Star Blazer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 13

Reaction score
I posted most of this over at Ye olde rocketry forum, but I'll repost it hear.

In December I started to clone the Astron Star Blazer. The one from the early '70s with the cockpit. After some discussion about what size engine mount to put in it I went with a 13mm. This is a small light rocket that was designed for a "S" motor and the 13mm seemed to be the correct choice instead of cutting down 18mm motors.

The cockpit was the part that was worrying me, but it went very smoothly. The instructions are mostly clear and easy to understand.

ckpit.jpg

sb1.jpg

Here are all the parts.

The fins are 1/16th balsa. Very thin.

I used a Semroc BT-20 cut to the 2 lengths, and I think it was a Semroc nosecone BNC-20N (It could be a BMS cone), 1/16 balsa stock, and as mentioned a 13mm engine mount.

sb2.jpg

Construction mostly done.

One mod I made was adding a length of Kevlar to the engine mount and then attach the shock cord to that.

StrBlzr.jpg

I still don't know if I will use a streamer or small parachute. I'm kind of worried about the thin fins breaking.

StrBlzr1.jpg

It's all painted. I'm not happy with the masking.

I went with the catalog red white and blue pattern. I have been using Frog tape to mask lately and I have had very good results, but this time the paint seeped under the tape and made for a rough edge. I'm cleaning that up by hand. That will take some time.

I don't think I'll put the decal on it.

It's a fun build, and looks very retro with the cockpit and chines.

sbazer.jpg

Last edited:

I went with the catalog red white and blue pattern. I have been using Frog tape to mask lately and I have had very good results, but this time the paint seeped under the tape and made for a rough edge. I'm cleaning that up by hand. That will take some time.

I was a big fan of Frog tape but I have noticed that it doesn't work well in the cold. Was yours in the cold when applied?

Hmm. It was around 60f in my basement. The blue is worse than the red. I used frog tape on my mini shuttle and orbital goonieceptor with great results.

Mark

I still don't know if I will use a streamer or small parachute. I'm kind of worried about the thin fins breaking.
I use a streamer in mine and I haven't broken any fins yet (sound of knocking on wood). There isn't a lot of room in there for a parachute.

disclaimer: Since rejoining the hobby, I've only flown it at Amesbury when the grass is fairly long so that could be the reason that the fins are still intact.

I was a big fan of Frog tape too and my first few project using it were the best I've done. THe last few have dwindled back to my prior level of mediocrity. I thought maybe I had picked up a couple of rolls from a bad lot but its interesting hearing that others are having problems too. As too the cold, that can be a RARE issue in my neck of the woods but I don't recall using it in the cold.

Nice looking rocket!

Great looking Starblazer-1 Mach-7:
You should also clone the slightly later Starblazer, I call it the Starblazer-II, it has a canopy also and a very different look. I still have a 13mm Starblazer-II flying so I downscaled both for Micro motors in T4 body size. I'm pretty sure the flat wing StarBlazer is also listed on Jim-Z or Yorf is nother else.

Last edited:
Thanks,

The "new" Star Blazer is cool looking also, I'll add it to the list.

The main reason I built this one was the canopy. I wanted to see if I could do a good job on it. It's such an odd thing on a flying rocket, but indicative of the '60 Estes kits. Here is a bunch of stuff in raw form-now build it! No laser cut fins, plastic nose cones, or any other fancy stuff. Just use your skill (or lack of) and build it. It was only around for 2 years so I guess the canopy was too much for us kids in the early '70s.

Thanks,

The "new" Star Blazer is cool looking also, I'll add it to the list.

The main reason I built this one was the canopy. I wanted to see if I could do a good job on it. It's such an odd thing on a flying rocket, but indicative of the '60 Estes kits. Here is a bunch of stuff in raw form-now build it! No laser cut fins, plastic nose cones, or any other fancy stuff. Just use your skill (or lack of) and build it. It was only around for 2 years so I guess the canopy was too much for us kids in the early '70s.

Nah! There were quite a few Canopy clad or models with cardstock ducts and other features on models back in the day. As a matter if fact, Estes had a Cardstock sheet of canopies, ducts and intakes that could be purchased seperately IIRC.
I think it's as you said though: Folks just don't want to use their imagination anymore. If it's not specifically given.. it's not done. I see the same lack of independent thinking in the work force as well, now if ever single thing isn't spelled out in exact detail Mechanics can no longer "figure it out". Another extremely Sad Truth;)

I guess I worded my post poorly. (Me? never!)

In reference to the canopy, I meant the carved balsa canopy not the paper ones.

sorry for the misunderstanding.:eek:

I do think canopies really make a rocket look nice. If I remember I think Centuri had more of them than Estes. I know my Mach 10, and Space Shuttle have them. Most of my Estes rockets have decal canopies, Orbital Transport, Orbital Interceptor, Argosy.

Any way they all look good!

I've been looking to do a Star Blazer of my own. I still have the instruction set from my original kit, but no fin pattern. There's no fin pattern at YORP either. Might I ask if you could scan the fin pattern you used and post it?

I love the original Star Blazer, too.....I did a similar 13mm-mount clone a few years ago but did it in the original black/white color scheme from the original kit instructions. I should take a picture and post it....

Back