Staged Terrier Sandhawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilly

Reaction score
Anyone have some thoughts on the best method, excluding a timer? I know there's been some threads on this but would like to know what the general consensus is. I'd like to get my hands on the Estes kit and try gap-staging it but booster recovery is obviously an issue. Is it strong enough to beef up a little and just let it fall?

A thought: 5-motor cluster, with 3 C6-0's ducted together for staging, and two C6-3's isolated with tubing all the way into the transition (they would hold the chutes or streamers). Seems to me that would greatly reduce the probability of only one group of motors igniting. The sustainer would be an E9-6.

There's a way to get a 3 fin booster glide like a glider on its own. Hopefully someone can chime in on how to do it. I've seen it done.

Originally posted by Chilly
Anyone have some thoughts on the best method, excluding a timer? I know there's been some threads on this but would like to know what the general consensus is. I'd like to get my hands on the Estes kit and try gap-staging it but booster recovery is obviously an issue. Is it strong enough to beef up a little and just let it fall?

A thought: 5-motor cluster, with 3 C6-0's ducted together for staging, and two C6-3's isolated with tubing all the way into the transition (they would hold the chutes or streamers). Seems to me that would greatly reduce the probability of only one group of motors igniting. The sustainer would be an E9-6.

I like this idea. Maybe you could scratch build a boilerplate model to test out the idea, before risking a proper scale kit.

Jetra did something similar and I believe it was succesful.

Jason, you'd better answer that.

Hi Mikey here ,I got the specs and design from Jason anmd I built one.It looks great the booster is a fair size and has 2 vent holes just before the coupler.
This rocket really rips and is one of my favorites in my growing fleet.
Do a search for sandhawk terrier or jettra that should bring it up for you.
Otherwise I'm sure Jettra will repost it or I can always dig out my specs and fin guide for it.

I use a C6-0 or D12 -0 for the booster and and C6-7 for the sustainer.

mikey

OOOH! Someone built one of my designs? COOL!

Post pics! :D

Jason

Originally posted by GL-P
There's a way to get a 3 fin booster glide like a glider on its own. Hopefully someone can chime in on how to do it. I've seen it done.

Here is a plan that has a gliding booster. I built one years ago and it glided pretty good. I still have the booster but have gone through a couple of sustainers. :rolleyes:

Of course back then you could use an A8-0 staged to a 1/2A6-4 and get it all back.

https://www.dars.org/jimz/eirp_22.htm

Back