Steve Eave's Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve's rocket was amazing for sure.

It doesn't hold a candle to Down Right Ignorant though. It was the first in HPR and is what started the "Mega" rocket builds. It is generally what was the inspiration for all the people like Steve who built their ultra large scale rockets.

Its amazing to see where we've come over the years. :)

Sorry,gotta disagree. Chuck Sackett and Mike Ward's Project 463 was bigger. And don't get me started about the Aussie's V2! What a waste of a perfectly good motor!!! But I do agree with the spirit of your post.

Believe me that's not the case. Wasting such a big motor for just a few hundred foot flight is rediculous.
It's a full-scale V-2. The O25000 was presumably the only commercial motor capable of getting that thing off the ground in the first place, and probably reasonable to assume they didn't have the resources to buy a cluster of them, especially outside the US.

Pretty sure Steve and Chris Pearson and probably some other folks from NOTRA cast those motors in-house. I'll ask at the NOTRA/Skybusters party in a couple of weeks. Wouldn't shock me if they tested the propellant behind Steve's shop - he must have some understanding neighbors.
Nope.
As I understand Jeff Taylor (Loki) made the motors for the Saturn V. As far as the cases, people purchased the cases and got to keep them after the flight.

Andrew

It's a full-scale V-2. The O25000 was presumably the only commercial motor capable of getting that thing off the ground in the first place, and probably reasonable to assume they didn't have the resources to buy a cluster of them, especially outside the US.
If you could hit real nails on the head like that, you'd make a heck of a carpenter.

TP

I saw Steve's Saturn V at the 2009 Toledo RC Exhibition, about 3 weeks before the launch. He had it on static display and was taking donations for the motors. The rocket was too tall for the Seagate Center and was at an angle, supported by a sling. The rocket is very impressive in person.

I don't believe so,but I do have most of Earle's videos. Unfortunately he has requested they not be copied. Joe Hill has a few also.
I noticed several on or about Ken's table this past Saturday at our MDRA launch. Don't remember the titles as I really wasn't looking to purchase. I still intend to archive/digitize my purchased VCR tape copies at some point, before the original video tape starts to deteriorate. I don't believe Earl will mind, as I have no intention of selling or distributing copies..

Last edited:
I noticed several on or about Ken's table this past Saturday at our MDRA launch. Don't remember the titles as I really wasn't looking to purchase. I still intend to archive/digitize copies at some point, before the original video tape starts to deteriorate. I don't believe Earl will mind, as I have no intention of selling or distributing copies..
Fred, I don't know copywrite law, but I do remember Joe Hill actually spoke to Earl requesting exactly this and Earl response was negative. Might want to check with Joe as my memory isn't the best

Fred, I don't know copywrite law, but I do remember Joe Hill actually spoke to Earl requesting exactly this and Earl response was negative. Might want to check with Joe as my memory isn't the best
Copying of something copyrighted will violate the copyright law, with some exceptions, like fair use. But as a practical matter, digitizing something you already have a copy of, while a technical infringement, is not likely to attract an enforcement action as long as it’s for personal use. Enforcement is just too expensive and there is no damage to recover.

Copying of something copyrighted will violate the copyright law, with some exceptions, like fair use. But as a practical matter, digitizing something you already have a copy of, while a technical infringement, is not likely to attract an enforcement action as long as it’s for personal use. Enforcement is just too expensive and there is no damage to recover.
That's why I'm not concerned in the least. I have been doing it for several years with my VHS collection of movies. As long as I do not make copies for distribution of any type, I'm golden and I'll continue... If someone has an issue with it, that's their problem. 👍 I'm not woke enough to worry about it.

Last edited:
Nope.
As I understand Jeff Taylor (Loki) made the motors for the Saturn V. As far as the cases, people purchased the cases and got to keep them after the flight.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew - figured if I was wrong someone here would know!

Yea, you guys are right. All my previous statements are my personal opinion and not based on anything else. I absolutely love everything Tom does but for some reason the V2 just pinched a nerve. Carry on.

Yea, you guys are right. All my previous statements are my personal opinion and not based on anything else. I absolutely love everything Tom does but for some reason the V2 just pinched a nerve. Carry on.
Yep, Red Glare will be here before you know it.. No telling what Tom has in the rocket barn.

Believe me that's not the case. Wasting such a big motor for just a few hundred foot flight is rediculous.
To each their own. I was very happy to be involved with the project and the outcome. When you are on the limit for what motor you can buy you just work with what constraints you have.

What is the largest rocket you have been involved with? Have you ever been able to crawl inside and lay on your back to work on wiring? It was good fun and a great team effort.

So currently it is in ULEO (Ultra-Low-Earth-Orbit)?

Not quite: see photo in post Reference below. I would say Geosynchronous ULEO Denver,Colorado.
If you come to Denver, it is part of the current Apollo Exhibit at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.

Latest posts

Back