Quantcast

Staging MicroMaxx

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Antares JS

Reaction score
So, I've tried flying my Fliskits Doubles twice now and both times, the sustainer failed to ignite and the rocket lawn darted. I am using an NE motor in the booster and taping the motors together per the instructions. I've seen other threads swearing this works, but with two failures now I'm starting to wonder if I should sprinkle a few grains of BP down the forward end of the booster or use a wire to dab a tiny bit of quickdip in the nozzle of the sustainer.

I'd like to hear about other people's experiences staging Micromaxx motors and see if there's anything I can do to make this a bit more reliable.

GlenP

Reaction score
I have not tried to stage MMX, but when I have had an ignition failure with a 13 or 18 mm motor, to help ensure proper ignition next time, just single stage, I will take the smallest drill bit in my set and lightly spin it with my fingers to expose new black powder in the nozzle, in case there was some charred material left over from the ignition that misfired. Not sure if you can find a drill bit small enough to lightly scratch the surface of the powder in a MMX nozzle, or if that technique is considered an engine modification and against NAR safety code. Maybe that might help a sustainer to light as well?

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've launched the Doubles twice, both times the sustainer motor ignited.
Glen's suggestion about scuffing up the BP couldn't hurt.
The nozzle is so small you would probably have to use a needle or pin.
An ice pick is too wide.
The booster motors' delay is disconcerting. The first time the sustainer backslid before igniting and the second stage wound up going near horizontal. Second launch was better.
Good luck.