. :confused2:Shame on him????:confused2:

Madsen, I'll say it again, you are entitled to your opinion. However, I don't understand your sense of value. Find a comparable product at comparable prices that offer comparable price(s), then get back to me.

-Eric-

I'll add this about StickerShock...
I'm such a procrastinator. I always wait until the last minute to get things. When I was getting Black 5 ready for LDRS, I had one week to go. A flurry of emails with StickerShock and within a couple of days, I had my decals. Unfortunately, Black 5 bit the dust... but you know what... Sticker Shock is going to replace them if I rebuild the rocket.

The second time I ordered from him, one week to go to Red Glare 7. A flurry of emails, Stickershock still had the design for the original... I told him Quarterscale.. Bam... within a couple of days I had my stickers.

When its down to the wire, for great service with great stickers... STickerShock has the Skycopp seal of approval.

SkycoppwithminiBlack5.JPG

Last edited:
Rocket man, if you think my decals are a ripoff, I'll stand behind my work. you want a set of 5.5" Der red max. You got it, give me your address, I'll send you a set for free. YEP FREE. try them out.
Mark

What can I say? Perfect response. I was ignorant about vinyl. I won't make you send me any der red max decals, and I take what I said back. However, I'm buying a loc aura soon and i'd like some decals for that. Any chance of you shipping to the uk? Any idea of price?

The price that Mark charges is very reasonable. I have gotten custon vinyl done by other people and paid more or if it was cheaper the decals where junk. The set of decals Mark did for our Solar Clipper where of top quality material and his service was top notch. I would recommend stickershock23 to anyone.

If you think you can do them cheaper then go out and buy a vinyl cutter, vinyl material, computer and software to design and run the cutter. This alone will make your head spin, I know because we just went through looking into this.

I ordered a set of 4" Cherokee D vinyls and I don't want to put them on my rocket. They look so beutiful! I also ordered a 5.5" Nike Smoke nosecone Mark was selling. He threw in the NIKE SMOKE lettering FREE!! And shipping only cost me like $12!

Like David said, when we rebuild Black 5, I am sure Mark will honor his warranty. Hes a great guy as far as im concerned. You get what you pay for, and I think he is well worth it.

Maybe we need a poll "who likes stickershocks quality/price, who doesnt?" :roll:

Ben

What can I say? Perfect response. I was ignorant about vinyl. I won't make you send me any der red max decals, and I take what I said back. However, I'm buying a loc aura soon and i'd like some decals for that. Any chance of you shipping to the uk? Any idea of price?

Rocketman,

Thank you for coming back like that. I appreciate you listening and trying something new.

Let me look up the LOC Aura decals. see what I can do. I will get a preview up as soon as I can.

Yes I ship to the UK. BUT I don't have my website set up to do a paypal purchase with shipping to the UK. Just to many different places and prices.

For out of the US shipping (this means anywhere) I ask for your address, go to my postman and ask him what it costs.

small stuff (typical decals sizes) go first class as low as $5 to $6 US. and as high as $15. this can take about 2 weeks to get to you.

I typically ad $1-2 for my time and packing materials. nothing more.

I have also done Priority international, it tends to be really expensive, at least $15.00 i've seen as high as $30.00 that is about a week to get to you and it can be tracked. I would suggest the first class international.
If for some reason you don't get your decals. I'll make another set and ship them. NO PROBLEM!

shoot me a private e-mail give me your mailing address and I will see what it costs to get to you.

Since you are out of the US. as long as I can do the Aura decals I'll stand behind what I said. I'll make them for you FREE, but I will sk that you pay the shipping! and again report back and tell me what you think!

Thanks again

Never Fly Naked!!!

Mark

Rocketman,

Thank you for coming back like that. I appreciate you listening and trying something new.

Let me look up the LOC Aura decals. see what I can do. I will get a preview up as soon as I can.

Yes I ship to the UK. BUT I don't have my website set up to do a paypal purchase with shipping to the UK. Just to many different places and prices.

