Starlight Whiplash II Review

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbarrm

Reaction score
I just received the Wiplash II in the mail and plan on starting the build monday. Again ill post a review and pics of this 2 Stage rocket.

Dan

Great. "We" love progressive reviews here on TRF.

"I" love finalized reviews, after the progressive reviews, on EMRR!

Nick

Ok here we go. Here is a photo of the kit and all its parts. It looks like a slow day here at work so I should be able to get this done today.

Dan

As this is my 3rd Starlight build I’m not sure if the instructions are getting better or I’m just getting used to them. Again the drawings need some help but do help with the assembly. Unlike the other two Starlight kits I’ve built this one had an optional instruction to help the rocket fly higher. All in all the instructions are good and easy to follow. As for parts I only had one problem. The engine block was very loose inside the body tube. I had to use a long piece of spare balsa to get more glue on the connection of the body tube and engine block. This kit also came with an engine spacer dowel for easy placement of the engine block. I also noticed that the balsa in this kit was a much better grade then the last two Starlight kits I’ve done. The recovery system uses a mylar streamer but the attachment system they use could use some work. The paper tape disk is very thin and rips easy. I also don’t like the attachment of the shock cord to the body tube.

All in all a easy build.

Pics to come.

Dan

All done and ready for paint. Yes that is my tarantula behind it.

Dan

Wow that looks cool! What tape are you using to seperate the bodytube and fin from the fillet?
Is that C6-0 to C6-5? Or is it a 24mm motor mount?
-Karl

Cool that stuff looks nice , i'll have to give that a go! You've made a realy nice finish with your fillet , what type of epoxy did you use?
-Karl

Back