Starting USR Piston Stager...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by stymye
looking good ! .. thats some heavy duty hardware!
Yeah, the hardware is definitely overkill, but it was the only thing I could find yesterday at Home Depot that I thought would work. I could use two smaller pieces of allthread on either side of the center hole and just put in a standalone eyebolt at the bottom. I'm open to other suggestions/ideas...

OK, I just placed an order with McMaster-Carr for some hardware for this and other projects. I'm going to stick with the 10-24 screw/eye bolt for the electronics bay, but I did order a coupling nut which will be lighter than the turnbuckle.

I'm starting the upper transition section and this will be my first attempt at constructing an "Ace Fugue Shroud", but here goes. First I marked the body tube and placed blue masking tape along the lines as a guide to assist with the cutting.

Cutting of the shroud complete with relief cuts where the body tube will bend.

The upper coupler and body tube that will guide the internal piston.

The entire rocket dry fit -- now we're cooking with gas!

Originally posted by bsexton
The entire rocket dry fit -- now we're cooking with gas!

SWEET! The whole rocket & particularly that shroud looks fantastic. Excellent work. I can't wait to see where you work in the timer...

Originally posted by lalligood
SWEET! The whole rocket & particularly that shroud looks fantastic. Excellent work. I can't wait to see where you work in the timer...
The coupler between the lower 2.2" x 18" airframe (where the motor(s) and recovery system are) and the upper 2.2" x 18" airframe (where the floating piston will reside) will become the electronics bay -- see pictures above.

The idea at this point will be to use an igniter for the upper stage with long leads that will go down the piston tube to connect to terminals on top of the electronics bay. I still haven't decided if I am going to use a break wire, pull pin or G-switch to activate the timer. I'll also want an on/off switch for the battery (9v most likely). All of that will fit just fine in the 2.2" x 4" coupler/electronics bay.

There is no other reasonable place to put the timer that I can see because of the floating piston, but I am open to suggestions.

...about using nothing but yellow glue. I constructed the Interchange Motor Mounts (single 29mm and 3 x 24mm) and I decided to use epoxy on the 3 x 24mm motor mount. Not for strength, but to protect the centering ring from the hot gases of the ejection charge. I also added "E" size engine hooks to the cluster mount for positive motor retention for anything I plan to fly in this bird (D, E, F).

Wow, this looks like a great kit. Can't wait to see how the flights turn out :D . This'll probably be the next thing I buy from USR (if I ever have any money)

Keep it up!

Phil

I've been very busy at work so progress on the Piston Stager has slowed a little. I did get my order from McMaster-Carr and I've made a slight change to the electronics bay. Instead of the turnbuckle to connect the bulkheads together I will use a connecting nut which takes up less real estate and weighs less.

Also, for more information on the Piston Stager go to:

https://www.v-serv.com/usr/kits/piston_stager.htm

I've been extremely busy at work and home which leaves very little time for rockets. I finally glued the shroud in place. I must say this was a little more difficult than I had imagined, but it was also my first time with this technique. I will have to use some Bondo to get the final finish that will be acceptable for me.

Originally posted by bsexton
I've been extremely busy at work and home which leaves very little time for rockets. I finally glued the shroud in place. I must say this was a little more difficult than I had imagined, but it was also my first time with this technique. I will have to use some Bondo to get the final finish that will be acceptable for me.

It looks excellent to me! The USR shroud technique is definitely pretty wild the first time you do it but it gets easier over time (I've done it 5 or 6 times now). BTW, it will never look truly round...the goal is really to smooth the seams over where the tube reduces down. When done well (& something tells me that you will do just that Bruce!), most people won't even realize how it was done until they ask you about it or look REAL close ;)

Keep up the excellent work!

Originally posted by lalligood
It looks excellent to me! The USR shroud technique is definitely pretty wild the first time you do it but it gets easier over time (I've done it 5 or 6 times now). BTW, it will never look truly round...the goal is really to smooth the seams over where the tube reduces down. When done well (& something tells me that you will do just that Bruce!), most people won't even realize how it was done until they ask you about it or look REAL close ;)

Keep up the excellent work!
Thanks! I'm on my second coat of Bondo on the shroud as we speak and hope to be putting some primer on it this weekend.

OK, I've finished prepping the shroud for final painting. This is a picture after two coast of Bondo (sanding in-between) and 3 coats of primer (sanding in-between). You can see the shadow where the sections come together for the shroud. I think it turned out pretty well for my first attempt.

I had David from QuickBurst make some custom igniters for this project. These are his Hot Shots for black powder motors with 28" leads.

A close-up of the head of the igniter. The 28" leads will go through the sliding piston to the top of the electronics bay where they will connect to some type of terminal (haven't decided yet).

...there is none. We are having some work done around the house and I've had to pack up my hobby room to make way for some "home improvements". I hope to be back in business in a few weeks and finish this project.

Back