Static Pressure Port size

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdud

Reaction score
I've built a very small e-bay for a 54mm airframe to house my Missile Works rrc2 mini. Inside dimensions are 2" diam by 6" long. According to my calculations (based on Missile Works paperwork), the e-bay needs a single hole between 1/32 and 1/16". This seems awful small to me. Should I drill one large hole or 2 or 3 smaller holes? What size?

The hole(s) don't need to be very big to provide proper venting. I would use what the manufacturer recommends as they have tested these configurations and are making these recommendations based on experience.

If you use more than one hole, four equally spaced holes are a good idea. It reduces the effects of wind gusts. Remember, if you use four holes they can (and should) be 1/2 the diameter of the single hole. If you do the math, 4 holes of 1/2 the diameter of one hole equals the exact same area.

The hole size (coupled with the volume of the bay) acts like a low-pass filter on the internal pressure. smaller holes provide more continuous curves though have latency problems. larger holes are more prone to pressure discontinuities (in data) though have better transient response.

for 54 mm, an adequate vent is probably 3/16" diameter or larger for most applications.

Back