Star Trek Strange New Worlds Discussion Thread (Spoiler Alert!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats who I meant! Yeoman Colt!

And considering how they 'upgraded' Nurse Chapel, I look forward to seeing Ms. Colt!

OK, come on writers!!! That last episode was pretty much 'ALIEN'! Where is Lt. Ripley when you need her!????
I had trouble reconcilling the Intellegient Starship Captain Gorn that was NOT running all over everythjiong, chasing Kirk*,with this new (Old?) Gorn

Also I noticed that with this episode they pared down the cast so its closer to the crew that was on Pike's TOS Enterprise.

Speaking of Kirk, I was a bit bored last night and watched UnXplained on NF hosted by Shatner/Adm. Kirk.... Wow! Shatner has gotten old! His delivery is slow, and he isnt moving so fast anymnore... I guess he is 91 or so. Good to see he is still out there though!

Oh, and Yeah, Yeoman Colt........ :p:p

I had trouble reconcilling the Intellegient Starship Captain Gorn that was NOT running all over everythjiong, chasing Kirk*,with this new (Old?) Gorn
Yeah... I had the same problem with that episode.

I'm really going to miss Hemmer.....

Yeah, I liked Hemmer.... The interaction between him and Uhura was interesting.

There are *were* several main characters in SNW that Pike's TOS crew did not have, so I was wondering how that transition was going to be made. But the events of The Cage - or what led up to the Cage - are still way in the future (10 years?) so I don't know why they had to deal with explaining/getting rid of them now.... (Probably why no Yeoman Colt yet, as she'd still be a young Teenager at this point in the timeline....)

And BY THE WAY!!!! Newly promoted Lt. Duke was Command Officer grade (Gold shirt) WHAT??? Don't the writers know the first rule of ST! If you're going to kill folks, Red Shirts! You kill RED SHIRTS!!! :questions: :p

Could be that Gorn hatchlings are very different than adult Gorn?
Maybe they metamorphose into highly intelligent beings?
If tadpoles can become frogs, then.........
Never mind.
Re: Hemmer.
I've read that the actor who plays him says that that was the end of his stint.
But we never actually see him die do we? Even though he got a funeral.
And the atmosphere outside was very cold, "just like Andoria".
Reptiles? Cold?
Maybe the writers will bring him back at some point.

There are *were* several main characters in SNW that Pike's TOS crew did not have, so I was wondering how that transition was going to be made. But the events of The Cage - or what led up to the Cage - are still way in the future (10 years?) so I don't know why they had to deal with explaining/getting rid of them now.... (Probably why no Yeoman Colt yet, as she'd still be a young Teenager at this point in the timeline....)

Clarification:
The events on Talos IV are in the past compared to SNW.

The Menagerie (Pike in wheelchair, Spock on trial) is a decade or so in the future from current SNW. The Cage --original pilot, Enterprise encounters distress beacon-- is some years in the past. So Colt would be well into her twenties by now.

I had always thought that the Menagerie was a redo of the '"The Cage" (1st Pilot) as I thought the Cage got rejected, so Roddenberry made a 2nd Pilot ("Man Trap" then later used the footage from thge Cage as the "Menagerie" episodes.

But "The Cage" still would have been in the future relative to current SNW.
But yes, I see where Colt would have been in her 20's.

In any case, I guess I'll have to re-watch both "The Cage" (if I can find it) and "Menagerie"

I had always thought that the Menagerie was a redo of the '"The Cage" (1st Pilot) as I thought the Cage got rejected, so Roddenberry made a 2nd Pilot ("Man Trap" then later used the footage from thge Cage as the "Menagerie" episodes.

But "The Cage" still would have been in the future relative to current SNW.
But yes, I see where Colt would have been in her 20's.

In any case, I guess I'll have to re-watch both "The Cage" (if I can find it) and "Menagerie"
No, actually The Cage events are in SNWs past. In Discovery, season two, Pike again encounters Veena and the Talsosians, referencing back to events of the Cage. This is a year or two prior to SNW.

Not a re-do, but a repackaging telling the events of "The Cage" as something in Pike's and Spock's past.
Re: Hemmer.
I've read that the actor who plays him says that that was the end of his stint.
But we never actually see him die do we? Even though he got a funeral.
Yes, the in the discussion with Bruce Horak on the Ready Room episode shown after S1 Episode 9 of SNW last week
(on YouTube here: )

he said that he was told from the beginning that his character was not going to survive the whole season. *sigh*

But no, we've not seen a body.....just the beginning of a long fall.

