Starship build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonRocketry

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
New project using up some old parts laying around. This is a 5.5 " dia semi scale of the starship. This will be a cluster of three 38mm motors and will be flown on 3 I180W motors. Still got to cut centering rings and trim tube down, then the assembly process begins.

IMG_1254.jpg

55 Starship.jpg

What would be really cool would be if you could get it to somehow come down on its belly, then pop the chute and have it land upright. Maybe if you had the ejection charge shift some internal weight...

What would be really cool would be if you could get it to somehow come down on its belly, then pop the chute and have it land upright. Maybe if you had the ejection charge shift some internal weight...
I had thought about doing a side eject drogue chute and then blowing the nose at 800ft for the main but this thing is limited for space. This will be flown with motor eject and a Jolly Logic chute release. I am building this one to do some testing before I start a project on a much larger one. Hint 24" Dia :)

I had thought about doing a side eject drogue chute and then blowing the nose at 800ft for the main but this thing is limited for space. This will be flown with motor eject and a Jolly Logic chute release. I am building this one to do some testing before I start a project on a much larger one. Hint 24" Dia :)
DO IT.!!!!!

Finally got a few minutes to cut centering rings for the motor mount. Hopefully I will get a minute tomorrow to trim the tube and get it sanded down. Then I can start to cut the slots for the fins and start the assembly process.

IMG_1258.jpg

Looks really good. Did you consider making the "extra" fins clear?
I hate clear fins, they look cheap to me. I will paint the extra fins flat black so they kind of blend in. I am more worried about it flying correct than true looks. This is just a test vessel for a larger project.

I flew a SN8 model without the front canards and simply the 2 fins (bought off etsy) and it flew straight under power, during the coast there was a little wiggle but flew rather staight up.

I was surprised how it flew so nicely.

Looking great. What are you doing for motor retention.??

Last edited:
Is Giant Leap the only place you can get Slimline retainers now? Seems odd that Wildman doesn't have 'em.....

Got a chance to get back to this thing. It is all in primer finally. If weather plays nice this week I will get this thing painted. All that is left is to add nose weight and install retainers.

IMG_1318.jpg

Back