Starship Denegar - Estes Renegade kit-bash

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoVictor

Reaction score
With all the snow today, it was a perfect day to sit and watch football / build a rocket.

Here's a fun kit-bash using only the parts from an Estes Renegade (old 2-stage version). Man, there's a ton of parts in these things! :D

Overall;
000_0026.jpg

Close-up of the rear;
000_0027.jpg

Rear view;
000_0028.jpg

Side view;
000_0029.jpg

Plan is to install a 24mm motor mount, as I figure this thing will be quite heavy like a regular Renegade.

Later,
EV

Looks really good, lots of parts in that design. What's the paint scheme going to look like?

Very cool EV. The Renegade is perfect for kitbashing, such riches in parts. Your bird has some nice lines.

I've been working on a Renegade bash myself, this is where I'm kinda stuck. Unfortunately, the black paint makes some of the detail hard to see.

Renegade kitbash 1.JPG Renegade kitbash 2.JPG

That's a nice kit-bash, very imaginative! I like the look that the forward pods add, sort of an aggressive or menacing feature (are those things weapons of some sort?)

May I offer one teeny tweak: You might want to set those pods back an inch or so, to keep the front ends away from the deployed recovery system. If your new design does any sort of a tumble at apogee, the recovery tether/shock cord might snag on a tip and pop it off the rocket?

Looking forward to see the paint job you add to this--

I recently built one of the two stage versions of these kits with 24mm in both stages.

Haven’t yet launched it so no clue as to whether the boost from a D12 will strip all those fin pods off.

What!? :y: Seven days and no updates? :eyepop: Somebody is sleeping on the job... :confused:

- R_R

^ :D

Sorry, but unfortunately there's this thing called "work" that gets in the way. Had to drive all the way from Detroit to Pittsburgh and then back again in the same day. Ugh.

Out of town now for the holidays, so probably no updates until 2011.

In regards to the paint job, I have absolutely no idea! I literally just threw this together as I went along, with no plan or intent other than holding up a part and thinking, "That looks cool..."

Any suggestions for the color scheme?

Later,
EV

Yeap, I know the feeling: work, school, marriage, kids... name it. Take your time as we will come by from time to time to see the build and flight report later in the spring.

BTW Happy Holidays to all!

- R_R

Still trying to figure out how I want to paint this sucker.....

In purple and orange?
Denegar2.jpg

In dark red and black?
Denegar4.jpg

Any suggestions? Here's a blank for you to play with! :D

Denegar1.jpg

Later,
EV

Back