Starting on Big Bertha Build Tonight- Any Last Minute Advice?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely go enjoy, try different things, and don't sweat it if they don't work perfectly.

I'm also in the camp that replaces the Estes white rubber shock cords with Kevlar, Kevlar + sewing elastic, or Kevlar + contest rubber. Besides being way too short, the Estes rubber is poor quality and degrades rapidly.

If you want to make the Bertha last for many flights, epoxy a 4" or so section of coupler tube inside the main body tube right in front of the engine mount. The extra thickness plus epoxy will make it take a lot longer for the ejection charges to burn their way through the body tube.

Here's where I get contrarian (cue sinister music)

I'll offer up another method of dealing with balsa fins in lieu of papering or the carpenter's filler: coat 'em with super glue! (I use Zap-a-Gap medium usually). Hardens the surface, makes it completely moisture-proof, and doesn't put water into contact with the balsa like the CWF does. And it's ready to sand in 60 seconds. 1 coat will get rid of most of the grain and 2 coats will eliminate it. You can use absolutely any type of paint over the cured super glue.

Also a different method for filling tube spirals - just use a fairly heavy amount of primer and sand most of it back off. This will partly or mostly fill the spirals. If you're good with how that comes out, you are done. If you want it to look perfect, then use some red 3M spot putty to fill in the remaining spiral.

Another optional upgrade is to replace the super-thick Estes parachute with an 80 gauge (0.8 mil) cleaner bag chute with 8 shroud lines and a 25-30% diameter spill hole in the center. The modern Estes chutes are twice as thick as they once were due to child safety regulations and they don't deploy well, especially in colder weather. I use fly-tying nylon shroud lines and mylar tape to stick them down. This parachute will be more effective than the stock one so you can reduce the size somewhat.

My recommendation is to build it the larger 24mm motor mount. You can always adapt down to fly on 18mm but the Bertha is such a great flier on the larger 24mm C and D motors that you might find you don't want to run the smaller motors.

Other than that I would use Kevlar as a leader for the recovery system and attach that to the motor mount just below the upper centering ring. Then attach about 6ft of 1/4" Elastic for the shock cord.

There are some variations in kit releases out there. Some come with a normal 2.75" motor mount tube while others come with the longer "stuffer" tube. If you are planning on building and flying on the stock sized 18mm motors then you really should have the larger stuffer tube design. If you are only going to run 24mm motors then it isn't needed and they have a much stronger ejection charge.
I am not into how high the rocket will fly. I plan on launching it with B's and C's. It's more the nostalgia of building and flying the same rocket I did with my late father.

Nice job, that one looks great!

That was the first rocket I remember as a kid, my older brothers had one, it was painted solid orange. I think I used that same can of orange spray paint to paint my first pinewood derby car. I still have the car, missing a wheel.
326A1DBF-6A92-44E0-BF0D-43056C7BA0C4.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome! It came out really nice. Sorry if you already mentioned, but when will the first flight be? Wishing you a successful first flight!
Thank you. Whenever New England winter weather cooperates. Unlike the blizzard we are now experiencing.

Nice job, that one looks great!

That was the first rocket I remember as a kid, my older brothers had one, it was painted solid orange. I think I used that same can of orange spray paint to paint my first pinewood derby car. I still have the car, missing a wheel.
View attachment 501900
The first Big Bertha my Dad and I built had the same American flag decal as the Pinewood Derby car I still have today, which took 2nd Place,

Just as a side note, I put a couple of very thin coats of Pledge Floor Gloss onto Big Bertha today, Looks very nice, The gloss can be purchased at Ace Hardware.

Back