Star Trek humor:
Have you heard about the intergalactic tennis pro whose father was an alien reptile starship captain and whose mother was a queen from an alien hive collective?
His name is Gorn Borg!
Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

Well the old Movie axiom applies..... "You're not dead If you dont see a body..."
Or you can create a temporal rift or use alien technology and change the timeline, resurrecting the dead.
Wonderful tool, time/interdimensional travel. With it the writers can:
Stop a pacifist from preventing US entry into WWII (with great sadness).
Intercept a time traveller from sabotaging a US military launch (or was it sabotage)?
Fight alien Nazis.
Invent velcro before its' time (I'm grateful for that one).
Save the space whales. :facepalm:
Prevent the Borg from interfering with Earths' First Contact.
Change the totalitarian Confederation back to the peaceful Federation
(and bring a friend back to life).
Or go forward 900+ years into the future to prevent dangerous info from falling into evil hands.
Yes, time travel temporal anomalies, the sci-fi writers' best friend.
Laters.

The Gorn retcon is HORRIBLE. No imagination, way too different from TOS (would not have minded some changes) Xenomorph geckos really? And then they kill the most interesting character in the show. now they are retconning A Ballance of Terror, making it happen many years too early. I will still watch the show because it still isn't as WOKE as Discovery, but I am getting disappointed by lazy story writers.

I'm fine with the version of the Gorn in SNW.

Anyone who does not like the difference between the stuntman in crude unarticulated rubber suit/mask in TOS, and new version (whose method of birth is not in TOS), can fight Worf with a Batleth. :)

Hl66jGq.jpg

(for the TOS impaired, TOS version of Klingon at left. And I'm sure some hated on TNG for Worf looking different from TOS Kliingons)

And then they kill the most interesting character in the show.
Well, at least the actor was told when he signed on, that it would only be for one season. And, gotta make room for another character from TOS' Enterprise to show up eventually.

now they are retconning [censored]

Fracking LACK OF SPOILER!

I am SO glad I did NOT see your post until after I watched the 10th episode today.

I thoroughly ENJOYED it.

SPOILERS

You have a totally closed mind. If you go with the "butterfly effect principle", then everything you think you know about later events.... is a form of history that never happened (also, the reverse version of "Back to the Future"). From my perspective, the timeline is the same stardate, but different people are in different places.

You could not even consider that it was the same timeline, claiming it happened "years early". When instead, it was younger (current show) Pike whose consciousness was moved 7 years into the future, and months after the accident that originally killed two cadets and injured him. He prevented THAT, but then that brought about worse consequences. Also, whatever else happened in those 7 years, he had stayed on Enterprise and thus Kirk was not in command of Enterprise, at that stardate.

What you see as "retcon", I see as an incredible "Alternate timeline" (which went back to normal after Pike went backwards 7 years at the end). Old Pike had warned his younger self that if he tries to change what he knows of the future, the future will be far far worse. But he has to experience it for himself, and does. We knew from the start of the season that Pike was troubled by knowing his future fate, so it made sense for the season finale to address it. But how? I think showing him a reverse twisted version of "It's a Wonderful life" (as in, "It's gonna be a horrible life for millions & Spock if you mess with fate"), by using Balance of Terror like that, was brilliant.

So, as of the timeline of TOS' "Balance of Terror", due to consequences of things that had changed, Pike is still in command of Enterprise, Kirk had not taken over. And the original TOS method Kirk used, worked, no Romulan war. Pike's method, while altruistic, and following Starfleet orders, ended up causing the very war he tried to avoid,

And this episode really honored several scenes from that TOS, episode, even to the "reveal music" when they see Romulans for the first time. Actually, I did not even realize it was from Balance of Terror until I saw the scene of the outpost commander on screen with flames around and realized....wait.... I've seen THAT before (and should have caught on earlier).

There are 7 segments from that TOS episode that are on youtube. The first two are quite enlightening, and some of the dialogue was word-for-word the same in SNW's version. I highly recommend seeing these two at least.

Also, later, in his last scene, the Romulan commander says some of the same words that he said in TOS' version.

And thus ends season one. Which has had quite a few twists, and turns, and Jolly Rogers, and scary ALIEN creatures, and princesses, and Freaky Friday Hijinks ensuing.

Last edited:
Season One final was great.
Writers did their homework this time.
2022 updated plasma weapon effects were awesome.
Should have shown the Enterprise reversing at full speed and the plasma dissipating like TOS.
"Limited range. It has a limited range".
Heh.

Last edited:
(for the TOS impaired, TOS version of Klingon at left. And I'm sure some hated on TNG for Worf looking different from TOS Kliingons)
Yeah, IIRC the TNG producers took a lot of heat for that at the time. So much so that there was an "explanation" for the forehead ridges in one of the ST movies. A moon over the Klingon homeworld exploded from a nuclear waste accident, irradiating the population and mutating their genes, resulting in the ridges.
Heh.

