Star orbiter rock sim

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrace

Reaction score
Does anybody have a link to a rock sim file for Estes star orbiter? My search didn't list anything by Estes that new

I have been also, I would do it myself save for those fins I would mangle.

Tinker

I've been told not to give out simulation files for legal reason but I can provide you with these images. From a stability standpoint you can install just about any motor up to a H and be stable. I'm not saying the model will hold together but it will be stable. In the Case of an H220 the 14 second delay actually works a little better.

John Boren

Star Orbiter Fin.jpg

Star Orbiter.jpg

Thanks! I actually made my fins out of plywood and it flies really well and pretty tough. I have flown it up to f26fj might try some g motors but that gets it pretty high so the odds of losing it pretty good. Great rocket for $20 though.

Also, my thanks! I never tried to do a fin like that in RS, so that will be neat to learn. This is mega helpful as I was adding the Apogee BT-60 Dual Deploy kit and I wanted to be able to sim it correctly.

I applaud the simple and open (in terms of motors and tube size) design by Estes! I will probably kit bash my staged/cluster rocket from several of the kit.

Tinker

I've flown an almost stock one - balsa fins, built with wood glues only - on the F26FJ-9. Nice flights to just over 2000 feet (as reported by onboard AltimeterThree). No problem. In fact, Rich may well have seen one or both of those flights as they were at TCR last June. Always with a JL Chute Release set at 300 feet :D.

The "almost stock" bit is that I used a JT-60C, a ply disk and a screw eye to turn the upper five inches or so into a payload section

It's so light that finding a G or a baby H that won't take it to Mach 1 territory is an interesting little problem. That's where I would worry.

IMG_6825.jpg

It's so light that finding a G or a baby H that won't take it to Mach 1 territory is an interesting little problem. That's where I would worry.

With epoxy and papering the fins, do you think this can break Mach 1 w/o returning in pieces? I looked at maybe a H165 or an H182 if I don't want to buy the 29mm RMS. (I have 38mm)

Tinker

Maybe an H73 or H97 would work. I haven't seen their thrust curves but they might not allow this model to fly to fast. Either way anything over an F and you better have a really large field for recovery.

John Boren

Either way anything over an F and you better have a really large field for recovery.

John Boren

I live two towns away from Hartsel Colorado. Its like a field with ankle high grass half the size of Rhode Island at 8800 feet. Its what made me get back into rocketry. :)

Thanks again for the help!

Tinker

We have a launch there tomorrow.

John Boren

I will try to make it the next launch instead of going to Hartsel. The guys at the COSROCS meeting just told me who you were. Thanks so much for taking the time to get back to us and give us the fin data.

Look forward to meeting you.

Tinker

I launched mine with an Estes G40-7 single-use composite and it held together.......went out of sight, though. I had the chute release set for 300', got lucky and saw it after it had deployed. It was about 1/4 mile downwind when I saw it around 200'. I had one of those cheesy Estes altimeters onboard, all that was left of it was the metal clip and a bit of plastic, not sure if the acceleration got it or ejection! It was well over 2000', that is for sure. I have since converted it to dual deploy and will be trying a variety of motors on it the weekend of Dec. 8-9. I've only flown it once since converting it, and it was with an Estes BP E16-6. The altimiter (Stratologger CF) reported 1305' which looked about right, with a main ejection set for 400' and the event actually taking place at 340'.

Back