Star Trek Online

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred22

Reaction score
Has anybody here played the new star trek online game from Cryptic and what do they think of it? I must admit I was a little confused by their rate schedule as well. One pays for the software and then there is a monthly fee. Couldnt seem to nail down what the monthly fee is.
Cheers
fred

Has anybody here played the new star trek online game from Cryptic and what do they think of it? I must admit I was a little confused by their rate schedule as well. One pays for the software and then there is a monthly fee. Couldnt seem to nail down what the monthly fee is.
Cheers
fred

I have a computer guru friend, and he has it. I sat and played it one night.. its INCREDIBLE.. I can't tell you about pricing, but the game is fantastic!

Ya - I've been playing for a couple of weeks. I haven't decided if I will stay with it or not - it just doesn't have the "flavor" of Star Trek for me. I suppose that is to be expected - they had to emphasize the combat aspects of the universe and downplay the exploration and diplomacy since neither of those really work well in an MMORPG. And since, like most other MMOs, character progression is based on the foes you defeat, it is almost all combat, whether ship to ship or man to man. The ship combat is interesting, but unrealistic: since when can a Miranda class (think Reliant from Wrath of Kahn) take out three Klingon Birds or Prey and a D7 Cruiser in one combat. It basically turns into a grind, just like most all other MMOs.

The "away teams" are a bit worse - after playing City of Heroes for several years, I was frankly disappointed in the character combat in STO. The graphics, interface and controls are not as good at in either COH or WOW.

Pricing is pretty much standard for an MMO - about $15 a month. You have to buy the game, but the first month is included in the purchase price. As I said, I haven't decided if I'll stay with it or not. It's just a bit too disappointing for a die hard Trek fan like me.

I don`t know why there`s Star Trek online?:confused2: On one of the G.I. Joe sneak peaks there`s Star Trek.:jaw:

The combat aspect of star trek is interesting but the exploration and first contact type stuff is what I really like so maybe Ill just wait. Thanks for the input guys I apreciate your time.
Cheers
Fred

I've heard lots of good reviews on it. I'm probably going to get it myself soon.

I play an MMO. World of Warcraft, the biggest one, to be precise. Here's how it works.

You buy the software. Then, in order to log onto THEIR servers, you pay the 15.00/month subscription fee. Of course, there are always private servers, but you get what you pay for with those.

I know, why should I pay another 15 bucks a month on top of the software? Content. Massive amounts of content. The server banks these places have are huge. WoW has over 12 million players. You'd need your entire machine just to solo the content, never mind play with or against others.

That's the big draw. Playing with other people. I belong to a guild. And we do dungeons, call raids, together as a group. And we have a ball doing it.

Sounds like fun mystical but the combat apects are not the main focus of trek for me.If you give it a whirl let me know what you think about it:)
Cheers
fred

Sounds like fun mystical but the combat apects are not the main focus of trek for me.If you give it a whirl let me know what you think about it:)
Cheers
fred

You can't just hide in your quarters when there are Romulans just off starboard!

You can't just hide in your quarters when there are Romulans just off starboard!

I have absolutely no problem with conflict:) I just really like the idea of exploring new places. I guess at 46 having toured some of the worlds less then pleasant places in the army as a young man I just want to see whats over the hill :) Now mind you if they wont share their romulan ale thats different:)
Cheers
fred

I've been playing it sporadically. It's kinda fun, but honestly all MMO's are starting to feel the same. In this case, sure it's fun to go out & blow up some Klingons or whatever... but it does get old after a while.

I've been playing it sporadically. It's kinda fun, but honestly all MMO's are starting to feel the same. In this case, sure it's fun to go out & blow up some Klingons or whatever... but it does get old after a while.
I dont like a lot games either PC or game deck but ocasionally I find one I really like. I enjoy board games a lot more but on the site they did mention exploration and diplomacy. It sounds like not what I had in mind but that does not reflect on its quality at all.
Cheers
fred

I'm playing it and have a lifetime subscription. :y: I have an avatar that is just about to ding Commander level.

It is gorgeous. The artwork is outstanding. It also ties heavily into the new Trek although familiar places like DS9 are there as well.

It was also rushed to market too soon and is very limited in content currently. Therefore it is very repetitive. It's not really a true MMO as it is highly instanced, generally no more than 5 man teams. There is a boat load of zoning. You can solo the game without grouping much. But some of the grouping missions are very fun... if you don't get bonehead teammates. ;) You WILL be grinding some repeatable missions, but some of them are loads of fun. Likewise a few are, "Auaagh, not this again!"

