Starlight rockets - Whiplash II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dev Gnoll

Reaction score
I have assembled, but not finished one of the Starlight Rockets Whiplash II kits. I figured I would put down a review to date so folks can see, and so I have a bit to copy from when I go to EMMR.

The Startlight Rockets Whiplash II is a 2-staged, streamer, 3FNC, 14" long, 18mm minimum diameter rocket. Recommended motors include B6-0, C6-0 for the bottom stage, and B6-6, C6-7 for the upper. The package claims that it is capable of 1/2 mile flights. On the C6 combo I believe it. In fact, I think it might be worthwhile to try using a B4 in the upper to see what happens. Since the upper stage is so light, I think that the extra burn time and lower mass might help.

The kit consists of 6 pre-cut fins, pre-marked body and booster tubes, launch lug, engine block, shiney streamer, assorted recovery system components, water-slide label and two pages of directions.
Motor retention is by friction fit. The kit was purchased at a local hobby shop in an effort to increase diversity in the local supply. All parts were present and in good condition

The directions consist of two photo-copied sheets, typewritten with hand-drawn illustrations. These directions have never seen the inside of a computer. They are clear, complete, appropraite for the rocket and accurate with no "gotcha's" Directions include the basic assembly with a few steps added to increase rocket performance. Unlike every other kit I have assembled to date, the instructions do not form part of the rocket. The marking on the kit parts completly elminate any measuring in the assembly. Although the maker has this as a "skill level 2" kit, I found it simpler and faster than an Estes Skill Level 1 kit.

Construction beguins by gluing in the engine block on the sustainer. A pre-marked dowel is provided in the kit to ensure the engine block is in the right place and to elminate the risk of gluing in a spare engine.

Next the fins are prepped and glued on to the pre-marked tubes. The fin roots are marked to ensure that you don't glue them on sideways. The instructions include an option to sand airfoils into the fins, and remind you not to sand the marked edge. I did sand airfoils into the sustainer fins, but just rounded the booster fins. One of my fins had a small ding due to packaging - a partial impression of the screw-eye for the recovery system. I haven't painted yet, but I think primer will fill it in. Since the fins are pre-cut, and small, sanding is a little fiddly. After prep, the fins and lug were glued to thier pre-marked locations on the body tubes. The ink used for the marking smugded under the Aliene's Tacky, but it's job.

Next was the recovery system, a shiney streamer, shock cord, and balsa nosecone. The shock cord mount was provided as a separate part, not requiring you to cut up the directions. The nose cone has spirals that sand out easily. The shape is not quite the same as the package, but close once the spirals are gone.

Construction PROs: Complete directions, no marking or measuring, basic built is very simple.
Cons: Spirals on the NC, pre-cut bits are fiddley to sand evenly.

As for finishing prep, the body tube is smooth, so I am just going to primer it and paint. This has to wait for the weather to break. The maker's color scheme is white, with a yellow booster and NC, but I think I am going to go for a darker scheme that is likley to have more contrast with the sky. Maybe a upper with black fincan and NC, and yellow body, and a booster with alternating yellow and black fins. More to follow as a get it finished and flying.

All in all it's a nice rocket, really simple built.

Thanks for you attention,

Dev Gnoll

Latest posts

Back