Staging wiring test stand.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimothyG

Reaction score
I'm hoping to run tape covered copper foil on an upcoming two stage project. Thought I'd run a quick test at 1.5 motor length to verify the design would work. If you have better ideas im open to suggestions but ill probably fly this at least once to see if it works.

Attachments

• 20200707_223904.jpg
    20200707_223904.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200707_223855.jpg
    20200707_223855.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200707_223842.jpg
    20200707_223842.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 34
Short answer I solder most everything now to avoid terminal blocks and poor connections. I like being ready to go before I leave to attend a launch so this fits my assembly schedule for most rockets.

I've built a 3D printed sled that attaches to the forward closure with an insulation disk for heat that carries my pressure logging computer and at the moment the eggtimer quantum computer and batteries and switches. This controller assembly will have leads soldered directly to these copper strips which will be essentially a bolted on component of the motor itself. I'd like to have the copper foil assembly preassebled and igniter soldered all together so that at the pad the sustainer setup is a peel and stick sticker of sorts. I just tested this setup a few moments ago and learned I needed a switch to do a proper count down as I thought I had an enormous amount of latency. Turns out it was just me fumbling around with the battery. I also tested it tonight removing a strip amounting to 50% of the foil on both leads to verify that the assembly could still operate an igniter after some "damage". Everything worked as planned so now I'll have to figure out the rest of the details. Good news is this "sticker" is only about .007 inch tall so should easily fit between the airframe and motor on min dia sustainer.

I have always used "Gecko" wire aka Taper wire for this. Taperwire.com

Jim

Back