State of Composites for rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick Kelly

TRA#02937
Reaction score
When I was forced out of rocketry 7 to 8 years ago composites for rockets was alive and well. Since my absence I am very much intrigued with the current state of composites. All you guys that were on the leading edge of composites and you know who you are Jim, Mark, Terry along with a few others producing high end composites. It would be great to hear from you guys about the current state of composites, any new trends or techniques to share.

By composites, are you referring to tubing, adhesives, APCP, all of the above?
Hi Bat-Mike.Thanks for the question. I am referring to the advanced materials and designs of rockets. Be it plate making, airframes, new adhesives or reins, or new concepts regarding all things building related. I started a Yahoo group years ago that dealt with this sort of info. Ended up having over 800 members sharing all things composite for rockets related. Now that I am back in I am interested in all the new things associated with the above

Mick welcome back . I remember your website very well. I'm glad to see you are back in the world of HPR. How is your epoxy allergies these days ?

Eric

I am not a maker or dealer of composites, but they will chime in, I'm sure. I'll just say that Curtis Turner is still making FWFG tubes and cones, Mike Crupe is sourcing canvas phenolic tubes, which are compatible with FG sizes but lighter. There is at least one forum members rolling carbon fiber tubes, and PML is still using/selling Quantum Tube. Wildman gets his tubing somewhere, but I don't know where. And, of course, there are forum members who roll there own FG tubes.

Mick welcome back . I remember your website very well. I'm glad to see you are back in the world of HPR. How is your epoxy allergies these days ?

Eric
Hi Eric, I love the smell of epoxy in the morning. One of the fortunate ones it has never bothered me. That site is still up I se but not really useable. i tried posting and it took hours to appear even tried posting pic which never showed up. There is however still a wealth of info that's accessible on that site. I may try added it to this forum where it should have full access for those scratch builders out there.

I am not a maker or dealer of composites, but they will chime in, I'm sure. I'll just say that Curtis Turner is still making FWFG tubes and cones, Mike Crupe is sourcing canvas phenolic tubes, which are compatible with FG sizes but lighter. There is at least one forum members rolling carbon fiber tubes, and PML is still using/selling Quantum Tube. Wildman gets his tubing somewhere, but I don't know where. And, of course, there are forum members who roll there own FG tubes.
Hi Bat, The info i am referring to deals mainly with those that scratch build. I do appreciate all the vendors you mentioned for making composites readily available to those that want composite material but don't want to make it themselves.

Hi Eric, I love the smell of epoxy in the morning. One of the fortunate ones it has never bothered me. That site is still up I se but not really useable. i tried posting and it took hours to appear even tried posting pic which never showed up. There is however still a wealth of info that's accessible on that site. I may try added it to this forum where it should have full access for those scratch builders out there.
So what's the website if I may ask?

Tom

Look in the files and photo sections and if your really game go through all of the post, some great info embedded in all the muck and mire
That was some tasty much and mire! Hi Mick, glad to see you back. I'm still rolling tubes from time to time, but I haven't done much to improve the state of the art. And I suppose it is time to confess that this year's project is,...um...gulp...well..., made of,..., um..., metal. But it will have a home-rolled composite tube in it!

Jim

Hi Jim
That was some tasty much and mire! Hi Mick, glad to see you back. I'm still rolling tubes from time to time, but I haven't done much to improve the state of the art. And I suppose it is time to confess that this year's project is,...um...gulp...well..., made of,..., um..., metal. But it will have a home-rolled composite tube in it!

Jim
Hi Jim, always great to hear from you and about your projects. I guess since you have at least a touch of home brew I can find it in my heart to forgive the little bit of metal you're using. As far as improving the art you made your contribution to improving the use of composites into rocketry by sharing all those tips and tricks that you took time to share. That period in time was definitely a fun time for composites.

Mick

Back