Stickershock 23

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Facebook can be great, and it can be terrible.

I like keeping in touch with real-world friends and family on Facebook and seeing what they are up to. I’m not a person who calls or emails friends very often, so Facebook has been a great way to keep up with people, especially more casual acquaintances. And I’m a member of several groups that cater to interests, like rocketry and other things I enjoy. So that’s all good.

But I’ve also had some relationships damaged by interactions on Facebook, including some important real-world friendships. I’ve seen an ugly side to certain friends revealed on Facebook that I had not seen in a lifetime of real-world friendship. And I’m sure there are people who see me in a different light than they did before Facebook. So that’s not so great.

I have seen lots of examples of vendors using Facebook in ways that damage their business. Vendors make a huge mistake when they don’t maintain separate accounts for their business and their personal page or when they treat their business page like a personal page. In the past, I’ve accepted personal friend requests from people I’ve known only as vendors, and it has generally not gone well. Mostly they have been vendors with great products and excellent service who were very responsive and professional. Great vendors. But they have been terrible Facebook friends. I’ve had vendors who I really liked as vendors, but after I accepted their personal friend requests they came onto my personal page, got into arguments, posted obnoxious garbage, insulted me and my friends, and generally caused a mess that I then had to patch up with my real-world friends. That’s not just rude as a human being, it’s an extremely bad business practice. Those people are no longer Facebook friends, and I am no longer their customer.

I‘ve known other vendors who have done a great job on social media. They may have a personal page, but they don’t send out friend requests to people they only know as customers. They create professional pages for their business, and they don’t mix their personal politics, religion, beliefs, gripes, peeves, etc. into their business messaging. It’s a great platform for making business announcements and can be a good way to interact with customers in a professional way, but it shouldn’t be used to over share personal stuff with your customers or to discuss controversial topics with them.

Let me add my own prayers for Mark and his family. I'd also like to echo endorsements of his great work.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I do have a nagging question. I'm not on Facebook either, though I do "read the mail" on the NAR facebook page from time to time.

At a recent launch, I heard other flyers complaining about the NAR Facebook page, and NAR in general terms--related to an incident(s) on FB. Felt completely lost in the conversation.

What are the issues? (Briefly) Many in our section are joining Tripoli instead. This concerns me...nothing against Tripoli, but the long-term health of NAR is important to the hobby.

Ok update today..

So after all the scans etc yes the cancer is in her brain and spinal cord..

so they are going to be doing a direct chemo treatment..

they actually will drill a hole in her skull and put a "port" in to let them do chemo treatments right to the Menengite layer

so more surgery... more treatments

good news is it has not started to cause the typical "side effects" lost moro skills stroke like stuff etc so we may have caught it early enough.. bad news, there is no way to know how well this treatment will work or not.. and we have to stop her normal chemo treatments to do this..

I appreciate everyones help and prayers etc. at this point it is pretty much in "gods" hands not much else I can do but be there for her..

SOmeone asked if they could help.. first just by understanding and still supporting us thats HUGE. and all the good words even if I dont reply back I TRULY am thankful for them..

if you go to the website there is a go fund me page link on the top sliding ad if thats the kind of help you would be intrested in too.

again thank you to everyone... if you are placing orders this next week or two will be crazy.. ill get to you as soon as i can!

Ok update today..

So after all the scans etc yes the cancer is in her brain and spinal cord..

so they are going to be doing a direct chemo treatment..

they actually will drill a hole in her skull and put a "port" in to let them do chemo treatments right to the Menengite layer

so more surgery... more treatments

good news is it has not started to cause the typical "side effects" lost moro skills stroke like stuff etc so we may have caught it early enough.. bad news, there is no way to know how well this treatment will work or not.. and we have to stop her normal chemo treatments to do this..

I appreciate everyones help and prayers etc. at this point it is pretty much in "gods" hands not much else I can do but be there for her..

SOmeone asked if they could help.. first just by understanding and still supporting us thats HUGE. and all the good words even if I dont reply back I TRULY am thankful for them..

if you go to the website there is a go fund me page link on the top sliding ad if thats the kind of help you would be intrested in too.

again thank you to everyone... if you are placing orders this next week or two will be crazy.. ill get to you as soon as i can!
Tough. Feel for you. Prayers.

Alton YEs she sure did..help more than once!

Charles THANK YOU you saved my life with all your

thank you everyone! I wish I could do more too!

My prayers to you and your wife. My mom died of cancer. She beat it for 15 years. Modern medicine is gradually improving.

I wouldn’t mind if you made more YT videos to demo your products like the MFB above.

My prayers to you and your wife. My mom died of cancer. She beat it for 15 years. Modern medicine is gradually improving.

I wouldn’t mind if you made more YT videos to demo your products like the MFB above.
So sorry to hear that.... Cancer just sucks period..

Sorry for this challenging time. I confess I don't pray as often and others might so I'll do this instead:

If any science student is reading: go study medical physics. You could end up:
  • actually dealing with antimatter and all sorts of cool nuclear gimmickry in a safe way,
  • playing with huge superconducting (as in zero resistance) electromagnets, the kind that can almost levitate stuff,
  • being Q for the James Bond's who shoot proton beams and gamma rays at evil enemy cancer cells,
  • making unbelievable nervous system imagery,
  • using just about everything you've ever learned in class not knowing exactly why, and
  • probably more.
And all that while doing funky research most people support, not starving, and making someone's life better.

Mark, you know me. Major mojo your way for Marian. She WILL sign another of my rockets in the future. Hugs all around. Take care of yourself so you can take care of the others. Give the rug rats a high five from Uncle Dave. Stay safe, stay sane. Use my email if I can help. Hang in there, brother, a lot of us are pulling for a good outcome. We will see everybody on the playa some day in the future. With your handiwork on them. Peace in your head, heart and home.

Again thank you everyone they set an appointment for Next tuesday to do the brain surgery again its not a HUGE procedure they basically put in a port so they can inject chemo right into where her spinal fluid is created, this allows for easy access

they will then treat her 2 times a week for the next month or so so as you know I will be gone a lot if you place orders im sure you will understand the delays!

I cant wait for this to be overwith then we can all sit back at a launch around the campfire. BBQ some steaks have a few cold beverages and laugh about all this.. you are all invited for sure!

Again thank you everyone they set an appointment for Next tuesday to do the brain surgery again its not a HUGE procedure they basically put in a port so they can inject chemo right into where her spinal fluid is created, this allows for easy access

they will then treat her 2 times a week for the next month or so so as you know I will be gone a lot if you place orders im sure you will understand the delays!

I cant wait for this to be overwith then we can all sit back at a launch around the campfire. BBQ some steaks have a few cold beverages and laugh about all this.. you are all invited for sure!
You are both in my thoughts and prayers. I have had brain surgery before so I know what it is like.

Back