Star Orbiter streamer recovery?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novahobbies

Reaction score
I've been working on my Star Orbiter this week. Upgraded it with the plywood fins and centering rings, got the filets down with JB, and i started thinking. Considering I'm looking at F motors, and the field isn't huge, might I be better off with a streamer recovery? She's got a heavy butt what with the plywood and the retention ring, but I can't help feeling that the 18" chute would just cause too much drift. I was debating between a 12" chute with a spill hole cut, or else a long streamer. Had anyone tried a non-stock recovery on their Star Orbiter?
20230528_124250.jpg

I don’t think a streamer would be entirely out of the question, a stock build is pretty light. I wouldn’t think your upgrades would do much to change that.

I would think it’s better to get it back with a little bit of damage than to lose it entirely.

The other advantage with a very long, HPR-type streamer is visibility. You won’t have to squint to spot 30 ft of brightly colored nylon.

I was definitely thinking a LONG streamer, tho I don't think 30' was quite what I had in mind! 🤣 You're certainly right, I don't think I could miss that.
Honestly I think an 18" chute would be just enough to watch it drift off over the turnpike. Heh.

I've been working on my Star Orbiter this week. Upgraded it with the plywood fins and centering rings, got the filets down with JB, and i started thinking. Considering I'm looking at F motors, and the field isn't huge, might I be better off with a streamer recovery? She's got a heavy butt what with the plywood and the retention ring, but I can't help feeling that the 18" chute would just cause too much drift. I was debating between a 12" chute with a spill hole cut, or else a long streamer. Had anyone tried a non-stock recovery on their Star Orbiter?
View attachment 582885

They fly fine Stock with Balsa, JB weld isn't even needed in L2 rockets, I have flown Estes rockets with just gorilla glue to on an I205 at 2.5" diameter

They fly fine Stock with Balsa, JB weld isn't even needed in L2 rockets, I have flown Estes rockets with just gorilla glue to on an I205 at 2.5" diameter
That's good to hear! I still like filets, though. Even if it's not necessary for this build, they just make the transition look smoother to me. That's very much a personal preference. I'm not building this to win any speed or height awards, just to have fun with the kids but nice and sturdy just in case! 😁

+1 on the JLCR. I’ve flown one in a BT-60 before, works great just make sure the chute release is above the attachment point of the shock cord or you might rip it out. JLCRs are super fun, there’s always that “is it gunna work” suspense lol.

+1 on the JLCR. I’ve flown one in a BT-60 before, works great just make sure the chute release is above the attachment point of the shock cord or you might rip it out. JLCRs are super fun, there’s always that “is it gunna work” suspense lol.
I get that with the clingy polyethylene chutes and sometimes they do behave like JLCRs. I owe recovery of at least one rocket to this.

1000007695.jpg
I sent her maiden launch back in July on an E12. And I'm glad I kept it "low," because we caught a good upper breeze and I had a hard time recovering it! I used a streamer, but next time I'll use a small chute. Landing was hard and it creased the tube very slightly, but nothing that can't be repaired.

Jolly Logic chute release will fit fine 😃

Could end up kinking a tube coming down too fast on a streamer....lots of lever there.
This. EXACTLY this happened. Very mildly though. Just ahead of the fins, I might just fly it again, but it's in a place I could probably cut and reinforce if I chose to.

A stock built Star Orbiter, at about 6oz, should be fine on a streamer, unless it hits really hard ground. I put 4" x 48" streamers in both of mine, and still lost the 1st one on an F15-8! With all that plywood in the back, though, I wouldn't want it hitting my car on a streamer. Building it to separate in the middle should help descent rate.

I don't use parachutes in anything, including my BT-80 Broadsword (Super Big Bertha). The key is using 2 streamers (one towards the middle of the shock cord) to get the rocket to descend sideways instead of tail down. Correction, my LOC kits use a small nylon parachute but only because they don't go that high and are heavy. . My Star Orbiter is only using the Bottom tube and has a 24mm motor mount.

Last edited:
I've done a Star Orbiter with a 12" Estes chute with a spill hole and I can tell you it hits kind of hard with that set-up. I would recommend a 15" chute. If your streamer is very very long, and the field is soft, you might be able to get away with it. But be aware that broken or snapped off fins are a possibility. I've recently built a Star Orbiter with cardstocked fins over balsa, and I fiberglassed the tube with 1.5oz cloth. It can probably take a G motor, but I'll never see it again. Need to get myself a decent tracker for it, and then I might try some extreme altitude flights with that one.

I've done a Star Orbiter with a 12" Estes chute with a spill hole and I can tell you it hits kind of hard with that set-up. I would recommend a 15" chute. If your streamer is very very long, and the field is soft, you might be able to get away with it. But be aware that broken or snapped off fins are a possibility. I've recently built a Star Orbiter with cardstocked fins over balsa, and I fiberglassed the tube with 1.5oz cloth. It can probably take a G motor, but I'll never see it again. Need to get myself a decent tracker for it, and then I might try some extreme altitude flights with that one.
Okay, I like this idea of a 15" with a spill hole. That should keep it coming down fairly straight. The maiden flight was successful enough on a D12 but the streamer recovery meant it came down pretty hard. Good thing for those plywood fins.

Back