I'm fine with the version of the Gorn in SNW.

Anyone who does not like the difference between the stuntman in crude unarticulated rubber suit/mask in TOS, and new version (whose method of birth is not in TOS), can fight Worf with a Batleth. :)

Hl66jGq.jpg

Well, at least the actor was told when he signed on, that it would only be for one season. And, gotta make room for another character from TOS' Enterprise to show up eventually.

Fracking LACK OF SPOILER!

I am SO glad I did NOT see your post until after I watched the 10th episode today.

I thoroughly ENJOYED it.

SPOILERS

You have a totally closed mind. If you go with the "butterfly effect principle", then everything you think you know about later events.... is a form of history that never happened (also, the reverse version of "Back to the Future"). From my perspective, the timeline is the same stardate, but different people are in different places.

You could not even consider that it was the same timeline, claiming it happened "years early". When instead, it was younger (current show) Pike whose consciousness was moved 7 years into the future, and months after the accident that originally killed two cadets and injured him. He prevented THAT, but then that brought about worse consequences. Also, whatever else happened in those 7 years, he had stayed on Enterprise and thus Kirk was not in command of Enterprise, at that stardate.

What you see as "retcon", I see as an incredible "Alternate timeline" (which went back to normal after Pike went backwards 7 years at the end). Old Pike had warned his younger self that if he tries to change what he knows of the future, the future will be far far worse. But he has to experience it for himself, and does. We knew from the start of the season that Pike was troubled by knowing his future fate, so it made sense for the season finale to address it. But how? I think showing him a reverse twisted version of "It's a Wonderful life" (as in, "It's gonna be a horrible life for millions & Spock if you mess with fate"), by using Balance of Terror like that, was brilliant.

So, as of the timeline of TOS' "Balance of Terror", due to consequences of things that had changed, Pike is still in command of Enterprise, Kirk had not taken over. And the original TOS method Kirk used, worked, no Romulan war. Pike's method, while altruistic, and following Starfleet orders, ended up causing the very war he tried to avoid,

And this episode really honored several scenes from that TOS, episode, even to the "reveal music" when they see Romulans for the first time. Actually, I did not even realize it was from Balance of Terror until I saw the scene of the outpost commander on screen with flames around and realized....wait.... I've seen THAT before (and should have caught on earlier).

There are 7 segments from that TOS episode that are on youtube. The first two are quite enlightening, and some of the dialogue was word-for-word the same in SNW's version. I highly recommend seeing these two at least.

Also, later, in his last scene, the Romulan commander says some of the same words that he said in TOS' version.

And thus ends season one. Which has had quite a few twists, and turns, and Jolly Rogers, and scary ALIEN creatures, and princesses, and Freaky Friday Hijinks ensuing.

I was going by the trailer, I had no way of knowing it was going to be an alternate time line future. With the way they have been retconning things I had every right tho think this was more of the same.

I was going by the trailer, I had no way of knowing it was going to be an alternate time line future. With the way they have been retconning things I had every right tho think this was more of the same.
And that is why you should not judge an episode by its trailer. You stated a "pre-hate" of a fantastic episode without even seeing it.

And I try to avoid Trailers so I can be surprised.

And, so, you really would rather see the Gorn as poorly made stiff suits, with fixed heads with mouths that do not move? That was the worst alien suit in TOS, so fake, embarassing, even. Kirk could outrun him for years. Nothing there worthy of not updating. Or else, just get over it by considering it to be a different alien creature with a similar sounding name: The "Gohrn". :)

Last edited:
Enjoyed STW. My only real complaint was that the James T. Kirk actor was rather unmemorable in the role.

Enjoyed STW. My only real complaint was that the James T. Kirk actor was rather unmemorable in the role.
I'll second that. TOS James T Kirk has a presence and a look, and this guy was kind of a dweeb who had neither.

I liked the part where Spock was repairing the phaser conduits and he was talking via com badge to the "new" engineer. You could definitely hear the brogue in his voice. Nice touch.

And that is why you should not judge an episode by its trailer. You stated a "pre-hate" of a fantastic episode without even seeing it.

And I try to avoid Trailers so I can be surprised.

And, so, you really would rather see the Gorn as poorly made stiff suits, with fixed heads with mouths that do not move? That was the worst alien suit in TOS, so fake, embarassing, even. Kirk could outrun him for years. Nothing there worthy of not updating. Or else, just get over it by considering it to be a different alien creature with a similar sounding name: The "Gohrn". :)
"Pe-Hate?" really? Sigh.........

Back