Staging with an Aft Electronics Bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRWXXA

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As I work to recertify L1 and L2, I am designing my post-L2 project which is a 4" upscale of the Estes Omega, 2 stage payloader. So far my design, incorporates and aft E-bay in the sustainer for the stage sep. and motor airstarting, with a traditional, mid-airframe E-bay for recovery (the booster will recover on motor ejection).

I know I could put all the electronics in the forward E-bay, but I am trying to avoid the recovery system snag potential, and additional failure points of a pigtail for the separation charge and starter running through the lower airframe.

I haven't seen another 2 stage rocket like this, and I was wondering if I am off base and missing some issue with this plan.

The smaller, more capable electronics, and lightweight batteries, compared to when I was doing this last century, don't seem to make CG a problem.

Thanks in advance for any coments and assistance.

4- Inch Omega Finished.jpg4- Inch Omega.jpg

I haven't seen another 2 stage rocket like this, and I was wondering if I am off base and missing some issue with this plan.
The reason you have not seen it is because your concerns are not founded. The standard configuration will not fail if configured appropriately.

I have used the zipperless coupler to house my staging electronics multi times. I have also used the standard e-bay for the staging electronics with no problems. They both work.

I’ve done exactly what you have here. It works well, it’s a little bit heavier but it works well. Just remember to remove the ejection charge from the sustainer motor. I have a motor case up in Pawnee Grassland somewhere. 🥲

edit: on small rockets I don’t know how else to do it, stuffing all the electronics, wires, and recovery in there. It turns into a tangled mess. Much easier to put a small payload above the motor.

Last edited:
Back