Staging & Cosmodrome Aerobee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spurkey

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing the Cosmodrome Aerobee kit and taking that first step into building e-bays and using electronics. I was wondering if anyone here has built the kit in 2-stage form and had any advice to share, specifically regarding staging & electronics. Also, I was planning on getting the kit from Apogee (whenever it gets back in stock:confused2::mad:) and they seem to recommend the MiniTimer3:

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Staging_Timer.asp

Does anyone have any experience with this one? I searched this forum and didn't find any references to it. Thanks!

When I built mine I built the ebay for my mini timer in a bay at the head end of the motor mount.This is the sustainer motormount.
DSC00199.jpg

Here it is with the hatch open where the timer mounts.
DSC00202.jpg

I used the MiniTimer staging the Aerobee, worked a treat......the second time!
Oof, that sucks losing a rocket like that. Were you able to piece together why it didn't light? Ie: did the igniter fire and the motor not catch, or did the igniter fail?
When I built mine I built the ebay for my mini timer in a bay at the head end of the motor mount.This is the sustainer motormount.
Pretty slick, did you build that using Apogee's extra instructions? It looks like your hatch is in the same place as theirs:

https://www.apogeerockets.com/images/Aerobee-Hi-electronics.jpg

What keeps the hatch cover on? Lastly, most places seem to recommend the First Fire igniters, would a Copperhead work or does it draw too much for a 9v battery? What other igniters would work?

Lastly, most places seem to recommend the First Fire igniters, would a Copperhead work or does it draw too much for a 9v battery? What other igniters would work?

I doubt that anyone would recommend using a Copperhead for ignition of a second stage motor. They have a reputation for unreliability, and in addition, you'd have a real problem figuring out how to wire it to the electronics, since it doesn't have two wire leads.

Oof, that sucks losing a rocket like that. Were you able to piece together why it didn't light? Ie: did the igniter fire and the motor not catch, or did the igniter fail?Pretty slick, did you build that using Apogee's extra instructions? It looks like your hatch is in the same place as theirs:

https://www.apogeerockets.com/images/Aerobee-Hi-electronics.jpg

What keeps the hatch cover on? Lastly, most places seem to recommend the First Fire igniters, would a Copperhead work or does it draw too much for a 9v battery? What other igniters would work?

Yes I used their extra instructions to build it like that it seemed like the logical way to build it without having to run the lines to the igniter through the whole body tube and figuring out how to have them break apart.To ignite the sustainer I used a rocketflite e-match that I borrowed from somebody in my club it worked perfectly.When I fly it again I plan on using a CTI motor.

Oh and to add I used some extra pieces of body tube I had laying around and epoxied it to the inside of the ebay and I use small screws to hold the hatch cover on.

Last edited:
I would love to buy that kit, but I have not seen it sold for quite some time.

Chuck

Yes I used their extra instructions to build it like that it seemed like the logical way to build it without having to run the lines to the igniter through the whole body tube and figuring out how to have them break apart.To ignite the sustainer I used a rocketflite e-match that I borrowed from somebody in my club it worked perfectly.When I fly it again I plan on using a CTI motor.

Oh and to add I used some extra pieces of body tube I had laying around and epoxied it to the inside of the ebay and I use small screws to hold the hatch cover on.

This is a good rocket to learn composite staging...and being a scale project adds to the challenge.
I flown mine several times with a GWiz in the payload bay inside the nose cone...I didn't want to cut up the sustainer airframe which is a little tight for fitting electronics.

The wires to the sustainer motor were set up to disconnect upon main parachute ejection and seperation of the nose cone...(I did not make it DD...which I may try when I get another to build).

Never had the sustainer fail to light.......

I did have a problem (twice in a row) with those older single use AT G-80s catoing and destroying the booster on the pad....(note: I now use AT RMS G-79's and per suggestions of most fliers....use a four second delay in the booster motor.....)
https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/cos_aerobee_hi.shtml

Last edited:
I emailed Cosmodrome about this kit and he said he should have them out in about four to six weeks (about two weeks ago) I am desperately waiting for one of these and I would like to set it up dual deployment. He said that he will announce the kit on TRF and TRP and on his website when they are available.

I emailed Cosmodrome about this kit and he said he should have them out in about four to six weeks (about two weeks ago) I am desperately waiting for one of these and I would like to set it up dual deployment. He said that he will announce the kit on TRF and TRP and on his website when they are available.

I'm working on getting the decals out to the printer. Once I get a batch of NS, NA and BBII out I'll start working on the Aerobee hi again.

This is a good rocket to learn composite staging...and being a scale project adds to the challenge.
I flown mine several times with a GWiz in the payload bay inside the nose cone...I didn't want to cut up the sustainer airframe which is a little tight for fitting electronics.

The wires to the sustainer motor were set up to disconnect upon main parachute ejection and seperation of the nose cone...(I did not make it DD...which I may try when I get another to build).

Never had the sustainer fail to light.......

I did have a problem (twice in a row) with those older single use AT G-80s catoing and destroying the booster on the pad....(note: I now use AT RMS G-79's and per suggestions of most fliers....use a four second delay in the booster motor.....)
https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/cos_aerobee_hi.shtml

What did you use for connectors on the lines running to the motor?

Awesome, I can't wait to get one from you. If I can talk my wife into the extra cash I might help clear you out on a couple of those other kits just to help the process along. :D

Last edited:

This sounds pretty cool, can you provide any more information about why and how you did this? I thought the nose cone was solid, turned from balsa, is it actually hollowed out or did you do that yourself to make the payload bay? Since you didn't make it DD, why did you decide to go with the GWiz? Like Luv2launch I'm also curious about how you hooked up and ran the connections.
I'm working on getting the decals out to the printer. Once I get a batch of NS, NA and BBII out I'll start working on the Aerobee hi again.
Cool! I don't know which I'm more excited for: the Aerobee or the Vostok. :)

Back