For out of the US shipping (this means anywhere) I ask for your address, go to my postman and ask him what it costs.

small stuff (typical decals sizes) go first class as low as $5 to $6 US. and as high as $15. this can take about 2 weeks to get to you.

I typically ad $1-2 for my time and packing materials. nothing more.

I have also done Priority international, it tends to be really expensive, at least $15.00 i've seen as high as $30.00 that is about a week to get to you and it can be tracked. I would suggest the first class international.
If for some reason you don't get your decals. I'll make another set and ship them. NO PROBLEM!

shoot me a private e-mail give me your mailing address and I will see what it costs to get to you.

Since you are out of the US. as long as I can do the Aura decals I'll stand behind what I said. I'll make them for you FREE, but I will sk that you pay the shipping! and again report back and tell me what you think!

Thanks again

Never Fly Naked!!!

Mark
Mark, WOW. I will recommend you to everyone. I'm sorry I was so ignorant at first, and I will definately buy from you. You have argued your point perfectly, and I can tell from your confidence that your products are of high quality. Expect an e-mail soon.

As a point of reference, a set of Der Red Max decals for BT101 (4") airframe from Excelsior rocketry is $38. Excelsior provides top notch water slides and I'd recommend them also. I do prefer vinyl or other adhesive backed for the larger birds as I have found them to be a bit more durable and don't need a clearcoat.

Nevertheless, there is more material involved in a 5.5" decal than a 4" version, so I'd say as a basis for comparison, they are close.

As a point of reference, a set of Der Red Max decals for BT101 (4") airframe from Excelsior rocketry is $38. Excelsior provides top notch water slides and I'd recommend them also. I do prefer vinyl or other adhesive backed for the larger birds as I have found them to be a bit more durable and don't need a clearcoat.

Nevertheless, there is more material involved in a 5.5" decal than a 4" version, so I'd say as a basis for comparison, they are close.

One more point here, For smaller stuff, I would also recommend waterslide decals and Excelsior great stuff.

Why would I say that. well the draw back to vinyl is size. I can only cut soo small. example Lettering about 1/4 tall smaller than that they tend to look sloppy. things like circles (bolts etc) are good down to about 1/8" or a little smaller. and multi colors that small are tough to do.

Thats when you go to waterslide!

Mark, WOW. I will recommend you to everyone. I'm sorry I was so ignorant at first, and I will definately buy from you. You have argued your point perfectly, and I can tell from your confidence that your products are of high quality. Expect an e-mail soon.

Its amazing what free things will do to someone opinion :roll: :)

Ben

Looking forward to doing them for you!

My e-mail is

[email protected]

Be sure to remind me that you are "rocketman" from TRF!

I am also glad I could work this out with you. I really am happy to do this for the rocketry community!

Thanks to all that made good comments!

Its amazing what free things will do to someone opinion :roll: :)

Ben

:rolleyes:
seriously, though, If someone is prepared to put their reputation on the line, and respond within an hour of someone's complaint, then I am prepared to become a customer.
*buys stickershock bumper sticker*

Please,Think before you post !!!!!If you have problems with a vendor talk to them first before bashing them on a public web-site.Stickershock23 ,Way to stand behind your work, it is always great to have another option out there besides waterslide decals.Keep up the good work...Well maybe I'm mad too!!!!So please send my FREE" HARM 88A"decals to my address....ha.ha.ha J.P.

I must jump in and say that Mark is way ahead of the pack in both customer service and quality. I have ordered at least six different sets and they have arrived quickly and been top quality. I reccomend Stickershock to everyone at launches that ask me about the decals I use.

Thanks again Mark!!!

Patrick

P1020663.jpg

P1020787.jpg

P1020489.JPG

P1020533.jpg

P1020640.jpg

Please,Think before you post !!!!!If you have problems with a vendor talk to them first before bashing them on a public web-site.Stickershock23 ,Way to stand behind your work, it is always great to have another option out there besides waterslide decals.Keep up the good work...Well maybe I'm mad too!!!!So please send my FREE" HARM 88A"decals to my address....ha.ha.ha J.P.