There is both ground and space-based combat. Leveling yourself and your bridge officers/away team is pretty cool with various skills that affect both styles of combat. I got bored with PvP years ago (13yr MMOG vet) so I usually don't participate and can't really comment on it but the one Klingon (the PvP race) that attacked me on a shared map got vaporized. :bangbang: There is currently no death penalty although the devs say something is in the works. Btw, the Klingons are waaaaay not fleshed out enough but they are working on it.

Gold (energy credits) farmers are rampant and I get tells/mail advertising their services pretty heavily. There is no real crafting yet and I haven't really engaged in what they do call crafting. Exploration is limited to the various zones available. You can go to any zone at any time but getting 2-hit (one for the shield, one for the hull) by a +30 Mob is not very fun.

I cannot comment on the end game gameplay as I don't have an avatar at Rear Admiral level yet. Since I pay no monthly fee, I see no need to play a certain number or hours or to powerlevel in any way. Sorry, but I'm trying to avoid burnout and accept that much of the content will be added along the way. In fact a new Borg mission (raid) got added last week for RA-level players.

There is also the matter of Cryptic/Atari and their handling of the community. It's... not good. They seem to continually miscommunicate, misunderestimate and generally anger their playerbase. Nor is their testing very thorough. Sometimes I wonder if they really have run an MMOG before. They love the microtransaction model so expect to pay a little more if you want different races, clothing or just another character slot.

Ok this is getting long so here is my take. Wait. Watch Cryptic's progress and by the time the next Trek movie rolls out, this game should be rocking. That is assuming Cryptic doesn't anger their community and chase everyone off.

I dont like a lot games either PC or game deck but ocasionally I find one I really like. I enjoy board games a lot more but on the site they did mention exploration and diplomacy. It sounds like not what I had in mind but that does not reflect on its quality at all.
Cheers
fred

Please remember, STO just came out. Which means this is the vanilla game. Games like this add A LOT of content patches as well as expansions. Using the World of Warcraft example (WoW), major content patches happen every 3-4 months or so. These add new areas, new quests, new dungeons, etc. Then they do small bug fix patches, usually 1/month or so, but I've seen it happen 2/week a few times.

For example, we have the current expansion, Wrath of the Lich King. Released in November 2008. In this expansion, we've had the following:

Patch 3.0.1- Large content patch with pre-expansion events and massive class changes.
Patch 3.0.2 - Bug fixes
Patch 3.0. - Wrath of the Lich King expansion on disk (Yes, they sometimes mess around with the number scheme. But expansion are always X.0)
Patch 3.0.3, 3.0.8, 3.0.8a, 3.0.9 - Bug fixes

Patch 3.1 - Ulduar area opens. Argent Tournament partially opens. Major class changes.
Patch 3.1.1, 3.1.1a 3.1.2, 3.1.3 - Bug fixes

Patch 3.2 - Argent Coliseum dungeon opens, New PvP battleground opens.
Patch 3.2.0a - Bug fixes
Patch 3.2.2 - WoW 5th Anniversary w/re-releases of an old raid dungeon but updated.
Patch 3.2.2a - Bug fixes

Patch 3.3 - Icecrown Citadel and the Battle against the Lich King himself opens. Major system changes.
Patch 3.3.1 - Bug fixes
Patch 3.3.2 - Bug fixes and balancing.
Patch 3.3.3 - To be released
Patch 3.3.5 - To be released - Ruby Sanctum raid dungeon.

Patch 4.0 - Cataclysm - Next expansion. Due out sometime this year. Betting odds are 3rd or 4th quarter.

See what I mean? These kinds of games update themselves A LOT. They have to, otherwise they become stale and die.

There is also the matter of Cryptic/Atari and their handling of the community. It's... not good. They seem to continually miscommunicate, misunderestimate and generally anger their playerbase. Nor is their testing very thorough. Sometimes I wonder if they really have run an MMOG before. They love the microtransaction model so expect to pay a little more if you want different races, clothing or just another character slot.

Ok this is getting long so here is my take. Wait. Watch Cryptic's progress and by the time the next Trek movie rolls out, this game should be rocking. That is assuming Cryptic doesn't anger their community and chase everyone off.

Yeah, people say that about WoW sometimes, but that's mostly the hardcore players. The casual players (about 90% of their revenue) are what Blizzard Activision are actually listening to. They also have the "We have no target dates for releases. We'll release it when its done" attitude.

Everyone seems to be going to the micro-transaction. Its a good business model. Blizzard has kept it down so it doesn't actually overpower anybody, with fun items and cosmetic pets and such. That's the right way to go.

They probably have away missions so don't make a character with a red shirt.

