Stem for home schoolers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrwrxz

latest photo
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've been given a bizarre opportunity to teach Rocketry to a bunch of Doctor's kiddos of ages from (I'm guessing, based on what little info I'm getting) about 5 to pre-teens. I can make it fun, but also educational. What I'm asking is this:
How much math and or physics for this group?
I have snap together rockets not needing glue or any cutting and my 5 yo granddaughter did one for LDRS. So not really hard. Fly them as the final meeting.
Should this be a one and done deal or a couple of weeks or once a week for a few or what? Hope to get the parents involved as I really hate those that look at teachers as a babysitter. That just pisses me off. Don't know any more details as my Doc (also my main contact) is on vacation. Just need feedback since it may be approx 40 kids. I know there are pros here that do this all the time, but I'm used presenting to Stem classes grades 5 and up. I mite be screwed. Still, an opportunity to get maybe one new rocketeer. Maybe another Woody? Lol.

I would suggest some helpers, particularly for the assembly, unless the kits are so simple it isn't funny. Getting a group of 40 assembling rockets you could find out at least 20 ways it can be done wrong.

Good luck with the endeavour 🙂. Sounds like you have some experience anyway.

Make sure you have plenty of spare igniters when it comes time to fly.

Last edited:
D'oh! Didn't even get my head out on the range. Good call on those crappy ignitors. Maybe a little cheat juice on 'em. Thx!

I've helped with group builds for scouts a few times and I think the ratios are 1:5:20; 1 person who knows their stuff (i.e. you) 5 parents who can follow directions and are somewhat competent with glue etc. and 20 kids trying to do the project. Often times, the parents in the middle that 'knew' what they were doing didn't listen and the kids who payed attention knew more than the supervising parent.

I know of a few TARC/SLI instructors as well and from their stories it is similar that the people who want to learn, listen and follow, but those that think they know stuff ahead of time are the difficult ones.

I would say a handful of club members or having a heart to heart with parent helpers ahead of time will make it more successful than not.

Good luck and thanks for teaching the young ones. Who knows, you might be the one guy who motivates the kid to be the best that they can be and that is worth it. My 'ah-ha' moment was as a 5-6 year old kid getting dragged to a rocket demo that my mom was supervising the 5th grade students who were watching the demo put on by a local rocketeer. I walked away with a mosquito, a life long rocketry passion and eventually an engineering degree. I've given my share of simple kits away since then, but not a mosquito - that is a cruel joke rocket!!! :)

I've helped with group builds for scouts a few times and I think the ratios are 1:5:20; 1 person who knows their stuff (i.e. you) 5 parents who can follow directions and are somewhat competent with glue etc. and 20 kids trying to do the project.

Why am I imagining a neurosurgeon parent supervising with their thumb superglued to their forehead?

I'd jump at the chance to to a rocketry STEM experience with a school. The last 'I'll pay for everything' approach I made was met with a solid 'Meh' by the school. Contrast with (12 years ago) my eldest son's experience of, "Dad, we're building rockets and the teacher wants you to do some demo flights." Yes. Let's break out the big stuff.

IMHO:

Only enough surface math/physics to let them know it’s predictable. It’s too easy to alienate right brainers with that stuff before they can get hooked on the experience.

If you come back for another round, you can dig deeper with those who want to know.

IMHO:

Only enough surface math/physics to let them know it’s predictable. It’s too easy to alienate right brainers with that stuff before they can get hooked on the experience.

If you come back for another round, you can dig deeper with those who want to know.
Thanks for the great advice. I'm still starved for info, jeez, how long can a Doctor go on vacation for? Way above my pay grade. Still playing it by ear, but I like the two stage approach. Still a little leery about dealing with kids from what I assume (yeh, I know) an upper level income/educational bracket mix than most public schools have. At least I have old age and treachery going for me. And a really bent sense of humour.

Use the BMS School rocket kits, it makes group builds so much easier. The tubes are slotted, and everything is laser marked (no measuring/marking). CA to tack fin root tips (leading and trailing) while the glue ( Elmers Glue-All or Titebond/Gorilla wood glues). We recommend this kit exclusively after doing lots of Cub Scout and School builds.

Use the BMS School rocket kits, it makes group builds so much easier. The tubes are slotted, and everything is laser marked (no measuring/marking). CA to tack fin root tips (leading and trailing) while the glue ( Elmers Glue-All or Titebond/Gorilla wood glues). We recommend this kit exclusively after doing lots of Cub Scout and School builds.
I agree the BMS kits are sterling. Closer to home I have a deal with Discount Rocketry to supply Nexus kits, snap together, with two versions-streamer or chute. No tools or glue required. I got my 5yo granddaughter up on one at LDRS 40. Every unicorn and fairie sticker in the book, literally. This is a bizzarre case of age ranges and I'm kinda used to more 5th graders and up. I'd kill for a cub scout pack. The enthusiasm is already built in. These are "homeschoolers" so God knows what I'm getting into parent wise. Thanks for the input.

Still a little leery about dealing with kids from what I assume (yeh, I know) an upper level income/educational bracket mix than most public schools have. At least I have old age and treachery going for me. And a really bent sense of humour.

Exactly. Wear a labcoat, keep that Doc Brown/Christopher Lloyd look in your eyes, and you'll be golden.

These are "homeschoolers" so God knows what I'm getting into parent wise

Many homeschoolers are homeschooled because they don't quite "fit in", or their parents' views aren't those of mainstream ed. I'd wager you've got those covered.

Exactly. Wear a labcoat, keep that Doc Brown/Christopher Lloyd look in your eyes, and you'll be golden.

Many homeschoolers are homeschooled because they don't quite "fit in", or their parents' views aren't those of mainstream ed. I'd wager you've got those covered.
Meh, they are supposedly Doctor's kids. I'm worried more about the so-called parents. I may be prejudiced, but the 'teachers as babysitters' theme seems better to fit this socio-economic strata than public schools. Your observation of "not fitting in" reflects the basic societal skills acquired when kids progress thru the grades and phases of aging together as as peer group, for right or wrong. I could be needlessly concerned about this homeschool stuff, but I'm not sure I would be building on preexisting knowledge. Wild cards. You may be right about the Christopher Lloyd thing. Don't really have a lab coat and a rubber pyro apron may send the wrong signal. I do have an old Atlas clean room bunny suit, but again...
Maybe just stick with the hairy eye ball stuff. My fake Steely-eyed Missile Man looks only convince 3 year olds and occasionally the highly inebriated just-turned-21 females. Even my wife won't buy it. Thx for the insights, I feel I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

I'm just trying to imagine what bizarre turns my life would have taken had fyrwrxz been one of my teachers when I was just a wee lad.

s6

All I can say is, go with your mind open, meet the kids as people. Don't presume anything about misfits, insular, privilege, none of that garbage.

At this level, introductory for these ages, it's all about craft. Get those little fingers to work. They can learn how strong is cardboard and glue, that's a revelation. that might be the biggest success of the first day.

Be ready with a quick physical explanation, but don't force a lecture. Let them wonder. Eventually some will start asking questions.

Back