YEAH... UH THAT TRAIN LEFT THE STATION A FEW MINITS AGO......:p

I am not mad that he posted that here. like you saidI am willing to stand behind my product so it is just a discussion not a bashing. and besides, its already gotten 150 plus hits... thats advertising you can't buy!!

Might as well throw in my pic of the full sized Black 5 that Sticker Shock did the lettering for... (note he did the lettering ,the circled 5, and the project sticker at the rear -the stripes were mine)

Black5-1.JPG

Smells like a troll to me........:dark:

Madsen, most people that rant this hard about a vendor's service and/or prices would have actually bought something from them first. THEN complain. As you can see by the above posts, several of us have purchased decals from Mark and are very pleased with his service and products.

Cliff

Looking at the Stickershock23 website--I tried to order some decals--until I read the fine print. Buyer beware! First of all--Price--are these decals printed on gold paper? For example: I wanted a sheet of Der Red Max decals for a 5.5" rocket. In the past, I would have gone to Hobby Town--and bought some neat looking decals for $6.00-$8.00 a sheet. Stickershock23 wants $54.00 for a sheet (5 usable decals) to fit a 5.5" rocket. What a deal! The decals are the most expensive component of the rocket! And now--the good part--WARRANTY!! Stickershock23 prides himself on his warrranty--who can blame him--it is no value to the customer. First, there is the "Crash Protection Warranty"--sounds good--sort of--until you get into the details of the warranty. First, you must have the original receipt--who keeps a receipt for a decal? Does Stickershock23 not recognize his own work? Second, you pay "only1/2 the original cost of the decal--plus shipping." In my example of a Der Red Max decal for a 5.5" rocket--that would mean that I would have to pay $27.00 for a replacement decal sheet plus shipping. Wanna guess what Stickershock23 charges to ship a decal sheet that weighs about 1/28 of an ounce? So first Stickershock23 charges $54.00 for a decal that cost him about 50 cents--and if you have it replaced under his warranty--you get to spend another $27.00 for another 50 cent decal--wow! And it gets better: "Stickershock23 will not cover decals that come off in flight (especially at high speed)". Hello!!--what does he think that I am going to do with the decal? I guess the Stickershock23 warranty will cover a decal on a rocket that never flys. Perish the thought that I would ask that one of his decals to travel at "high speed".

Might as well throw in my pic of the full sized Black 5 that Sticker Shock did the lettering for... (note he did the lettering ,the circled 5, and the project sticker at the rear -the stripes were mine)

NICE! when your ready to rebuild you got a set of decals coming at 1/2 price!

By the way if you'd stop looking like richard simmons maybe you will find LOVE... :D Change your Avatar to this one... It might help out..

Unless there is a story behind the Richard Simmons thing.... God I'd be embarrassed if that was really you...

fabio_01.jpg

If Madsen is complaining, then why is rocketman getting free vinyl?

I have purchased form Mark and it took some communication to get the custom design I wanted just right. I think Mark made 5-7 designs per my description and I 'red-lined' them until they looked how I saw them in my head. Once it was worked out, I received them in 2 days, I think. They look fine on the backing, but I am embarrassed to say that I have yet to put them on the rocket, but its just been a time problem, not a quality issue.

Sandy.

AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH !!!!!

Too much Richard Simmons...

Time to pull reverse Genie and
go back to my bottle....
:y:

I also have to chime in here. Mark excels in customer service with a quality product.

I ordered custom vinyl from him in the summer in preparation for my L3 build. He was careful to match my obscure font, produced and shipped immediately. I waited about 10 days and then emailed him as I had not received the shipment. He immediately produced another set and sent it out which I received in two days! As it turns out the first Priority Mail package was lost/delayed and I received both sets on the same day. I emailed back to return one set and he said "Keep 'em both"--superb service.

I'm afraid that I'm starting to associate vinyl stickers with Richard Simmons.

How about a thread with Excelsior's waterslide decals and Monica Bellucci avatars?

Back