Starter kit recomendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepin4Him

Reaction score
Hi folks, nice site here...more information than I know what to do with!

So I'm thinking about getting some rockets again after a 10 plus year absence. I was wondering what starter kits are good? Estes? Or perhaps somebody elses offering?

I've learned from another post here that due to the size of the area I'll be flying in I need low and slow rockets. I've read that the Big Bertha (always wanted that one when I was a kid :D) and UFO type rockets are good. Any other recomendations?

One small suggestion, unless I passed it over a FAQ for those of us that are newbies would be great.
Thanks for the help!

Hi Jeep,

If you want to get going right now, go to WalMart or KMart and get most any Estes or Quest starter set. The launcher and controllers will handle most of what you'll probably be building for a while. There is MicroMaxx from Quest, don't pick up that one if you want the versatility.

Otherwise you can order on the web from many places, my friend Tim (and occasionally my boss) has a company that makes model rockets, and he sells Quest launch equipment too.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/

shrox

Estes, Fat boy and Big Daddy are good slow low fliers.
Quest has some good ones and I would strongly recommend you look into some Flizkits (They are awesome)
Welcome to TRF and back into the hobbie:D

Get the 40 percent off coupon out of the sunday paper for Michaels MJ Design. Many of those stores carry rockets, and specifically carry Estes starter specials. That's about as cheap as you will find them, unless you luck into another Hobby Lobby 1/2 price sale (they are due for another sale in about a month?).

After you get a starter special (rocket, a few motors, launcher, ignition system) you can branch out a bit. Yes the Big Bertha (also the Big Betty knock-off) is a good one, also the Fat Boy, also just about any 18mm-motor-powered kit with a streamer (to come down a little faster and not blow away). Lots of other vendors also offer great stuff. FlisKits will have several good choices including their Rhino, and Flyin' Silverado has many kits to choose from. Look around. Enjoy. Welcome to TRF!

P.S. And you can have a blast with fun little DIY kits like the Qubit:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=8502

I picked up and Estes Stars and Stripes starter set at Wal-Mart for $16.97 Rocket Maximum altitude is 600' Complete. A8-3 to C6-7 Motor .
BAR
John

Welcome to TRF!

Take a look at the top of any page at the buttons in the upper right corner and you'll see the F.A.Q. button. :)

Enjoy!

Originally posted by Jase
Welcome to TRF!

Take a look at the top of any page at the buttons in the upper right corner and you'll see the F.A.Q. button. :)

Enjoy!

Welcome aboard! Searching for information on the forum is generally encouraged and not so much a rule. Not only is it courteous on your part, but it also avoids have to see the same questions repeatedly asked. I think the advantage to this hobby is its versatility. There is SOooo much to discuss that repeat topics are infrequent.

In terms of getting set up with a starter set, I'd say pick up an <$20 Estes set at Walmart. It'll kinda either kill the craving or light the fire. If you're a BAR, strap yourself in. You're in for a ride! Which Estes starter set? I'd go with something that accomplishes more than just "whoosh-pop". Why not go with a SnapShot RTF? This way you kinda have a mission each flight - get inflight aerial pictures! Or, check out the MaxTrax. Some people dislike the altitude electronic device, but for what it's worth, it'll keep your interest flight after flight.

Best of luck and welcome back to the hobby!

I recently picked up an Alpha III starter package at Michael's for less than $20. It included two rockets (an Alpha III and a Bandit - both are easy builders and durable with plastic fins. Also includes pad, launcher, 5 engines, wadding, etc. All you need are four AA batteries and you're all set!

As powderburner noted above, if you look for the 40% off coupon in the Sunday paper, this can be had for a price in the neighborhood of $10.

Welcome aboard!

The starter set I got for my BARness was the Estes set with the Goliath and some sort of Interceptor-style rocket. The Goliath is a big rocket, but easy to assemble- plastic fins, plastic nose, and if you don't want to paint, hi-visibility pink body tube. The other bird had die-cut balsa fins; a great way to remember your modeling skills from years ago.

The Quest controller is the best entry level controller. The Quest pad is OK, but you need to 'prop' it to change angle and you will want to get a replacement rod. Get a 1/8" diameter x 4 foot long steel rod ar Home Depot for $2. just sand it smooth and WD-40 it to keep it slick.

The Estes pad with the lightning bolt legs is very sturdy, adjustable and accommodates 1/8 and 3/16 rods. The stock rod is semi-OK, but only about 30 inches long. The heavy Estes kits really are "happier" with a 4 foot long rod.

With any pad, stabilize the legs with 2 or 3 gallon jugs filled with water or pile a brick or large rock on each leg.

-Fred Shecter
https://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=shreadvector

Originally posted by Jeepin4Him
Hi folks, nice site here...more information than I know what to do with!

So I'm thinking about getting some rockets again after a 10 plus year absence. I was wondering what starter kits are good? Estes? Or perhaps somebody elses offering?

I've learned from another post here that due to the size of the area I'll be flying in I need low and slow rockets. I've read that the Big Bertha (always wanted that one when I was a kid :D) and UFO type rockets are good. Any other recomendations?

One small suggestion, unless I passed it over a FAQ for those of us that are newbies would be great.
Thanks for the help!

For a starter set try the Estes Mega Max. With this set you get two rockets. One, the large Goliath is easy to build, requires no paint, and can be flown in smaller areas on a B motor. The other rocket is a skill level one kit and has a unique fin design. The set is a great deal and you can pick it up for about $20 at Walmart or Hobby store.
Joe

Originally posted by shreadvector
With any pad, stabilize the legs with 2 or 3 gallon jugs filled with water or pile a brick or large rock on each leg.

-Fred Shecter

Or, for a less bulky pad stabilty solution, cut the corners from a couple wire coat hangers and shove them into the ground over the pad legs (use 'em like tent stakes). Of course, this only works if you're not flying from hard-packed dirt or concrete/asphalt:D

Back