stick rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is against the safety code, but has anyone attempted to make a stick guided rocket before? Stick guided as in the rocket attached to a stick like fireworks, but with a recovery system instead.

I've seen a guy fly one at the field I fly at. It's basically a giant bottle rocket with recovery. Both times he's flown it, it's been very unstable. Goes up a couple of hundred feet and arcs right over.

I'm not sure if this is against the safety code, but has anyone attempted to make a stick guided rocket before? Stick guided as in the rocket attached to a stick like fireworks, but with a recovery system instead.

Pretty much if there's a parachute then it's a legal hobby rocket. As to the rocket that goes unstable I'd bet it needs a longer stick ;)

One of the guys in (what used to be) the local NAR chapter had several rockets based on fireworks, both bottle-rocket and the type with plastic fins. Of course they were fully NAR regulation compliant - recovery device, electric launch, etc. But it was fun to see the unsuspecting freak out when he carried them to the pad...

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth stick rockets were fairly common at Lucerne night launches. I can still hear the cry of "M motor......On a stick"
The sticks used were great long bamboo poles cut in the LA River.

M

The one picture I seen on this thread the stick is way too short. The stick should be at least 5 times as long as the rocket to be effective.

I made a few stick rockets in the early 80's. D12-0's taped to three foot long 1/4 inch dowels. They worked great and were mostly stable.

After exploding several FSI F100's I made a bottle rocket from the last one, packed a bunch of black powder and Roman Candle balls from a broken firework. It was the only F100 that actually made it to apogee....

Stick needs to be at least 3 times the lenght of body and nose cone. (from history channel, Ancient Discoveries, Chinese Rockets)

The one picture I seen on this thread the stick is way too short. The stick should be at least 5 times as long as the rocket to be effective.
3x or 5x times. Killing me here! Anywhoo- the rocket in the pic has fins. Not a TRUE stick in the mud rocket.
But,it looks cool,and it took 2cnd place in a contest, so...la dee da.... :wink:

Last edited:
3x or 5x times. Killing me here! Anywhoo- the rocket in the pic has fins. Not a TRUE stick in the mud rocket.
But,it looks cool,and it took 2cnd place in a contest so..la dee da.... :wink:

You tell 'em, Scotty!

Video for ldrs 23 bottle rocket► 1:05► 1:05
m.youtube.com/watc...
Oct 17, 2013

Like this one?

[video=youtube;Vwe_cCka-gs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwe_cCka-gs[/video]

This one's big too, all bp.

Start at around 1:00

Hmm, might be a good way to use up the old FSI engines that have been in the flight box for years.

I was going to do one tonight, for NYE, but I'm tired, it's cold and I forgot the formula. So YouTube will have to do for this year.

[video=youtube;HmC_1ZDilts]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmC_1ZDilts[/video]

Looks like they had a bit too much ejection charge. :surprised:

Also fuse ignition is against the safety code... not sure about the ejection charge part. Someone could probably say that the overuse of ejection charge was a deliberate attempt at getting around the explosive payload thing... but who knows, some people may accidentally use a whole pound of Goex for ejection charge....

Also fuse ignition is against the safety code... not sure about the ejection charge part. Someone could probably say that the overuse of ejection charge was a deliberate attempt at getting around the explosive payload thing... but who knows, some people may accidentally use a whole pound of Goex for ejection charge....

We have several fireworks guys that post here, too. That looks to be a legitimate firework, they can be ignited pretty much anyway they want. They have their own NFPA Codes that have no relationship to rocketry and yet they have rockets, too. It's just they generally explode instead of returning under parachute :)

I know... but salutes are sensitive in their circles because in the eyes of the law, the line between salutes and destructive devices are very fine...

Here's one that might be viewed as crossing the line.

[video=youtube;kG1hVvhGEI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG1hVvhGEI0[/video]

That must be what, 1000 dollars in hardware?

Awww, heck, no, that's a junk rocket. built as cheaply as possible because they knew it was going to blow up. The airframe of my 3rd level rocket was under $30 and I built it pretty stout, made it from PVC drain pipe. Rocketry can be done on the cheap.

I wonder about PVC pipes... How do you glue it, or even get paints to stick to it? Epoxy will not stick to PVC.

I wonder about PVC pipes... How do you glue it, or even get paints to stick to it? Epoxy will not stick to PVC.
Sure it will, my conformation (not certification) rocket is also PVC and 21 years old and I would have no problems loading a J350 in it anytime, Secret is scuffing the surface with very rough sandpaper, like 60 grit rough. This raises a "tooth" for the epoxy to grab. There's no hint of separation between the epoxy and PVC.

And paints, are you kidding? You're are essentially spraying plastic on plastic, it sticks.

Back