Please remember, STO just came out. Which means this is the vanilla game. Games like this add A LOT of content patches as well as expansions. Using the World of Warcraft example (WoW), major content patches happen every 3-4 months or so. These add new areas, new quests, new dungeons, etc. Then they do small bug fix patches, usually 1/month or so, but I've seen it happen 2/week a few times.

For example, we have the current expansion, Wrath of the Lich King. Released in November 2008. In this expansion, we've had the following:

Patch 3.0.1- Large content patch with pre-expansion events and massive class changes.
Patch 3.0.2 - Bug fixes
Patch 3.0. - Wrath of the Lich King expansion on disk (Yes, they sometimes mess around with the number scheme. But expansion are always X.0)
Patch 3.0.3, 3.0.8, 3.0.8a, 3.0.9 - Bug fixes

Patch 3.1 - Ulduar area opens. Argent Tournament partially opens. Major class changes.
Patch 3.1.1, 3.1.1a 3.1.2, 3.1.3 - Bug fixes

Patch 3.2 - Argent Coliseum dungeon opens, New PvP battleground opens.
Patch 3.2.0a - Bug fixes
Patch 3.2.2 - WoW 5th Anniversary w/re-releases of an old raid dungeon but updated.
Patch 3.2.2a - Bug fixes

Patch 3.3 - Icecrown Citadel and the Battle against the Lich King himself opens. Major system changes.
Patch 3.3.1 - Bug fixes
Patch 3.3.2 - Bug fixes and balancing.
Patch 3.3.3 - To be released
Patch 3.3.5 - To be released - Ruby Sanctum raid dungeon.

Patch 4.0 - Cataclysm - Next expansion. Due out sometime this year. Betting odds are 3rd or 4th quarter.

See what I mean? These kinds of games update themselves A LOT. They have to, otherwise they become stale and die.

Thanks you obviously know this stuff:) I think I will wait till it becomes more fleshed out.
Cheers
fred

I'm playing it and have a lifetime subscription. :y: I have an avatar that is just about to ding Commander level.

It is gorgeous. The artwork is outstanding. It also ties heavily into the new Trek although familiar places like DS9 are there as well.

It was also rushed to market too soon and is very limited in content currently. Therefore it is very repetitive. It's not really a true MMO as it is highly instanced, generally no more than 5 man teams. There is a boat load of zoning. You can solo the game without grouping much. But some of the grouping missions are very fun... if you don't get bonehead teammates. ;) You WILL be grinding some repeatable missions, but some of them are loads of fun. Likewise a few are, "Auaagh, not this again!"

There is both ground and space-based combat. Leveling yourself and your bridge officers/away team is pretty cool with various skills that affect both styles of combat. I got bored with PvP years ago (13yr MMOG vet) so I usually don't participate and can't really comment on it but the one Klingon (the PvP race) that attacked me on a shared map got vaporized. :bangbang: There is currently no death penalty although the devs say something is in the works. Btw, the Klingons are waaaaay not fleshed out enough but they are working on it.

Gold (energy credits) farmers are rampant and I get tells/mail advertising their services pretty heavily. There is no real crafting yet and I haven't really engaged in what they do call crafting. Exploration is limited to the various zones available. You can go to any zone at any time but getting 2-hit (one for the shield, one for the hull) by a +30 Mob is not very fun.

I cannot comment on the end game gameplay as I don't have an avatar at Rear Admiral level yet. Since I pay no monthly fee, I see no need to play a certain number or hours or to powerlevel in any way. Sorry, but I'm trying to avoid burnout and accept that much of the content will be added along the way. In fact a new Borg mission (raid) got added last week for RA-level players.

Im a TOS fan myself but thanks for your post. I think Ill just wait:)
Cheers
Fred

I've heard lots of good reviews on it. I'm probably going to get it myself soon.

I play an MMO. World of Warcraft, the biggest one, to be precise. Here's how it works.

You buy the software. Then, in order to log onto THEIR servers, you pay the 15.00/month subscription fee. Of course, there are always private servers, but you get what you pay for with those.

I know, why should I pay another 15 bucks a month on top of the software? Content. Massive amounts of content. The server banks these places have are huge. WoW has over 12 million players. You'd need your entire machine just to solo the content, never mind play with or against others.

That's the big draw. Playing with other people. I belong to a guild. And we do dungeons, call raids, together as a group. And we have a ball doing it.

I've only got one thing to say to that....

LLLLEEEEE-RRRROOOOYYYY ah- JJJJEEEEEENNNNN-KKKKIIIIINNNNNSSSSS!!!!!

LOL :) Later! OL JR :)

Back